1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/v...aportable-lap/

The NanoBook runs on either Windows XP or Vista, weighs less than 850g (1.87 pounds), and sports a 1.2GHz VIA C7-M processor, up to 1GB of RAM, a 30GB hard drive, a 7-inch WVGA display, 802.11g WiFi, Bluetooth (they don't specify which kind), DVI-out, a slot next to the screen where you can pop in a GPS, VoIP, or WWAN module (the module in the pic above is some world clock thing), and up to five hours of battery life.
    Now the design has a number of flaws that I'm not that happy on *but* why is it that for an extra $100 bucks the spec is out of sight of the Foleo? Even within the simple computing paradigm they are going for - they couldn't ram up the spec and still make push it out for $500 ?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/v...aportable-lap/
    Even within the simple computing paradigm they are going for - they couldn't ram up the spec and still make push it out for $500 ?
    no, no, no, because a central pillar of the Third Business Paradigm is that there is a whole swathe of executives for whom being suckered for a few extra hundred bucks is irrelevant.

.....but wow, yes, that is one neat device for the rest of us!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm not sure about that side-screen thing but it looks like a number of OEMs are looking at it to base their own models off - I'm guess some of those will just go for a 10inch screen.
    If they could sell that for $600, it would be more compelling than the Foleo. The key difference is the screen size (10" vs. 7"). But I think the full-size keyboard is really the critical factor. For email and editing documents, 7" may be enough.

Palm would have to compete on usability (instant on/off, tying to smartphone, simple UI, etc.), which is a tougher sell.