Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Months ago when there was speculation about the new device I said:

"What I want is a mini-thin client that I can take with me anywhere. Why can't I always have all my data with me. Thats what I want and palm has always provided what I really wanted"

Well it seems like Foleo is on the right track.

Instant on is a huge deal. Thats really why my Tablet PC didn't quite do it for me. I need the thing to be fast.

No hard drive is good cause I want it to be fast.

However, I also would have wanted.

1) Instant sync of everything. If its on my Treo it should be on my Foleo. And I don't want to do anything to make that happen. It should be automatic.

2) There shouldn't be any storage issues with my files. I want all my files all the time. (I mean work and maybe a few pictures and music. Not whatever craziness people are keeping to fill up 20GB)

3) It should be really really light.

4) It might be cool if I could watch a downloaded movie for a plane ride or something but this is clearly secondary.

Here is my concept -

My work computer does all of my heavy lifting. It stays at work basically all the time.

My phone comes with my all the time. It has all the information I really need.

My Foleo is the bridge computer that I use

1) At home to surf and review projects.

2) When I need to give a presentation and want to bring my on device

3) When I am in a meeting and want to take notes

4) On the plane or in the cab to review information.

Basically as far as I see I could potentially get a Foleo and Treo for the price of a laptop. But its better because I don't really need everything a laptop does and my work laptop is a back buster. The Foleo would be instant on and in the version I really want, everything on my phone is instantly and seemlessly on my Foleo.
    Last edited by kwsmith2; 06/07/2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: .
    A semi-laptop for when your laptop is just a little too much computer? Only the geniuses from Palm could come up with a device so ... unneeded?
    So you are to blame for this kwsmith2?

Be careful what you ask for; for surely you may get it...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I will actually be one of the few (apparently) that buys a Foleo too. My work laptop is a monstrous Dell Precision M65 and it's not all that portable. It's powerful as hell, but it weighs a ton. If I didn't have to bring it home because of my job, I'd leave it in the office. I have a MacBook at home, but it rarely leaves my desk. I almost want to replace it with an iMac.

Anyway, I had a Nokia N80 for a while and loved a little device that I could just do email and web on. While I may end up hating the Foleo, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt since it's new and no one's actually really used one or seen it, outside of trade shows.

Joe
    Exactly what I was thinking, kwsmith2. I lug my laptop around with me wherever I go so that I can work on word, spreadsheet, and powerpoint files at home or on the road. I don't need all the other bells and whistles for that. It would be nice to have something smaller that held all my files. And something to jot my thoughts down on and meeting notes... at my age I forget stuff so quick... I know I could use my Treo to keep my notes but my thumbs get arthritic and don't move so quick... and instant-on, I think somedays the end of my days may come before the end of the startup on my laptop. I know I have forgotten more than one profound thought (and I don't have many of them) before Windows has finished booting up. The other thing I would like to see soon is eReader on the Foleo. My eyes aren't what they used to be and there are just so many books left to read. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Foleo. And if I don't have to wait in a long line for it, ok. Life is short. I just need something to help me get my work done whenever I have a minute to do it.
    Ah... the elderly Foleo demographic everyone is talking about...

Surur
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I'm kiiiinda leaning towards this thing myself. I use a Dell Inspiron with a 17" monitor and, while its great for heavy computing, its usually too much for when I'm on the road; essentially, being able to access the MLS (Multiple Listing System) and email is usually what I do when meeting with clients. Now, if the foleo can sync all my pertinent data with my laptop then it may be a good fit for someone in my business.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    see.....you guys are coming around. I'm tellin' ya, while all the Palm-nazis on this board, the techno-elitists, are bashing this thing, there is a group of users out there who just might see a need.

I'm not saying this is going to be a winner - I just think so many folks on this forum/website (who are NOT the target users, by the way) are so quick to jump on the 'I hate Palm now becuz I feel personally wronged that they brought out this thin client whatever thing' bandwagon, may not necessarily be right. Maybe, but maybe not.

I travel a ton, and I see 90% of people who are sitting at the gate using their laptops for one last email check, with the BIG keybaord, and the BIG screen, and it's THOSE folks who Palm thinks will get and use a Foleo. Not those of us on these forums.

But what do I know.
    I think some people are way over the top with there disapproval. But at the same time they have a point. Foleo should have come loaded with more on board memory and a faster processor. Theres no doubt about that. Also, it should have come with a full version of linux so people could add open office. Also, they need(really need to bring that price down). If these things can be done I think Foleo could really become a great device that actually lives up the hints Hawkins gave over these past few years.

That being said I am still interested in this device. I am also very interested in ASUES subnotebook as well that seems to over more for a lot less.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonRM79 View Post
    I think some people are way over the top with there disapproval. But at the same time they have a point. Foleo should have come loaded with more on board memory and a faster processor. Theres no doubt about that. Also, it should have come with a full version of linux so people could add open office. Also, they need(really need to bring that price down).
    I've never understood this type of request -- Palm needs to add hardware features A, B, C and bring the price down. Adding memory and improving the processor would increase the hardware costs, which would cause the price to go up. Unless you're saying Palm's profit margin on the device is outrageously high (I don't think they're that stupid), you have to choose one -- lower price or better hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc View Post
    I've never understood this type of request -- Palm needs to add hardware features A, B, C and bring the price down. Adding memory and improving the processor would increase the hardware costs, which would cause the price to go up. Unless you're saying Palm's profit margin on the device is outrageously high (I don't think they're that stupid), you have to choose one -- lower price or better hardware.
    No, Palm's profit margin is outrageously high. This device does not have $50 more components than a portable DVD player, yet costs 4 times as much. You do the maths.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No, Palm's profit margin is outrageously high. This device does not have $50 more components than a portable DVD player, yet costs 4 times as much. You do the maths.
    I have -- a 1024x600 laptop-quality LCD costs much more than $50 over the cost of a DVD player's 720480 LCD. The processor on a Treo is much more expensive than the processor in a portable DVD player, and it looks like the Foleo will have a similar processor. Portable DVD players also do not have two flash expansion slots, USB ports, or bluetooth and WiFi radios. Saying it costs $50 more to build is absurd.
    I have -- a 1024x600 laptop-quality LCD costs much more than $50 over the cost of a DVD player's 720480 LCD. The processor on a Treo is much more expensive than the processor in a portable DVD player, and it looks like the Foleo will have a similar processor. Portable DVD players also do not have two flash expansion slots, USB ports, or bluetooth and WiFi radios. Saying it costs $50 more to build is absurd.
    Which explains why a laptop with a DVD drive, 2 GB memory and webcam is $400 cheaper, right?

Surur
    Which explains why a laptop with a DVD drive, 2 GB memory and webcam is $400 cheaper, right?

Surur
    Very good point surur.

Surur
    I don't think the Asus eee has a DVD drive. And its 7" screen is one half the area of the Foleo's 10" screen.

But yeah, Foleo's got a huge margin.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I don't think the Asus eee has a DVD drive. And its 7" screen is one half the area of the Foleo's 10" screen.

But yeah, Foleo's got a huge margin.
    There is going to be a 10" screen at $299 I think.
    Along with Surur's point, you can also get a low end laptop for the price of a Foleo, which will have enough hardware to do most basic tasks. This will prompt some people to ask if the Foleo is worth it at the price it was quoted.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    True. If larger screens cost more, why do larger laptops with 14 inch screens cost less, while having many more components. If we look at the Nintendo Wii for example, it has 512 MB flash, a DVD drive (cant play them, but its the same drive), bluetooth and WIFI. The only thing it does not have is a screen and batteries, but its making a tidy profit at $250.

The margins for this device is at least $200.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There is going to be a 10" screen at $299 I think.
    Do you have more info? Source/link?
    This might be getting discontinued looking at the details(or a rebate), but it's loaded for less than the Foleo, if you can get it at that price. But even at $80 more if you miss that price, you get so much more:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172881524655

Foleo needs to be no more than $400 IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast