Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It runs and edits Word, Excel and PP with Docs2Go aboard, so that is not correct.
    Using DocsToGo instead of MS Office. DTG is good but its still not 100% compatible with Office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Not yet. It is new, after all--not that that should make up for everything, but it can't have everything built in the first time around.
    Lack of Tabbed browsing would be less of an issue if the UI supported multiple browser windows. It doesn't, therefore browsing on the Fooleo will be less funtional than on a full laptop. Tabbed browsing should have been in 1.0.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Lack of Tabbed browsing would be less of an issue if the UI supported multiple browser windows. It doesn't, therefore browsing on the Fooleo will be less funtional than on a full laptop. Tabbed browsing should have been in 1.0.
    I actually agree somewhat--I'd like to have seen tabbed browsing in 1.0. I use it a lot in most desktop browsers. That said, especially since this is 1.0, the focus is KISS. Palm's targeting road warriors (at least first) more than techies, which, IMO, is part of the reason for the user backlash.

Using DocsToGo instead of MS Office. DTG is good but its still not 100% compatible with Office.
    I also see DtG on the Foleo as a 1.0 release--it's the first time DataViz has written it for a screen bigger than 320x480. So not 100%. For a lot of people, though, if it does what they need it to, who cares? (If it doesn't, ok, these are the people who will either be looking at alternatives to the Foleo or waiting for the next version. Let's just hope DataViz releases some free updates in there before the next paid one for the Foleo.)

Besides, what else was Palm going to do? M$ hasn't released Office for Linux, and OpenOffice would need some retooling.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Only Office is 100% compatible with Office, and it costs hundreds of dollars. (MS Office Standard 2007 lists for $399.99; street price is lower.) So if you're going to compare Office to DtG, you can't forget the price differential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Besides, what else was Palm going to do? M$ hasn't released Office for Linux, and OpenOffice would need some retooling.
    What Palm should have been doing (assuming they wish to stay in business) is improving the Palm OS Treos which is/was their core product. The 680 is only marginally better than the 650 (the CDMA versions do at least have 3G though). They are in danger of becoming just another vendor of WM smartphones in a crowded market. RIM has been aggressively improving its core product in the time since the 650 shipped, why hasn't Palm? Perhaps they have been too busy working on the Fooleo.

The main advantage PalmOS has over the competition is the large library of third party apps available including email clients and PIM applications. The Fooleo will not have those advantages, at least initially. I think the market will be very limited.
    The 680 is only marginally better than the 650
    I need to respecfully disagree with this, I had 2 Treo 650 and 1 Week with my 680... I resist upgrade to the 680 thinking that the upgrades were marginals as people said. NOTE TO SELF: Do not listen, next time upgrade sooner...

The 680 is a more robust and better device than the 650 hands down...
    Going back to the Foleo, I found this link...

http://palmorama.blogspot.com/2007/07/foleo-video.html

I WANT THAT INSTANT ON...
    Quote Originally Posted by apinaud View Post
    I need to respecfully disagree with this, I had 2 Treo 650 and 1 Week with my 680... I resist upgrade to the 680 thinking that the upgrades were marginals as people said. NOTE TO SELF: Do not listen, next time upgrade sooner...

The 680 is a more robust and better device than the 650 hands down...

Aside from the memory upgrades (which should improve the robustness) and lack of an antenna, in what other ways is the 680 improved? The new phone app does not appear to be an improvement, the new keyboard layout certainly isn't. Is the phone reception or bluetooth much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by apinaud View Post
    Going back to the Foleo, I found this link...

http://palmorama.blogspot.com/2007/07/foleo-video.html

I WANT THAT INSTANT ON...
    Instant on is essential in a PDA or Smartphone. I don't think it is as important in a laptop/subnotebook device. The Fooleo is sold as a smart phone companion so presumably if a fooleo user wanted to quick look something up, he/she could just use his or her Treo. The Treo browser is not wonderful but it works for a quick google search. If you need to lookup a phone number, the Fooleo isn't going to help much.
    Lack of Tabbed browsing would be less of an issue if the UI supported multiple browser windows. It doesn't...
    It does support multiple browser windows, but through an unsupported hack.

Can we keep the 680 discussion elsewhere?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Instant on is essential in a PDA or Smartphone. I don't think it is as important in a laptop/subnotebook device. The Fooleo is sold as a smart phone companion so presumably if a fooleo user wanted to quick look something up, he/she could just use his or her Treo. The Treo browser is not wonderful but it works for a quick google search. If you need to lookup a phone number, the Fooleo isn't going to help much.
    -- Maybe not for everyone, including yourself, but for a lot of other people, I'm guessing it will be. I know it's a huge selling point for myself. I really dislike booting up my laptop so much that I almost never shut it off now. I don't think that sheet to go will meet my needs when it comes to biochem work, but I also write a lot as a hobby, and an instant on laptop is something that I'd really like to take around with me. It will be especially handy while commuting on the subway.

For people who make a lot of powerpoint presentations, I'm sure the instant on feature is appealing for them too.

I'm not going to get rid of my laptop. It's huge screen, ability to play games, and all the other extra stuff that it can do is great. But for my day to day needs, I can really see myself using the Foleo more often.

(Or possibly at the same time. I USED to use both my laptop and desktop at the same time, until I decided that my desktop was taking up too much space, and gave that to my parents. Space is important to me, which is why I converted pretty much 100% to ebooks and audiobooks.)

--The second biggest seller for me is the lack of viruses that Foleo will get. I really HATE all the virses, spyware, adware, whatever that my laptop seems to inevitably get even though I do run anti-virus software. I just won't have to deal with that with the Foleo. And if the Foleo is anything like the the palm/treos that I'm used to. If I load too many programs onto that cause it to crash, I know how to easy reset the whole thing, and know how to figure out which program is causing it, and I can just avoid it. That's not a hassle to me as it is trying to figure out what's going wrong with my laptop.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 07/03/2007 at 01:57 PM.
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    It does support multiple browser windows, but through an unsupported hack.
    Interesting... can you point to more details?

Btw, one benefit I see in the single-app view is that it'll help me keep more focused. On a PC, I find myself switching back and forth from one window to another. On my Treo, it's more "switch only when needed"--so while I'd like to see tabbed browsing, I don't think I'd want to have a full Windows-style taskbar.

Agreed. As someone who's owned both, there is improvement; I won't go into the blow-by-blow here. One (on-topic) comment, though: the 650 won't be supported when it comes to a Foleo sync. At least not out of the box--I'm sure some developer out there will do something.

From what one of the Palm reps at the DC launch event last week said, because the 650 has an older version of Bluetooth (1.1, IIRC), it won't switch between what Bluetooth device it's actively connected to smoothly enough. Hmmm... being able to go from a Bluetooth sync to the Foleo to taking a phone call on a Bluetooth headset, updating info (like a meeting) mentioned in that call, sync again... all with one button per action.
    The 680 and the Fooleo both point to misdirected resources at Palm so I see them as related.
    The 680 and the Fooleo both point to misdirected resources at Palm so I see them as related.
    Well by that logic everything we talk about at TC is created by Palm, therefore why have any sub-forums at all--they're all related, right?

This is the Palm Foleo forum. The 680 has it's own and there is Treo General Chat.

And "fooleo"? Still in highshcool? Do you also put a "$" in MS too? Awesome.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well by that logic everything we talk about at TC is created by Palm, therefore why have any sub-forums at all--they're all related, right?

This is the Palm Foleo forum. The 680 has it's own and there is Treo General Chat.

And "fooleo"? Still in highshcool? Do you also put a "$" in MS too? Awesome.
    WM5 and WM6 were created by M$ and they are discussed here frequently.
    It's been a long time since I was in high school but I do like the way Fooleo rolls off the tongue and it seems an appropriate name for the device. Hawkins' Folly would be a bit long winded.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    ezegna is probably an undercover Palm employee...
    Nah, Media Image Consultant (and Jedi Master). "This is the crap you're looking for!)

Really, Palm needed a feature-less Linux device to hopefully get some feedback to use in the SmartPhone Linux edition. Think if it as LifeDrive #2, and that's exactly what it is: #2.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I am merely pre-empting the possibility here so as to not ruin this thread and to spare you people the drama ...
    This thread was ruined from the first post. I don't even know why I'm even reading it.
    ...All I know is that Palm employees have been using them [Foleos] for awhile and I would think they would have encountered some of these issues in development. Maybe,maybe not.
    Now we know the reason it takes so long to get anything done at Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Can you offer any insight about why 802.11b was selected instead of 802.11g?
    It's part of the Palm philosophy of trying to sell less, for more. They've done this since he beginning. My first Palm had like 2k or memory, and they've continued to package as little as they can get away with since then. Some of this minimalism has been good, but most of it just limited the growth rate of the PalmOs (in my opinion). They sould have been experimenting with ideas like dbcache as early as the treo 300, rather than waiting until the 650. They skimped on the power to the SD slot to the point that WiFi cards were not possible. The treo screens are still postage size small (although they doubled the resolution in each direction. They should have made bluetooth rock solid (and should have delayed it's introduction until they had this).

The rest of my ideas are too crackpot for me to share, so I won't.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345