Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I really don't think Palm is trying to go after just the business market with the Foleo. As told by Palm many times, they feel the future of computing is mobile computing. It seems they are trying to move people away from the standard computer and into phone/Foleo relationship. Ignore the current limitations of the Foleo, as hardware specs will get better as the product line matures.

Palm stated they are working to allow DUN through non-Palm phones. This will open the Foleo up to a much larger user base. Most people don't even know they can tether their phones to their laptops for internet access, nor do they want to deal with it. If the Foleo does access the internet through the phones as seamless as they say it will, I feel it will be something consumers will be interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They claim you can use this without the phone though. Without the PIM on your phone, what do you use then?
    I mean,these are all good questions which we have to wait and see to be answered.

All I know is that Palm employees have been using them for awhile and I would think they would have encountered some of these issues in development. Maybe,maybe not.

I guess at the sneak-peeks we can find out, at least if it is not answered soon, I'll ask in NYC.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Nick, the demos look all business and photo synch(the only fun thing so far) to me. Plus the price point implies business users. The reason Apple got away with charging so much for the iPhone is their name and history, but this device is lacking the bang for mass consumers. It's not slick and cool but does look very professional for business users. Which is probably better anyway. You may not want to beg your company to buy you a toy.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Nick, the demos look all business and photo synch(the only fun thing so far) to me. Plus the price point implies business users. The reason Apple got away with charging so much for the iPhone is their name and history, but this device is lacking the bang for mass consumers. It's not slick and cool but does look very professional for business users. Which is probably better anyway. You may not want to beg your company to buy you a toy.
    I can imagine the Foleo guy vs. Mac guy ad Apple may play in a few years. Well, that's if Foleo takes off.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    They claim you can use this without the phone though. Without the PIM on your phone, what do you use then?
    Actually, "nothing" is not a completely unreasonable answer. Meaning, you just have to type in the email address.

I fully recognize and honor that many users enjoy and rely on tight integration between their contacts database and their email program, and I hear your frustration that that integration is disrupted in the Foleo.

However personally I don't have that tight integration now between my Treo and PCs, and I lead a reasonably well-adjusted existence. I suspect I'm not the only one. I sync my Treo and PCs, and the email addresses are there, but the variety of email solutions I use--local and web-based apps, personal and work accounts--do not access my Treo-based contacts database. They can lookup and auto-complete addresses from their own caches, or some corporate directory, or even keep their own contacts database, and most of those solutions do not or are not synced with my Treo database. (Sometimes that's by choice due to security, reliability, or just plain duplicato-sync-o-phobia.)

Sometimes I copy-n-paste addresses from Palm Desktop or whatever to my emailer and that's nice, and sometimes I do manage to accomplish honest-to-goodness double-click integration, but it's not that frequent.

It's a little broken I know, but I live with it. For me it's not broken enough to spend time or $$ to fix it.

So a Foleo without PIM data is not much different from what I have now from my PCs. With a Foleo I'd just type in my addresses or copy-n-paste if I can scrounge them somewhere. If I'm lucky the Foleo's mail app will keep a cache of recently used addresses and auto-complete them, and I'll be happy.

Again, I recognize this isn't acceptable for some, and I wish for your sake the Foleo had included a PIM app. (There's still hope; maybe it will by launch.) But for some users its lack is not a deal-breaker.
    Last edited by wlmoore; 07/01/2007 at 04:45 AM. Reason: tweak
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    wouldn't it be great if the folio,instead of having a biolt in pim, could access the treo's pim. one data base under god with liberty and justice......
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    I would like to use my contacts database, makes it much easier for frequently emailed people. New people, well you usually have to type in the address anyway, but then how do you save the address with no PIM if you need to contact this person in the future? The Foleo will access the Treo's PIM I think, but then that means you still need the phone. Defeats the whole purpose of them saying "you don't need your phone to use the Foleo".

BTW, can you use web email on the Foleo since many are java based?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I would like to use my contacts database, makes it much easier for frequently emailed people. New people, well you usually have to type in the address anyway, but then how do you save the address with no PIM if you need to contact this person in the future? The Foleo will access the Treo's PIM I think, but then that means you still need the phone. Defeats the whole purpose of them saying "you don't need your phone to use the Foleo".?
    Yep, I hear ya. Bottom line is out-of-the-box you do need the phone for PIM; to cut that cord you need mDayscape. I can see why Palm didn't make PIM a priority (it ain't broke on a smartphone from their perspective) given the current shortcomings in the Foleo's critical core apps (browser, email). It would be prudent for Palm to subsidize the cost of mDayscape.

BTW, can you use web email on the Foleo since many are java based?
    Hoo boy, for me that's the $599 question ($499 after rebate). I recall Hawkins stated somewhere you could use web email over wifi without a phone, but I think it remains to be seen.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I tested one of my web-based email accounts at the DC launch event. Didn't put it though all its possible paces, but so far so good...
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    wouldn't it be great if the folio,instead of having a biolt in pim, could access the treo's pim. one data base under god with liberty and justice......
    That's my intuition of how the device would work with a smartphone, or at least a WM/POS device. That'd be great.

Has this been confirmed by anyone/can it?

then you still need to have your phone handy for it to work. Kind of a pain in the a**. I don't care if it's a companion device, it should be able to be fully functional as a standalone. If you have a problem with your phone, it gets stolen, breaks, drops in a toilet or what not; you're dead in the water. No internet, no contacts database. So you now have two useless devices that retail at a combined $1000.

It should at least have a PIM that syncs seamlessly with the treo, but then again, if you don't have any net access without the phone, then you really don't need the contacts database because you can't send an email anyway. Then again, you couldn't prep a bunch of emails to send either.

Just makes the Asus that much more attractive if you're going to go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    So a Foleo without PIM data is not much different from what I have now from my PCs. With a Foleo I'd just type in my addresses or copy-n-paste if I can scrounge them somewhere. If I'm lucky the Foleo's mail app will keep a cache of recently used addresses and auto-complete them, and I'll be happy.
    Yes, the Foleo mail sync also copies the email addresses from your phone's contacts database to use in auto-completion. At this time, there's no supported method for viewing or altering that information on its own.

As for web-email, yes, most of the sites we've tested work fine. I've personally used Outlook Web Access, Yahoo! Mail, and GMail through their web interfaces on the device without problem. Those sites do use a bit of Javascript (which is supported). I've had problems with AOL Mail -- their new interface uses ActiveX (not supported), and their old interface was slow to use because it uses a bit too much Javascript, although it was functional.

You can access the Internet using 802.11b without going through the phone. The phone connection is only needed for email sync and for Bluetooth DUN-based network connections.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    ...You can access the Internet using 802.11b without going through the phone. The phone connection is only needed for email sync and for Bluetooth DUN-based network connections.
    Can you offer any insight about why 802.11b was selected instead of 802.11g?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I have read most of the Foleo posts and looked at the photos that have been provided. Seeing that my town is not included in the advanced viewings I have to rely on other opinions. For me, this is a good solution for my needs. I, too, am limited as to what I can do at work. However, being in a non-profit organization, I still have a need for access to emails for that group. This would allow me to get emails at lunch without having to keep my Tablet on standby or hibernate. I believe that I will be able to access our sharepoint portal (web based) and keep up with the latest information. I like the idea of being able to access Outlook web access since my company has enabled that feature. As for the cost, that remains an issue, although a very small one. I would have owned the Treo anyway so that can't be computed into the cost of the "laptop replacement" for me. I am probably going to spring for the Foleo and as time goes, purchase third party softward just as I have for the Treo.
    IIIc-iPaq 3500, 3900, 2200, 4300-i705-SX56,SX66-T-T2-TC-600-650-8125-8525-8700-Pearl-680-iPhone-Tilt-AT&T Centro

There cant be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.

As a business user who sometimes goes on trips for a week at a time. I want my laptop with me. After going back to the hotel room, there's not a lot to do especially in some of the areas i get to venture off to.

the instant on part is very nice though.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Can you offer any insight about why 802.11b was selected instead of 802.11g?
    If this helps, here's a bit from TreoCentral's Brodie Keast interview http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1231-3.htm:

Is it 802.11b, g? For WiFi?

It's 802.11b. And the reason for that decision is, in general, when you look through the product and the technology choices we wanted to pick things that were low, were low power, were in the mainstream of where the industry is in terms of sourcing to fit in this product in order to drive the cost down. We didn't feel that 'b' was any particular bottleneck and it's also compatible with most networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    Yes, the Foleo mail sync also copies the email addresses from your phone's contacts database to use in auto-completion. At this time, there's no supported method for viewing or altering that information on its own.
    That's great to hear and what I was hoping for. As is, that would cover easily 95% of my email and I can use OWA as my PIM if needed (I only access it maybe once a week).

The Wifi b/g thing is a non-issue imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ezegna View Post
    Ask yourself a few questions. Those of you who have laptops and desktops, what percentage d you use of each of your programs? Disregard the exceptions. I would say majority of people use somewhere in the following percentage:

Web Browsing: 50%
    Email: 20%
    Word, Excel, Power Point:10%
    Other: 10%
    Palm just released a simple line that accomplishes most of what everyone uses on their laptop and desktops It doesn’t have to do everything.
    A windows laptop will do all of those things better than a Fooleo. The Fooleo doesn't even have a built in PIM or Tabbed Web browsing. Nor does it run Word, Excel or Power Point.
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A windows laptop will do all of those things better than a Fooleo.
    To quote Yoda, "So certain are you?" There's something to be said for simplicity, and Windows ain't got that by any stretch of the imagination.

The Fooleo doesn't even have a built in PIM or Tabbed Web browsing.
    Not yet. It is new, after all--not that that should make up for everything, but it can't have everything built in the first time around.

Nor does it run Word, Excel or Power Point.
    If it opens the files, does what we need, and doesn't mangle them in the process, who cares?
    A windows laptop will do all of those things better than a Fooleo. The Fooleo doesn't even have a built in PIM or Tabbed Web browsing. Nor does it run Word, Excel or Power Point.
    As noted above, it imports all of your email address for the auto-complete feature, so that basically what I need for writing email.

XP/Vista is overkill for mobile laptops for a lot of us. It's slow, clumsy and not efficient.

It runs and edits Word, Excel and PP with Docs2Go aboard, so that is not correct.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast