Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In all this if the Foleo is going or not to make it, I think will depend on many things...

When I got my first Palm no one in my circle see the use of that, few years later, they all carry some kind of PDA (some people has better taste and Pick Palm, others don't)

I travel 80-85% of the Time. (Yes I am a Sales Person)

Took me years to jump to the Treo because my Palm had a bigger screen, after jumping to the Treo for me there was no way back. (unless they release a better platform with better screen)

I carry with (god knows how many lbs) with the Laptop, cables, and many accesories everyday from one place to the other as well as my Treo.

I understand that at the begining the Foleo will work for the people that do not require any special app, but leaving the Laptop at home, edit Word, PowerPoints and Excel docs on the go and carrying them on the Treo will take out a lot of weight of the Bag.

I have been testing remote access software, so I can access my PC (if need it) remotedly while I use the Foleo.

I made a list for the last 4 days (Saturday Afternoon, Sunday, Monday and Today) of all the things I do in the Laptop.

My Results:
    Word, Excel, Email, PIM, PowerPoint and Web.

This so far, meets all the known specs of the Foleo.

Yes will be times that I will need a Heavy Computer to do some work, but in the last 4 days has been zero, so even if I used once a week, I will be happy to wait for Friday at home or get into a Cyber Cafe or the Hotel Computer for a moment and do it remotelly and email to my Treo and my Foleo.

Took me sometime to understand why I buy new computers (and it is not because I need them) it is becasue I have the hope that more memory, more ram, more speed will allow me to access to my stuff faster so I can spend more time doing other stuff, that what the Foleo will provide, instant access with an interface to the Treo in a Perfect Size...

Again will not be a device for everyone, as the Treo it is not for Everyone either, but will allow you to work faster, easier and INSTANTLY...

In my case, I am counting the Days to Mid August to have one in my hands, that will complement my new Treo 680 and will make my MacBook jelaous, but will make my work easier.

I know that if wil have a computer that syncs perfectly anytime I go I will not need a Foleo, but i don't have a computer at home, at work, at the costumer site, in the plane, in the car; so I carry a Laptop. (soon a Foleo)

In my modest opinion, we do not need more laptops, not even a faster one, we need instant devices, a Palm with a Full size Keyboard and a Good Screen (the Foleo again) that can sync with my other devices in case I need heavy lifting.

I even hope Palm release a Foleo 2 with a 21" screen to leave permanently at the office... Wait, the Foleo can use the VGA Port... Again I think this Device will be perfect, and a soon as people tested in real life will jump to buy it...

Remember the iPod was an Expensive MP3 Player.

My prediction is that the Foleo will increase Treo Sales, as the iPod has increase Apple Mac Sales, people will be able to expirence a new kind of Palm Zen...

Again there is people that do not have iPods and do not need it, and do not want it, but that can not recognice how the iTunes/iPod movement has change the music industry and how great effect has done in the apple world.

One last note on this already long post (sorry) maybe Ben Coombe, 99.9% of the people is complaining about a device that they have not even got the specs or the hands on expirence (maybe except Gameboy70); so my question is how you know what it does and what doesn't.

BTW for the people that has not read the Specs the Foleo will Play MUSIC.

Best,
    Quote Originally Posted by apinaud View Post
    BTW for the people that has not read the Specs the Foleo will Play MUSIC.

Best,
    It also says in some articles it will play videos. I don't see why not, my Treo can play videos just fine.
    The Foleo hardware may be capable of music and video, but they haven't announced a media player yet, aside from Opera's Flash plug-in.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    With the addition of Avvenu I am leaning towards buying one. I am thinking this will be a mobile phone "agnostic" tool in the future. regardless whether you sue a Pam treo, Blackberry or Nokia this could be the ultimate tool to work with them. Imagine what that will do for PALM. A tool that even a RIM user might want to buy...
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    If they can get Google Maps working on this I think that will be another application that will help drive sales. I use it on my Treo all the time but the screen is so dang small that sometimes it really doesn't help. Especially for areas of town that I'm not real familiar with. The street names are so small it's very difficult to read them. To get my bearings I need to zoom out at which point the street names are unreadable. Having the instant on will of course help make using this even more useful.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I really don't understand why there is so much hate for the Foleo. I think it is brilliant and will sell very well once people see other people using it, just like the first Palm Pilot.

I have tons of friends who aren't tech savy at all and all they want is a computer that does e-mail and web. This would be perfect for them. Simple, light, and small. Something you could easily take with you, like a real folio.

All the people who talk about how a laptop is a better choice don't understand the common consumer. The common consumer doesn't care about the specs, how much ram it has, etc. They just want an easy to use product. Form before function.
    The common US consumer also won't pay $600 for less specs when they look at other offerings. They'd better move the Foleo AWAY from the laptop section at Best Buy. Or is it available only through Palm anyway?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    Yes, we know that specs are not necessarily what drives sales to the average consumer. But the Foleo does not appear to be aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. We'll soon see if the public agrees, because as things stand now there is not a lot in the Foleo package that warrants its $600 pricetag.
    It looks and acts like a business device, so only business consumers would be interested at this time. BUT $600 is still expensive for what this offers and unless employers are paying for it, I still think the Foleo will get a lukewarm reception. However, if the final specs look a lot better than what we're being told now, that could change.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The common US consumer also won't pay $600 for less specs when they look at other offerings. They'd better move the Foleo AWAY from the laptop section at Best Buy. Or is it available only through Palm anyway?
    You're still assuming that the common consumer understands the specs. From my experience helping many friends and family members they don't understand the difference between storage and memory. Once you've thrown 2-3 things to consider at them their eyes glaze over and they're ready to just buy what you tell them would be good for them. However, I agree that the $500 price tag is pretty steep given the limitations as we know them right now. If the next gen Foleo beefs up the hardware I think they'll have the success they seek. Of course that assumes the Foleo survives long enough to have a second gen.

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I don't know where Palm will be selling this, but at BB, they post specs on the display and people DO read them! And ask questions. So if you get a salesperson saying you can't do this and that on the Foleo, but this laptop for the same price or a little more does, the average consumer will get the laptop. That's why I say they shouldn't sell this in the laptop section.

But I was just at BB yesterday and Palm PDAs are now in the laptop section.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I don't doubt that people read the specs. I do doubt that they understand the specs. The younger shopper may understand them but the older shopper (the one with more disposable income) likely won't. As with most things the salesman will have great influence and if they favor the laptop over the Foleo then they will hurt sales. Conversely they could help sales if they are a fan and push the Foleo.

Did anyone attend the preview last night in NY?
    And consumers will make exchanges when they see they can't play on the Foleo.

I don't think this makes a good consumer device anyway though. It still seems all business to me. Through Palm and Office Max or Staples, it may work. Through Circuit City and Best Buy, I don't think so.

I see people keep on talking about the good ol days of palm pilot. it was really a huge success, but it was so long ago, and they havent been able to replicate their initial success.
    lets look at their recent products, the complete failure of the COBALT and the flop of the lifedrive.
    look at the top 10 smartphones on brighthand and other forums, the treo is placed way down on the list.

its just 1 big dissapointment after another, and the foleo may top all failures yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by apinaud View Post
    One last note on this already long post (sorry) maybe Ben Combee, 99.9% of the people is complaining about a device that they have not even got the specs or the hands on experience (maybe except Gameboy70); so my question is how you know what it does and what doesn't.
    I know the details because I'm one of the lead developers at Palm working on the software for the Foleo device. I've personally touched almost every aspect of the system and spent countless nights debugging problems and implementing features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Did anyone attend the preview last night in NY?
    I got sidetracked at the beach...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    If they can get Google Maps working on this I think that will be another application that will help drive sales.
    That 3rd party PIM application has the ability to map/directions for all your contaccts, so I think it is very possible.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bcombee View Post
    I know the details because I'm one of the lead developers at Palm working on the software for the Foleo device. I've personally touched almost every aspect of the system and spent countless nights debugging problems and implementing features.
    It must suck to get this kind of reception after working on this project for so long. I hope sentiment turns around for you when you finally release it.

Here are a few more questions. Feel free to ignore anything you can't talk about.

• Has there been any reassessment of the Foleo strategy (no need to explain the strategy here) as a result of the market reaction or the recent org changes?
    • TC had mentioned that the Foleo was powered by a few repurposed Treo batteries. Are there really three individual Treo batteries in the Foleo?
    • About how long do the batteries last with WiFi and bluetooth turned off?
    • Does the pairing with the smartphone involve, as some have suggested, directly tapping into the phone's databases without running the corresponding apps?
    • How long does it take to make the BT connection (and connect to the Internet) once it's turned on?
    • When you use a smartphone's Internet connection, does it look (to the carrier) like a laptop tethering?
    • Was Paul Mercer heavily involved in the industrial design aspects of the Foleo?
    • Will the Foleo and the Treo likely share a common SDK?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That 3rd party PIM application has the ability to map/directions for all your contaccts, so I think it is very possible.
    Yeah I saw that mentioned. I hope they are using Google Maps and not Mapquest in a browser or Google Maps in a browser for that matter.

Ben
    Your profile says you are in Austin TX, I didnt know Palm had facilities there?
    Dude! No more bullcrap. Does it:
    1) comes with any calendar app that can sync with the Treo
    2) comes with any mp3 and video playback software
    3) offer any way to open two browser windows at the same time?
    4) comes with a half way decent pdf reader?
    5) offer any kind of POS5 emulation like ALP was trying to do
    6) or Jave runime environment?

I don't want you to start a blog to get in touch with the users, just come right out and answer these questions and I am happy.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast