Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/t...t-with-disc-d/

Wow Palm, you guys are still really, really behind. Why would I buy a Foleo when I can get a dual core 1.2ghz laptop that's about the same size?
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post

Wow Palm, you guys are still really, really behind. Why would I buy a Foleo when I can get a dual core 1.2ghz laptop that's about the same size?
    Without reading the article, a quick scan comes up with 1500 reasons.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Because I like the screen to be exactly 10 inches. I don't want vista. I just want linux, and it has to be Palm's version, so that my ability to upgrade is very limited.
    Funny how Palm limitations are seen as lethal while Apples limitations are justified and expected.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    That's because Apple has other popular products to fall back on. Palm only has the Treo, and it's dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post

Palm Foleo - $600
    Toshiba Portege R500 - +$2000

"'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    palm foleo- only a smartphone accesory with probably 128mb and severely underpoweredprocessor.500-600 bucks when released in the future.

ultraportables- can do anything a foleo can +a billion things more, prices will fall further in the future, and it will get even more powerful.
    The incredible part is tha lst line of the article:

The laptop starts at $2,000 with XP Pro, or $2,150 with Vista Business, but the real fun starts later this year when Toshiba starts shipping 64GB SSD configurations, which once specced to a 3 cell battery and no optical drive will weigh a paltry 1.72 pounds.

Yes, it costs much more than the Fooly-eo, but heavens, it's like comparing a Yugo and a Mercedes...it is so typical Palm, a day late and $1,500 short...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    it's like comparing a Yugo and a Mercedes...
    Correct! Why compare when they are clearly a different animal targeted for different needs.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Correct! Why compare when they are clearly a different animal targeted for different needs.
    But what kind of ***** would try to flog Yugos to "executives"?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    But what kind of ***** would try to flog Yugos to "executives"?
    Executives doesn't always = Technological need (or able for that matter)

Plus 70% of the mission critical apps I use are Web based. It doesn't take a genious to see that in a short time this will near 100%
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    If price was really a consideration when they made the Foleo, they would've sell it at $200 and distribute it via Walmart. It will not stack up feature-wise against a Toshiba, but at least it's cheap enough.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Because Palm is trying to sell a Yugo in a Mercedez dealership. The Yugo should be subject to high expectations when it's in the Mercedez showroom. What do you expect when you walk into a Mercedez dealership, a Yugo??
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Executives doesn't always = Technological need (or able for that matter)

Plus 70% of the mission critical apps I use are Web based. It doesn't take a genious to see that in a short time this will near 100%
    I was always taught that given a straight choice, people would usually choose what the want over what they need. The Foleo has all the sex appeal of a road accident; people won't want it. They would rather carry a slightly heavier full notebook to prove how "executivy" they are, or have their employers shell out for an ultraportable, if they are Genuinely Important.

("Genious"??? )
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete View Post
    Because Palm is trying to sell a Yugo in a Mercedez dealership. The Yugo should be subject to high expectations when it's in the Mercedez showroom. What do you expect when you walk into a Mercedez dealership, a Yugo??
    Says who?
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    ("Genious"??? )
    See!! My treo or Foleo would have automatically caught that with Textplus. Sure my ultra able lappy could do it, but it requires an extra step.
    Yet another reason.

Asus and Intel seem to be bridging the gap between the fairly humanitarian efforts of the OLPC project and their own Classmate PC efforts, and the recent rash of mini-laptop attempts such as Palm's Foleo and VIA's NanoBook. Specs and launch plans aren't entirely nailed down, but this new Eee PC line has quite a bit going for it, even as crowded as this market is getting. The 7-inch ultraportable is based on an unnamed Intel chipset, and runs regular Windows XP or Linux without a problem, but really shines in its "easy" mode that strips things down to a barebones OS mainly for internet browsing (sound familiar, Foleo?). Asus didn't even leave Palm alone with its Wii comparisons either, stating that the Eee name, which stands for "easy to learn, easy to play, easy to work," also conveniently conjures images of the Wii game console, which is known for being novice-friendly. The Eee line will kick things off with the Eee PC 701, which will sport 802.11b/g WiFi, Ethernet and a modem for connectivity, along with a webcam, 512MB of RAM and a 4, 8 or 16GB flash drive for speedy, reliable storage. The real kicker is that prices for the 2 pound laptop are supposed to start as low as $200, and the Intel / Asus duo won't be aiming this at massive governmental purchases, but instead will be offering it to consumers through traditional retail channels.
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/a...y-with-a-bang/

Full XP and 2 GB of storage for only $200. Shame on you Palm, shame on you...

Surur
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Says who?
    Says their retail strategy. Do you know of a Palm Store at a low to median income neighborhood? The stores are opened at places frequented by executives.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete View Post
    Says their retail strategy. Do you know of a Palm Store at a low to median income neighborhood? The stores are opened at places frequented by executives.
    Oh! Didn't realize you were making the assumption that Execs and/or people with median income only buy top notch full featured most expensive (insert item). I know execs and/or median income people that simply use a samsung flip for their cell phone, so I didn't automatically come to the same assumption.

If they only buy full featured unlimiting products why is the BB popular?
    Last edited by sxtg; 06/05/2007 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Yet another reason.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/a...y-with-a-bang/

Full XP and 2 GB of storage for only $200. Shame on you Palm, shame on you...

Surur
    It's like the whole world was waiting to pounce on Jeff & Co. When will they ever learn?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast