Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ezegna View Post
    I am utterly amazed at how fast the analysts and Treo community jumped on the negative Foleo bandwagon.

This product is exactly what I've been looking for.

Ask yourself a few questions. Those of you who have laptops and desktops, what percentage d you use of each of your programs? Disregard the exceptions. I would say majority of people use somewhere in the following percentage:

Web Browsing: 50%
    Email: 20%
    Word, Excel, Power Point:10%
    Other: 10%

Kevin [ezegna]
    OK, assuming your percentages are right (and I don't think they are, at least for business users*), that 10% still means I need a device OTHER THAN the Foleo. So now, instead of a Treo, or a Treo and a laptop, I'm carrying a Treo, a Foleo, and a laptop.

I fail to see the benefit.

* I would estimate that, for a typical business user, Email is 40% or more, MS Office is 30 to 40%, and web browsing is perhaps 10%. Real business people don't have time to play around on the internet all day.

I'll wait and see how Docs-to-Go works on the Foleo, but a significant percentage of the docs I work with on a routine basis won't load and edit properly on a Treo, because they use multiple features that Docs-To-Go doesn't support. The days when the typical Word document was a 2 page memo are long gone. I work daily with Word documents that contain complex style sheets and other formatting, complex tables, internal and external links, and more. I'll be real surprised if the procurement document I just contributed to, and reviewed, will load properly on a Foleo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezegna View Post
    I am utterly amazed at how fast the analysts and Treo community jumped on the negative Foleo bandwagon.

This product is exactly what I've been looking for.

Ask yourself a few questions. Those of you who have laptops and desktops, what percentage d you use of each of your programs? Disregard the exceptions. I would say majority of people use somewhere in the following percentage:

Web Browsing: 50%
    Email: 20%
    Word, Excel, Power Point:10%
    Other: 10%

Kevin [ezegna]
    OK, assuming your percentages are right (and I don't think they are, at least for business users*), that 10% still means I need a device OTHER THAN the Foleo. So now, instead of a Treo, or a Treo and a laptop, I'm carrying a Treo, a Foleo, and a laptop.

I fail to see the benefit.

* I would estimate that, for a typical business user, Email is 40% or more, MS Office is 30 to 40%, and web browsing is perhaps 10%. Real business people don't have time to play around on the internet all day.

I'll wait and see how Docs-to-Go works on the Foleo, but a significant percentage of the docs I work with on a routine basis won't load and edit properly on a Treo, because they use multiple features that Docs-To-Go doesn't support. The days when the typical Word document was a 2 page memo are long gone. I work daily with Word documents that contain complex style sheets and other formatting, complex tables, internal and external links, and more. I'll be real surprised if the procurement document I just contributed to, and reviewed, will load properly on a Foleo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    And here is a good video of demoing the Asus.

That looks to be an awesome alternative, and if only they had gone for a full size (10") screen it would have been unstoppable. So typical Palm...to little, to late...a day late and a dollar short...pick your own cliche...

Malatesta - if you want to talk about baiting, look what ASUS and the others have done to the Foleo...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't plan on running Windows anything on it. It runs a modified version of Xandros Linux and if you really wanted to you could install Ubuntu. Comes with 512 MB of ram and 4 GB's of storage (upgradeable to 8 or 16GBs).
    Wow, linux... I suppose if thats what you want, but isn't that just the same thing as the Folio, but it just doesn't sync nicely to your treo, and is probably a b1tch to teather?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    That looks to be an awesome alternative, and if only they had gone for a full size (10") screen it would have been unstoppable. So typical Palm...to little, to late...a day late and a dollar short...pick your own cliche...

Malatesta - if you want to talk about baiting, look what ASUS and the others have done to the Foleo...
    I basically said the same thing earlier today: link

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    Wow, linux... I suppose if thats what you want, but isn't that just the same thing as the Folio, but it just doesn't sync nicely to your treo, and is probably a b1tch to teather?
    No the Foleo doesn't have:

Ethernet
    56 K Modem
    512 MB of Ram
    Better looking design
    You can use it without having a smartphone.

And for me, I don't need to tether it. I have a Blackberry Pearl and if I want I'm sure there's a way to use it as a modem under Ubuntu.
    No the Foleo doesn't have:

Ethernet
    56 K Modem
    512 MB of Ram
    Better looking design
    You can use it without having a smartphone.

And for me, I don't need to tether it. I have a Blackberry Pearl and if I want I'm sure there's a way to use it as a modem under Ubuntu.
    I have a pearl too... Having to switch back to palm is really the only drawbacks to foleo for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The real question is why should I have to justify my preferences to you?

That's what it is after all: preference.

Did I mention anything about how this device will change the world? That everyone should want one? That it is a technological marvel and a good value? I have said none of those.

And I posted without being condescending or mocking.

Let me be more clear since you are not getting it-- I do not like laptops for the following reasons:

- Loud (yes, subcompacts like the Asus m5n is a loud laptop due to the CPU exhaust fan which has a heat pipe that connect to the harddrive. My laptop has a 10,000 rpm hard drive so in turn, it generates heat. My 1.6 ghz processor, likewise, generates a lot of heat and the the exhaust fan is...dun dun...loud. Here google it.)
    - Heat (see above)
    - Short battery life (2.5 hours on normal battery)
    - Microsoft XP (overkill for my needs on a laptop. XP is okay for desktop, poor for mobile)
    - Price ($1200)
    - Weight (3.2lbs)
    Alright I just have to call your bluff here. Sorry but you obviously don't know what you're talking about and are making things up. There is no such thing as a 10,000rpm 2.5" notebook Hard Drive. If what you're saying is true, then it's because you somehow have "mobile" desktop replacement that's only similarity to a notebook computer is that it has a battery and built in screen. At best, you have a 7200RPM hard drive, and if it makes too much heat for you there are replacement Hard Drives you can get that will generate much less noise and heat.

Modern notebook computers (yes, even the budget ones) generate little to no noise in normal operation (for instance with AMD's cool 'n quiet technology that scales the CPU speed down when not in heavy use) and will only get hot and loud when using intensive applications such as 3d gaming, which from what you've said you have no interest in doing on your laptop.

So now that we've established that you've either been lying or grossly embellishing up to this point, quit whining and if you think Windows is just too much power for you go and install Ubuntu on your laptop.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    my Pearl (as a wireless modem) works flawlessly with my macbook pro
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    So now that we've established that you've either been lying or grossly embellishing up to this point, quit whining .
    Good god man, get a grip.

Stop whining? Almost every thread in the Foleo section is people "whining" about how Palm and the Foleo completely suck.

That's okay though, you don't mind that since you agree with them. No complaints from you.

I post my issues with laptops in response to someone questioning me on it and somehow I'm annoying you?

Ask if I care.

As far as the HDD, I already posted it's a 7200rpm Hitachi

And a replacement drive? One that is perhaps slower? The reason I chose the 7200 was to alleviate the bottlenecking in Windows.

And ooo "scaling technology"? So futuristic! This has a Centrino chipset/1.6 ghz running Asus's Power4Gear stepping technology already. I could have gone higher in CPU but...more heat, less battery.

So thanks for the lecture. Can I go now and contemplate alternative options to laptops again without your non-help in the matter? Thanks.

sorry for the ignorance - someone have a link to this asus that was discussed in this thread?

Is it available now? Whats the OS?

How much? Thanks!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    See the adjacent Asus thread.
    You guys need to step out of your tech bubble for a sec...

Let's start with the ASUS system running Windows XP/Vista. It's overkill. The common consumer won't want to deal with it. Windows wasn't designed to be used when you are out and about. That's why they made Windows Mobile. XP/Vista are desktop operating systems for desktop like hardware. Even if that hardware weighs and is as small as the Foleo. Also, how many people are going to run out and buy an ASUS? Palm has their name out there on millions of Treos and PDAs. If MS made a Foleo like system running Windows Mobile it would be totally different.

Now the ASUS system running Linux. Are you serious? What kind of person is going to run out, get this ASUS system then throw Linux on it? Where will they get their software? How do they install it? There are too many flavors and too much confusion for anyone other than a techie to use it this way. The Foleo is built around a Linux OS Palm developed, that they will support and get 3rd parties to develop for. So when Joe Schmoe runs out and gets a Foleo, all he has to do is go to palm.com to purchase and install new software.

I am a big fan of the closed hardware/OS architecture (think Macs and OS X). Palm is moving in the right direction with the Foleo. It might be hard to see now, but when the dust settles you just might see a lot of people with Foleos.
    And how much software do we have to keep buying to get Palm's stuff to work as it should out the box for $600???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You guys need to step out of your tech bubble for a sec...

Let's start with the ASUS system running Windows XP/Vista. It's overkill. The common consumer won't want to deal with it. Windows wasn't designed to be used when you are out and about. That's why they made Windows Mobile. XP/Vista are desktop operating systems for desktop like hardware. Even if that hardware weighs and is as small as the Foleo. Also, how many people are going to run out and buy an ASUS? Palm has their name out there on millions of Treos and PDAs. If MS made a Foleo like system running Windows Mobile it would be totally different.

Now the ASUS system running Linux. Are you serious? What kind of person is going to run out, get this ASUS system then throw Linux on it? Where will they get their software? How do they install it? There are too many flavors and too much confusion for anyone other than a techie to use it this way. The Foleo is built around a Linux OS Palm developed, that they will support and get 3rd parties to develop for. So when Joe Schmoe runs out and gets a Foleo, all he has to do is go to palm.com to purchase and install new software.

I am a big fan of the closed hardware/OS architecture (think Macs and OS X). Palm is moving in the right direction with the Foleo. It might be hard to see now, but when the dust settles you just might see a lot of people with Foleos.
    I agree with spirit of the points your making. I just want to straighten out a couple of your facts.

As I understand it, the ASUS Eee PC is a quasi-closed system that ships with an easy-to-use custom version of Linux and a nice suite of built-in apps. I don't know if they're courting third party developers, or how easy it will be for users to add more apps, but I get the sense from their marketing messages that they're not selling a platform, they're selling a self-contained product with a compelling out-of-box internet and computing experience. Again that's just my impression based on limited information.

They say the Eee hardware is Windows-compatible but you need to purchase Windows separately ($$!) and install it yourself...without a CD drive. Definitely not for the novice!

So I'm saying the Eee PC is intended for the uber-Joe Schmoe, even moreso than a Foleo. (Palm intends the Foleo for Jo "Mobile" Executive, right or wrong.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And how much software do we have to keep buying to get Palm's stuff to work as it should out the box for $600???
    That answer is actually completely relative. If what you need to do is what the Foleo comes with, the answer is $0.

If you want more, then it goes up. It's no different than any Smartphone in that sense.

Point is, for some of us "all that Windows does out of the box" is 90% useless to our everyday lives. Why are we forced to install the whole package when we don't need all of it? (without using XP lite of course)

No PIM included on the Foleo. Have to pay extra. This is a business device first, isn't it?

I can see paying extra for multi-media and games, but not for somethig basic as PIM!! What other basics aren't included that we have to pay for?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No PIM included on the Foleo. Have to pay extra. This is a business device first, isn't it?

I can see paying extra for multi-media and games, but not for somethig basic as PIM!! What other basics aren't included that we have to pay for?
    I absolutely agree and believe this is a ridiculous oversight on Palm's part. I've complained about it - especially because leaving out that kind of no-brainer, slam-dunk suggests that other "duh" elements may also be omitted. That seriously eroded my trust in Palm to do the right thing and make the right decisions with regard to this new device. Scary stuff.

Somehow, though, living in the real world (as if I'm new to it) the past month or so has pushed me further in the direction of the Foleo. Can you believe this? I certainly can't believe I'm saying it.

Stuff like dealing with Sprint's PAM service, begging for them to update the doggone software, spending forever on the phone trying to get them to admit it doesn't work or to tell me what I might be doing wrong, finding out pricing isn't as advertised, etc., etc... has me wanting something simpler.

There are other examples. It's not just the Sprint thing, but the PAM issue IS a factor. I mean, I COULD go the PdaNet route, but I've used that software before and support was pitiful. I'd want to get online and it would put me through all sorts of changes, requiring adding COM ports endlessly, rebooting, etc. Sometimes I just wanna get online and I don't want to have to jump through hoops to do it.

IF (big if, I know) the Foleo keeps me from having to worry about this crap anymore, then it's a big step in the right direction.

There's more, but I'll stop right there. It's amazing that someone who's been so very critical of Palm and the Foleo would end up being pushed toward them by other companies' inadequacies.

I just want stuff to work. As it stands, the Foleo could very well pay for itself in a single year.

I'm not completely sold, yet. Believe me. But I'm not completely unsold, either.

While we wait for the release, I'll check out that Asus. (Sadly, I wouldn't expect its connection to the Treo to be "seamless.")
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

The PIM issue is interesting as you can write a "new" email as seen in the pictures, the question is does that access your existing DB for contacts? I imagine it does, which makes the need for a PIM a little less important I suppose. The details remain to be seen.

Regarding what other "basics do we have to pay for" like I said, that is relative: what is "basic" to you will vary for others. As is you haven't defined what you consider "basic" for this category of device. Just playing devils advocate here...

They claim you can use this without the phone though. Without the PIM on your phone, what do you use then?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast