Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am utterly amazed at how fast the analysts and Treo community jumped on the negative Foleo bandwagon.

This product is exactly what I've been looking for.

Ask yourself a few questions. Those of you who have laptops and desktops, what percentage d you use of each of your programs? Disregard the exceptions. I would say majority of people use somewhere in the following percentage:

Web Browsing: 50%
    Email: 20%
    Word, Excel, Power Point:10%
    Other: 10%
    Palm just released a simple line that accomplishes most of what everyone uses on their laptop and desktops It doesn’t have to do everything. That’s why the M$ O/S sucks. It tries to do too much, and the result is SLOW, BUGGY software.

These are the reasons why I want a Foleo NOW!

1. I want to be able to browse the web on something other than a 2inch screen wherever and whenever I am. I don't want to boot my laggy laptop

2. I love the idea of instant on. In the car, the airport, in a meeting, I can’t wait!

3. I love how small and light the Foleo is. I am thinking of replacing my paper Foleo and just carrying this unit to meetings. I use Access a lot, but I certainly don't need it everywhere. I can use my desktop back at the office for these needs. Light, thin, and a clean look is what I want to carry around most of the time.

4. Battery life kicks A$$.

5. Seamless sync with my Treo? This is something that bothered me about my laptop. It's not seamless at all.

6. 256MB of memory is fine. Don't forget this unit has a CF, SD, and USB slot for external memory. At the rate memory drops in price, there is no need to put a huge chunk of internal memory. The speed of the external will be the same!

7. Can anyone say LINUX?! This is one of the best parts of the whole thing. I know that Palm only has a few apps for the Foleo, but the Linux community is so massive, that I expect to see more apps for this device than for Garnet, in a very short time frame.

8. $500 is a lot of money? Are you kidding me? My friend just bought a mini
    Sony for over $2000. Yeah it’s small, but it's heavy, and the keyboard is not much bigger than the Treo.

9. Palm prides itself in simple clean, fast software. The Foleo is so attractive to me because it doesn't have all the MS BS BLOATWARE. This is not a shortfall, but an advantage.

10. In my office, I am limited to the Websites and email I can check on the Company laptop. This will give me the opportunity to use my Foleo to do whatever I need to do without Big Brother looking over my shoulder.

To all the naysayers, I think you will be in for a very big surprise. This Foleo will be a great "Companion" to my Treo. And don't forget, Palm isn't stopping the Treo development; this is simply an addition to the line.
    I look forward to seeing this product line evolve. The first generation of the Treo wasn’t all that either.

Kevin [ezegna]
    to Treo or not to Treo, now that is the question
    welcome (back) to TreoCentral and enjoy your Fooleo!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    These are the reasons why I want a Foleo NOW!

1. I want to be able to browse the web on something other than a 2inch screen wherever and whenever I am. I don't want to boot my laggy laptop
    As do I. The Asus EEE PC 701 can do this.

2. I love the idea of instant on. In the car, the airport, in a meeting, I can’t wait!
    That's great. But I can handle 15 seconds.

3. I love how small and light the Foleo is. I am thinking of replacing my paper Foleo and just carrying this unit to meetings. I use Access a lot, but I certainly don't need it everywhere. I can use my desktop back at the office for these needs. Light, thin, and a clean look is what I want to carry around most of the time.
    The Foleo is far from light from what it lacks. 2.5lbs? It should be way less than that. There's Lenovo Thinkpads that weigh less than that.

4. Battery life kicks A$$.
    5 hours? I would expect at least 7 hours. This device only does a few things. Although it does beat the puny 3 hour battery life of the Asus EEE PC 701.

5. Seamless sync with my Treo? This is something that bothered me about my laptop. It's not seamless at all.
    Maybe, I don't know. I don't have a Treo so I'm not going to go here.

6. 256MB of memory is fine. Don't forget this unit has a CF, SD, and USB slot for external memory. At the rate memory drops in price, there is no need to put a huge chunk of internal memory. The speed of the external will be the same!
    The Asus EEE PC 701 comes with 512 MB of ram. Has a media card reader, comes with 4 GB's of SSD. Upgradeable to 8 or 16 GB's of SSD. Also comes with an ethernet jack, phone line jack, 802.11g WIFI, and USB ports.

7. Can anyone say LINUX?! This is one of the best parts of the whole thing. I know that Palm only has a few apps for the Foleo, but the Linux community is so massive, that I expect to see more apps for this device than for Garnet, in a very short time frame.
    Yeah but on the Asus you can install any Linux OS you want. Or for that matter, any Windows OS you want.

8. $500 is a lot of money? Are you kidding me? My friend just bought a mini
    Sony for over $2000. Yeah it’s small, but it's heavy, and the keyboard is not much bigger than the Treo.
    It is a lot of money. Remember to add in the Treo for an additional 500 dollars. Oh and that Asus PC 701 can do all of that for 200 dollars.

9. Palm prides itself in simple clean, fast software. The Foleo is so attractive to me because it doesn't have all the MS BS BLOATWARE. This is not a shortfall, but an advantage.
    Same with the Asus.

10. In my office, I am limited to the Websites and email I can check on the Company laptop. This will give me the opportunity to use my Foleo to do whatever I need to do without Big Brother looking over my shoulder.
    Which can be done on the Asus for 300 dollars less money.
    Last edited by LoganT; 06/10/2007 at 11:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I'll bet the Foleo is available before asus releases the Asus EEE PC 701. Also the Asus EEE PC 701. has a 7 inch screen and the foleo is 10 inch.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Y'know if Palm REALLY thought this concept of phone + Foleo was the winning concept, they'd radically small-ify the Treo.

Then you'd have a tiny little thing in your pocket (oooh, let's say, the size of a Pearl - hahahahaha, what a novel concept to have something as small as that with such a great amount of functionality; who would be so bold as to do that? -- or an SDA?) and a Foleo.

Instead they're selling a small brick (Treo) and a large brick (Foleo).

Oh, and they'd install some lightness into the Foleo to bring it under 0.5 kg.

I don't think I will pre-order. I might get a BT keyboard though and do without the add-on brick entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    I'll bet the Foleo is available before asus releases the Asus EEE PC 701. Also the Asus EEE PC 701. has a 7 inch screen and the foleo is 10 inch.
    August is when the Asus comes out. And in 2008 there will be a 10" screen Asus.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezegna View Post
    I am utterly amazed at how fast the analysts and Treo community jumped on the negative Foleo bandwagon.
    Palm should be too - or actually, maybe they shouldn't be. Ok, actually they probably are amazed at the vitriol which tells you everything you need to know about Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by ezegna View Post
    This product is exactly what I've been looking for.
    PT Barnum had a name for folks like you.

Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    Also the Asus EEE PC 701. has a 7 inch screen and the foleo is 10 inch.
    So what you're telling me is Palm has already come up with the first "over-sized," brick of a companion compared to the competition?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    ezegna is probably an undercover Palm employee...
    you can't 'believe how fast we are jumping on the negative bandwagon'?

maybe that's because your amazed with even the slowest of things.

1. you want 'something with a screen bigger than 2 inches'?
    and yet even if you get that, you still won't get 'the big picture'

2. instant on in the car? are you insane? who's your driver? ray charles?
    instant on in the airport? it doesn't take a long line to an xray machine to tell your head has a hamster on a wheel doing the guess work.

3.your going to 'replace your paper foleo huh'
    well as matt foley said 'ive heard the only papers you've been using haven't been for writing, but for doobie rollin, your gonna be doing a lot of doobie rollin, when your living in a van, down by the river'

4.the battery life kicks ***?
    if you buy this as is. there is something being done to your ***,

5.seamless syncing? I can tell you like to dictate without having to think about it

6.ah 'memory drops in price so much anyway' that is an interesting thought process
    'its so cheap palm doesn't need to include it because that would be wasting a lot of money'

7.linux eh? now your justifying a 600$ expense because it comes with something that's free and comes with any 10$ linux magazine. you'd make a good used car salesman.

8.again your right. $500 is not a lot of money for a computer. that's not the argument. the argument is 500$ is too much for a paperweight. ironicly, a paperweight designed to get rid of paper.

9.small, simple, clean, and fast. do yourself a favor. don't use that line on women.

10. I sympathize with you about this. you want to work without being spied on by big brother. and yet, I have a feeling a lot of co workers will be watching you, pointing and laughing.
    Last edited by mattlaughs; 06/10/2007 at 06:38 PM.
    [QUOTE=migs;1282207]ezegna is probably an undercover Palm employee...[/QUOTE

That`s EXACTLY what this is.
    look at the polls, a big big majority think its crap. I think it will be the laughingstock of the tech world. you guys don't have to keep thinking of ways to defend/like the foleo, our 1st instinct already did, we didnt like it.
    I will tell ya one thing. the foleo is already making my work easier for me.
    The reason Palm made the Foleo, is for the Next gen Treo. I think it will be flip style, all screen or like the m68. Not for our current treos.

Also, I think Palm was a bit over the top and out of place for calling the Foleo a "new category".
    It is a Palm Laptop.
    If the Foleo was more like the N800 and you could sync the treo.

Then Palm would have a winner.

I don't need a 3lb laptop. a tablet style would rock.
    I actually agree with ezegna and I certainly don't work for Palm.

I don't like laptops b/c they're loud (ugh, CPU fans?), they get hot (remember, they're not suppose to go on your lap anymore) and for my needs they are overkill. My m5n is nice and light but I still prefer a Foleo (in theory, I need to see more first) because it is simple, fast, to the point and no fuss.

The problem with the Foleo was we were all prepared for something very different, very innovative, and really exciting. Something that everyone would want and embrace.

The Foleo is not any of those and the "majority" feel screwed.

But for a group of us who find laptops to be overkill and poor performers (they are) this does fill a certain need.

If you don't travel or commute, need more advanced PC features and really like your laptop, then yeah...this is a very difficult sell.

Honestly, I think there are both extremes here: it's not an amazing device, but it's also not a worthless one. It's just not a universally needed or wanted as a smartphone today but for some of us it is exactly what we need.

Filling niche markets though might not be good business, but it'll be interesting to see how the Foleo develops both in terms of software and future versions. I think once 3rd party programs start getting announced, we may think of other users and needs for it. Or maybe not.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    you don't like laptops because they're loud? holy smokes that is funny. what is even funnier is that you so much like the Foleo without having ever laid a finger on one. you almost sound like some of the apple fans on this site which you seem to enjoy poking fun at. where in god's name did you get the info that laptops are poor performers? do you really believe that the Fooleo is a better performing machine? i suppose Palm's specifications must be enough for you but anything out of the apple iPhone camp is heresay.

funny stuff...justify at will.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    lol. nicely put, oalvarez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Y'know if Palm REALLY thought this concept of phone + Foleo was the winning concept, they'd radically small-ify the Treo.

Then you'd have a tiny little thing in your pocket (oooh, let's say, the size of a Pearl - hahahahaha, what a novel concept to have something as small as that with such a great amount of functionality; who would be so bold as to do that? -- or an SDA?) and a Foleo.

Instead they're selling a small brick (Treo) and a large brick (Foleo).

Oh, and they'd install some lightness into the Foleo to bring it under 0.5 kg.

I don't think I will pre-order. I might get a BT keyboard though and do without the add-on brick entirely.
    I remember someone hinting about this..... Oh yeah! It was Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    you don't like laptops because they're loud? holy smokes that is funny. what is even funnier is that you so much like the Foleo without having ever laid a finger on one. you almost sound like some of the apple fans on this site which you seem to enjoy poking fun at. where in god's name did you get the info that laptops are poor performers? do you really believe that the Fooleo is a better performing machine? i suppose Palm's specifications must be enough for you but anything out of the apple iPhone camp is heresay.

funny stuff...justify at will.
    The real question is why should I have to justify my preferences to you?

That's what it is after all: preference.

Did I mention anything about how this device will change the world? That everyone should want one? That it is a technological marvel and a good value? I have said none of those.

And I posted without being condescending or mocking.

Let me be more clear since you are not getting it-- I do not like laptops for the following reasons:

- Loud (yes, subcompacts like the Asus m5n is a loud laptop due to the CPU exhaust fan which has a heat pipe that connect to the harddrive. My laptop has a 10,000 rpm hard drive so in turn, it generates heat. My 1.6 ghz processor, likewise, generates a lot of heat and the the exhaust fan is...dun dun...loud. Here google it.)
    - Heat (see above)
    - Short battery life (2.5 hours on normal battery)
    - Microsoft XP (overkill for my needs on a laptop. XP is okay for desktop, poor for mobile)
    - Price ($1200)
    - Weight (3.2lbs)

In turn I hope to get rid of these things which I often need for long hours on a laptop:

You dare say " you almost sound like some of the apple fans on this site which you seem to enjoy poking fun at."?

When I put remarks like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    The problem with the Foleo was we were all prepared for something very different, very innovative, and really exciting. Something that everyone would want and embrace.

The Foleo is not any of those and the "majority" feel screwed.
    This says nothing about how I think the Foleo is hardly radical or revolutionary (it's not) and is lacking (technologically and in innovation).
    ...but I still prefer a Foleo (in theory, I need to see more first)
    Do you even read my posts? Does that really sound like fully embracing? That is the exact opposite of how people, including yourself, have been enamored with the iPhone.

I am merely open to the idea of the Foleo. The way they presented is something I could use.

You're purposely baiting me into a fight which does not exist. Any more posts like this and I'm simply reporting them.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/11/2007 at 02:16 AM.

Laptops ARE loud, but because they serve ALL my needs, they're for me!! Foleo, NOT for me! Too limited for the price.

The Asus WOULD work for me when I don't need tons of programs, but still need a laptop. Can't beat that entry price also!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Laptops ARE loud, but because they serve ALL my needs, they're for me!! Foleo, NOT for me! Too limited for the price.

The Asus WOULD work for me when I don't need tons of programs, but still need a laptop. Can't beat that entry price also!
    Exactly.

If you need all that a laptop can do then the Foleo is not even an option. Not even a point to debating it really.

If you need less than a laptop (and don't much care for them) then a Foleo is an option.

Obviously Palm has a big hill to climb to get this successful in the market place. It's going to require what has always set Palm apart from others: simplicity, ease of use and speed. We'll have to see if the Foleo lives up to that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast