Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I was just reading the Foleo Q and A on the site, and I see a lot of disappointment, which I can agree with entirely on the device in its current form, but I think the concept seems really exciting personally. Obviously, who knows if that's the direction they're going, but my thoughts on the excitement of Hawkins have to do a ton more with the concept (seemed pretty clear from the interviews) than this version they're releasing now.

So say you have your future-Treo, or iPhone, or whatever people prefer. It'd have a ton more storage than the current forms, whether thats through the internet or an internal harddrive, doesn't really matter, but lets imagine for a second its a great deal of storage. Your phone is always with you (at least for most of us.) Therefore, when you commute to work, you can use your smartphone however you would use it now.

You walk into the office, sit down, and your 'desktop foleo' senses the smartphone in Bluetooth range, giving you immediate access to all your PIM info, email, contacts, etc. You go about your day's work, but instead of storing to the computer's local hard drive, it goes directly to your phone.

Say after work, you feel like going for a drive. As you get into the car, the smartphone syncs with the 'car foleo' and you all of a sudden have access to all of your music, your entire contact list for hands-free dialing, and the GPS in your phone system.

You go home, sit at the foleo you have there, and can access all of the work you did, or you can just mess around with the internet. Everything is right where you left it when you left the office and left your car, a completely seemless transition at each step.

Can we at least all agree that the possibilities for the future show a great deal of potential for the CONCEPT that might explain why Hawkins sees this device as being revolutionary, rather than just complain constantly for the next few months about how you can just get a laptop, or things of that nature? Lets hope this is where the device will be going very quickly, so this doesn't stay a niche product for much longer.
    - My phone already syncs with my work (fully functional) laptop via BT - any time - all the time while I'm there.

- My phone already automatically links to my car via BT when I get in. My car has a GPS already. My phone is already synced with the car's handsfree via BT. No music connection, but I'm working on it.

- When I get home, my phone also links with my desktop via BT (or the dock) and exchanges information I've chosen to sync.

I think we're pretty much in the world you describe already. Sadly, that world doesn't have much of a need for an underpowered, laptop wannabe.
    Good point! It's not a horrible product!!

BUT why can't they release a more robust version for the price NOW? When there're laptops out there at the same price point? If they really want to make a big bang NOW, release a minilaptop that will convince many to barely use a full laptop(except for work purposes, obviously)!! THAT'S innovation!

Did you ever think you'd see a day when people barely use tapes, CDs and records anymore? The MP3 concept has changed everything so that you may not necessarily even need a stereo(unless by choice, of course)!

Phones have put stand-alone PDAs almost out of commission, due to adding calender, tasks, etc. so you don't need to carry the PDA anymore.

BUT the Foleo does NOT really put many laptops out to pasture, not even basic ones. My laptop is still my mobile phone's companion.

Is there room on the Foleo and the capabilty to add your phone sync software? I'm not 100% sure about this one, but it sounds like NO from what I'm reading. Because one reason is most phone software isn't even compatible for Linux! You can barely get it to work on Mac! That might be a big stumbling block, IMO. How is the Foleo your phone's companion if you can't sync fully? And is there even a USB port? Or is everything all wireless? Second reason is, I think there's no serious drive space on the Foleo. So does that mean no real storage, except for expansion cards? All I'm syncing is email and photos from my phone?? No thanks!

So this just works for the Treo on the first run, with other models to be supported later? Too limited, at least on the first try. If you can't sell to the mass public, that hurts bottom line. Even Apple started to realize that! And are Treo users really going to pay $600 to do less than what a laptop does?

I agree the concept is good, but Palm cheapened out on the first try. And that could hurt them enough so they don't even get a 2nd try!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    phone diva- I disagree - foleo does put laptops out to pasture.
    because on your way to get a laptop. you go out to the pasture. seeing happy cows eating grass. talking about motherhood. watching their calf drinking its first taste of milk, and next thing ya know. you've stepped in something. and it stinks.

as the philosopher tannon once said 'tis once upon many times in a great while......manure I hate manure'

you say palm cheapened out when it came to the R&D on the foleo. oh how I dream palm would make a great machine, a time machine, but I digress, if they could also, mutually secured, and with trust, then I may long and long for such a day. and I may a lowly hick observer from kentucky who is married to his sister but that accusation that they are thrifty when it comes to R&D, myself, cletus, bubba and jethro the heads of R&D felt saddened over this statement. but we have a remedy.

intelligence suggests all real laptops have weapons of mass destruction.
    This thread hit it right on the head. . . Palm's selling a concept. ASUS is selling a product. It's starting to become more obvious with manufacturers like ASUS, VIA, & Apple... Palm's mobile companion'll start to look weaker and weaker before it's even released.

Sorry Palm, your timing was all off... or perhaps it was your definition of the word 'value'.
    Here's my theory on why they are so expensive. This is a low volume product aimed at a niche sector.

Now the concept is where this comes interesting. WHat if they made smaller and bigger Foleos, in whatever form factor people asked for. Heck one of the forms could even be in the rough shape of today's Treo. (Assuming the Treo itself becomes, a tiny fashion fone with no keyboard.)

We are building our own mobile Personal area network. The Treo becomes your pertable server. (File Server, and network access for now).

In the future we could manipulate the data on our Treo using a standard web browser where ever we are. (Using something like Google Apps.)

The Web would hold a mirrored copy of the data on my Treo, and the Treo would hold a mirrored copy of what's in my web locker.

This will become the standard way to use a large keyboard and screen for manipulating Treo data.

The Foleo product line will just be for those that want portability. (And eventually the Treo will FOleo will replace the laptop conputer altogether, as both units get more functional, just as the laptop replaced the Desktop PC.

This is the future. The big question is; will Palm be a part of the future, or will they like countless other trailblazers light the trail for others and fall by the wayside?
    at each step described in the original post i either a) had a laptop or pc at my disposal (work)....b) don't need a larger device than my smartphone while driving.....c) had a laptop or pc at my disposal (home).

conceptually the idea works for he/she who doesn't have much need beyond being able to read emails and the internet on something bigger than his/her smartphone.......but theoretically, there are other products that can do this and do it even better than the Foleo.

so, concept ok.....excecution not so ok.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Separating the concept of the Foleo from the product itself is like separating the corn from my ****. When all is said and done, you're still left with dookie.
    lol lol lol Whats next
    Concept is awesome. I think the product will be ok too.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    Concept is awesome.
    The original concept (for a folding screen) could have been OK, though I think the delivered concept ("smartphone companion" or in other words "bulky separate peripheral for your convergent compact device") is at best a short-term, shrinking niche, that will be closed by fully functional solid-state ultraportables in a couple of years.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I agree and wonder why they didn't just make a real ultraportable! Then even those without Treos would have taken a look!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If the Foleo catches on Palm may sell more Foleos than Treos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still not sure about the Foleo. I'll just have to wait till I can actually touch one. I like the first poster, roman, wonder about if it will be running linux.

I think the Foleo is interesting if you think about it this way. You can buy the cheapest cellphone out there and pair this with the Foleo. You might not need to have a blackberry or treo then. Just a compatible cellphone. The phone then just holds your SIM and does all the wireless networking. If someone then took the cellphone and stripped it down to its bare basics we might have a headset phone, think first season of Star Trek the original Uhura ear peice.

The Foleo would have be called a Tricorder if if there wasn't a copy write. Does it have a wifi hot spot locater?

Posted by: Yazz Atlas | June 20, 2007 at 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree and wonder why they didn't just make a real ultraportable! Then even those without Treos would have taken a look!

The Foleo is supposed to work with anything that runs Win Mobile (and I am not sure about Smartphone)... Thats a ton of hardware.
    It has to do multimedia well or else it won't do. It has to have a built in PIM otherwise it won't do. It has to be priced better than 500 IMO
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13 View Post
    The Foleo is supposed to work with anything that runs Win Mobile (and I am not sure about Smartphone)... Thats a ton of hardware.
    That's a drawback at that price, needing a phone to use it fully. Why box yourself in if you're trying to make a profit? Just release a fully functional ultraportable that anyone can use for whatever reason! The "mobile companion" selling point should have been just a FEATURE, not the whole shebang!

I will say it again, even though I know people are sick of seeing it, but at a $500-$600 price point, you cannot be that limited and expect people to just jump on your product! Not when you have other makers at your heels offering way more for the price. The Foleo as they talk about it now MIGHT have worked a long time ago, like the 5 years ago when they first thought of this, but not now. Horrible timing on Palm's part. They should have been ahead of the game on this. But they wait till full ultraportables are already out or coming out, then release this??? At a price where many people would say "screw it, I'll just get a cheap laptop"?? Then do you really have to pay MORE for the apps mentioned elsewhere?

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The "mobile companion" selling point should have been just a FEATURE, not the whole shebang!
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    If the Foleo catches on Palm may sell more Foleos than Treos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still not sure about the Foleo. I'll just have to wait till I can actually touch one. I like the first poster, roman, wonder about if it will be running linux.

I think the Foleo is interesting if you think about it this way. You can buy the cheapest cellphone out there and pair this with the Foleo. You might not need to have a blackberry or treo then. Just a compatible cellphone. The phone then just holds your SIM and does all the wireless networking. If someone then took the cellphone and stripped it down to its bare basics we might have a headset phone, think first season of Star Trek the original Uhura ear peice.

The Foleo would have be called a Tricorder if if there wasn't a copy write. Does it have a wifi hot spot locater?

Posted by: Yazz Atlas | June 20, 2007 at 06:36 PM

I don't think the first issue supports anything but Treos because the video on Palm's site said "eventually" other phones.
    If they made it for all the main smartphones out there right NOW, it might have more value!

Let's just face facts here folks...it's too little, too late. In 1995, as an adjunct to an otherwise deficient cell phone, it would have been handy. Today, with Palm, HTC, Samsung, Moto, Nokia and others making fully functional converged devices, it has no place to go. If you want a bigger screen and keyboard, why choose this limited function device at 2.5 lbs when you can get a 4 lb full feature notebook(albeit more expensive). Either way, you're carrying a lot more than the converged device you started with. This really adds nothing to the landscape for the ubiquitous data access that Hawkins "hawked" in teasing fashion for the last two years.

I'm tired of being told I just don't get it (the concept)...the truth of the matter is I do and it doesn't smell like roses. JUst tell me HOW the Fool-eoh is better than any of the ultralights being mentioned (asus, etc.). Either you want to be fully mobile and untethered, or you want a min-laptop experience.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    I'm tired of being told I just don't get it (the concept)...the truth of the matter is I do and it doesn't smell like roses. JUst tell me HOW the Fool-eoh is better than any of the ultralights being mentioned (asus, etc.). Either you want to be fully mobile and untethered, or you want a min-laptop experience.
    Well, we have sort of been over this already.

For some of us, it's not an issue of "getting it" it's just something that would fit into our lives. This doesn't mean we're not leaving room for critiques or saying it's a perfect implementation, but rather it has potential.

My issues with having a fully-featured laptop (of which I have already) is that I do not need most of that functionality--what I need is what the Foleo offers.

More importantly, I think if it were 3-4 years ago and Palm said they were going to make a "Palm laptop" most people would have been excited since Palm, like Apple, gets the idea behind elegance, simplicity and quality of the hardware. Something which MS sorely, sorely lacks.

I guess I just find it funny that when the 6700 came onto the market 2 years ago, all the PalmOS fans bashed it away saying how much better PalmOS was over "M$" and their sluggish OS. Criticizing everything that MS did in the computing world.

Now here we are, just a couple of years later and people are defending, nay bolstering MS laptops as the pinnacle of mobile computing, putting it up as a great mobile solution.

I think it's not. I want a instant on, light, simple and elegant device that gets 5 hours of battery life, no heat (do laptops still "nuke the nuts"? Doesn't Apple advice not putting them on your lap anymore?) and that pairs instantly with my phone.

This isn't to convince people that they need this or should want it. In fact, I honestly don't care if people here "get it" or not. That's your business and if you don't see the value in this device, then obviously it's not for you. Just like the $600 iPhone is not a great value or a device many of feels we need either--I don't "get" that either, but people are free to see value if it fits their need.

Like I said, this isn't a full endorsement of the Foleo but the idea for me is attractive. I need to find out more about DUN (do I need a PAM plan now?), is there a PIM? Cost? Final specs, 3rd party software etc.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast