1.    #1  
    I'm not an expert but it seems to me that the Foleo is a modified, dumbed down DVD player. If you take away the DVD drive, use a cheaper lower quality screen and video processor, keep the same processor, add 128 megs of ram, then add a keyboard - you have a Foleo.

Why would this cost more than a portable DVD player from a production stand point?
    Why does the cheapest Lawnbott cost $1400? Surely the hardware components can't be more than $500? It's just a Roomba with blades.
  3.    #3  
    Haha! I knew that was coming. If I had control of the pricing, I would have them cost about $200, but it's out of my control.

Actually Lawnbotts are a lot more complicated and smarter than the Roomba. The Roomba is cheaply made and breaks often. Lawnbotts will last at least 8-10 years with only needing blades and batteries. The other parts are made to withstand the outdoor temps, weather and so on. If you see them side-by-side (in person) you'll agree that it's no comparison in terms of build quality.

And keep in mind that the Roomba is designed to handle about 1000sqft while Lawnbotts can handle over 1.25 acres and they aren't that much bigger than a Roomba!
    I think the missing element in both the Foleo and the Lawnbott is software and R&D. In the case of the Foleo, they spent tens of millions of dollars on the OS, the design, the testing, etc. You can't see that if you look at just the hardware components.

Btw, aren't you glad I gave you an opportunity to give your sales pitch?
  5.    #5  
    You are right... lots of dollars go into R&D for any new product. I didn't know the Foleo had a new OS. I had the impression it was using a modified PalmOS which led me to believe it wouldn't take a lot to develop... guess I was wrong.

I can see that developing a new OS would contribute a lot to the entry cost.

Also, that was no sales pitch... it was just a minor clarification.

In either case, I do think there's a market for the Foleo. I just hope that the market is big enough to sustain the product enough that Palms continues to add to it and hopefully reduce the price.

I personally will like to see them add video, more storage and function more indepently... umm like a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    In the case of the Foleo, they spent tens of millions of dollars on the OS, the design, the testing, etc.
    Uh huh. The same testing they did on the 700p. Keep it up, palm.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So why does it cost more than that Asua machine that we are discussing on a number of threads?
    Larger screen. Custom software developed from scratch. Probably more OS development work.

Oh, and MUCH larger margins.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Larger screen. Custom software developed from scratch. Probably more OS development work.

Oh, and MUCH larger margins.
    "What did we spend on R&D on the Foleo?"
    "$10m."
    " How many old, travelling executives who aren't fashion conscious and have never seen a laptop before are there in the World?"
    "About 25,000 in our target market sir."
    "Better make 400 profit per unit then!"

Hmm, that explains the price then.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...