Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    2. Can't run more than one browser at a time? You must be joking. even my Nokia n770 can do that. It can also do video and sound on it's own, not just through flash. It can also be a USB host so I can create a workaround to power a thumbdrive or USB hard drive and have access to 4gigs or 160 gigs of memory on a little handheld.

The more I hear about the Foleo, the more limited I believe it is for all the hoopla that has surrounded it. And for its overall size, I really don't see the purpose if multitasking is still that limited. While it is supposed to be a companion to smartphones, it should be able to do just as much as one as a standalone. To have to break out the phone every time I need to do something the foleo can't is just a joke for the price it's coming in at.

If the foleo is any sign of what the linux treo is going to be or can be, I don't have much confidence in palm. And after the debacle of the 700p, I didn't have much left to begin with. It sounds like the public is going to be used as beta testers for a palm product yet again.
    Understand the target audience though: Business users and execs.

The things you talk about are priorities for entertainment devices. This is meant to augment certain aspects of the Smartphone, namely data entry, photos and doc editing. Multitasking is supported it just operates differently, see bcombee's posts on how it works.

Playing music and videos are actually not out of the question for the Foleo, it's just not native (for now). The upshot to this is that the linux community presumably could do a lot with it.

As far as price, that's relative and up to the indivdual to decide if it's worth it.

As far as the beta testing, I'm confident this will be more stable than a 700p. Actually, Palm nailed the 700wx in most aspects (BT could be better). Just wait for it to come out, see the reviews and see where developers go with it, then decide. This device is like anti-Apple: they are heavly courting and encourging people to develop for it.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    well they should've nailed the windows 700. That's what the hardware was designed for.

And I'm more of a business user than an entertainment user. But if something is going to take the place of me taking my 12" lenovo which cost about $100 more than the foleo, then I want similar functionality in a watered down version. I have technique videos, guides and such available online or on disc/usb drive/whatever. That's business. I should be able to plug in my thumb drive and show a technique/instructional video. Doesn't take much processing or graphics horsepower to do that.

If you say it's targeting business users, sales professionals are business users. Give us a way to access sales materials, literature and such if you want us to have a companion as opposed to a laptop. Nokia has a much better concept of what the future is for an add on portable device in its internet tablets. Those overly expensive handheld computers are more of what the future should be. Dummy down the innards with a linux OS and you're in business.

Personally, I'd rather see a smaller footprint with a folding keyboard. Add to it usb host capability and flash card slots. With big gig SD and CF cards you can expand memory to your heart's content. Built in BT and Wifi. You could even have a pc card slot so you could toss in cellular card or use the slot for further memory expansion. Heck, you could create it like Panasonic creates it's industrial plasmas with expansion cards and create a basic machine the user can customize to his needs. It may seem difficult, but in this day and age it seems highly probable. There's just so many devices that have bits and pieces of genius, but none of them are put together in one device, or they tried and just missed the mark.

A couple years ago the Foleo would've been an evolutionary device. Imagine what the second generation would be now. But now? No way. It's a bunch of compromises for a very limited customer base. To me that is not worthy of all the hoopla when they can't even get their current product line working right. And they had many chances to be evolutionary with the treo line, and they failed. And going back to the 700wx. Wow...one whole product where they hit the nail on the head.

And I might not care for the iPhone, but I think it is a better attempt at being evolutionary than the Foleo. It's not even out yet and you have imitators like the Samsung F700 (a better idea in my eyes) and the Prada phone. Do you think you'll see other companies running out to create competition for the Foleo? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Understand the target audience though: Business users and execs.

The things you talk about are priorities for entertainment devices. This is meant to augment certain aspects of the Smartphone, namely data entry, photos and doc editing. Multitasking is supported it just operates differently, see bcombee's posts on how it works.

Playing music and videos are actually not out of the question for the Foleo, it's just not native (for now). The upshot to this is that the linux community presumably could do a lot with it.

As far as price, that's relative and up to the indivdual to decide if it's worth it.

As far as the beta testing, I'm confident this will be more stable than a 700p. Actually, Palm nailed the 700wx in most aspects (BT could be better). Just wait for it to come out, see the reviews and see where developers go with it, then decide. This device is like anti-Apple: they are heavly courting and encourging people to develop for it.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/28/2007 at 09:11 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Absolutely. It actually did fit in your shirt pocket, not just in theory, and overall it was just lighter.We travel in different circles. The people I knew who owned them were mostly professionals who would have been embarassed to carry the previous Palms, preferring Franklin Planners instead. At least where I lived, it wasn't until the iPaq hit the streets that conspicuous consumption drove people to self-consciously whip out their PDAs at the first opportunity.

Sorry, I have a different idea of what constitutes fashion statements. In my experience it was just a popular tool that, like most popular tools, a vocal minority obsesses over, especially online. On the street, most of the interaction I saw between Palm Vs and their owners was pretty mundane.

You lost me again there. I much preferred resting my fingertips against the V's tapered edge to the squarish profile of the III. True, as acknowledged above.
    Palm has never released a product, good or bad, whose design wasn't outsourced. Palm wanted to hire Ideo for the Pilot, but couldn't afford them, having only $3m in startup capital to spread around. After a couple of devices successful enough to attract attention from Redmond, Hawkins knew that the only was to compete the Microsoft's new "PalmPC" WinCE devices (subsequently changed to Pocket PC in short order), he would have to bite the bullet a pay for Ideo to design a product cool enough to distract customers from noticing that it had no new features, except . . .

True. The improved screen is how I rationalized to myself that "upgrading" the Palm V was a practical decision

No question, Apple has cool through the roof. When I'm in the market for my next laptop, it's probably going to be a Powerbook (not the Macbook, whose design I hate) for reasons including but not limited to the cool factor. But if I we're moving on from the Treo, I'd rather get an HTCT than an iPhone that discriminates against developers.

There would be no third party developers for the iFoleo. There would only be Web 2.0.

At any rate, hypothetical products are developed with unlimited resources. Until the iFoleo hits the streets, enjoy your laptop!

Apparently the Palm V users you knew are very different from the users I met back in Silly Con Valley 1999-2001. Power users seemed to gravitate toward TRGpro/Palm IIIx/Palm IIIxe. Palm V were mainly for show.

I found the edges + width made the Palm V more difficult to handle.

Most people used their Palm III series devices with just the fliptop, while most people seemed to use their Palm V with cases, thereby negating any size/weight advantage.

I hope Palm rethinks its marketing strategy and at least gives Foleo purchasers say $100 of "Palm bucks" that can be spent buying third party apps from a Palm-run store that sells Foleo applications. $500 + $100 in "bonus" software MIGHT give Palm a fighting chance against the ASUS Eee PC etc. Palm can't afford to blow the Foleo's introduction the way they did with the LifeDrive. If the Foleo is shunned by early adopters, then developers will also ignore it, and the odds are there will never be a "Foleo 2".
    almost none of the palm users I knew (and I sold them for a bit too) used them close to naked, III or V. Maybe that's the difference between NE/Mid Atlantic and the Valley, who knows. Talk to sales people who kept business cards and the small notepad in a case with their palm. It was the perfect little combo way back when in a snazzy leather case.

As far as third party apps...is the linux OS in the foleo similar to what the OS will be in the linux treo? If third party developers don't buy in now, won't it mean even more growing pains when the treo is introduced?

And maybe no Foleo 2 isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    As far as third party apps...is the linux OS in the foleo similar to what the OS will be in the linux treo? If third party developers don't buy in now, won't it mean even more growing pains when the treo is introduced?
    Someone somewhere (a comment on PalmInfocenter, I think) said that the OS is very similar. I don't remember who or what the basis for the comment was. However, I think the situations are different. On a new Linux-core Treo, 1) it'll definitely have backwards compatibility through emulation, similar to what Garnet has to OS 4 and previous; 2) that's what a lot of people see as what's needed for things like 3G (for simultaneous voice and data) and WiFi. So it's a major shift to an existing category, not a new in-between category like the Foleo.
    I assumed the emulator part. You can't take so many generation of an OS and make it instantly obsolete. At the same time it'd be great to hit the ground running with developers that have been a little hungry to finally do something with a linux treo. You'll have all that innovation and what can you do? Run the same old stuff you did on your existing treos via an emulator. Woohooo....haha. Would just be nice to have enough similarity that they'd get their feet wet with the foleo and hit the ground running with the new treo.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345