Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/04/p...o-bono-others/
    If I'm reading this correctly it may mean Hawkins is out and/or that he's just not in charge anymore when it comes to product development..??
    Jon Rubinstein Apple’s former head of hardware who helped pioneer iPod) joins Palm as executive chairman to head up product development
    "Executive Chairman" means that he's technically gonna be the most senior guy in the company (above Colligan), but he'll be getting his hands dirty with the products, unlike most Chairmen. He's replacing the current Chairman, Benhamou, not Hawkins. In fact, he issued a statement of support for Colligan and Hawkins, which suggests that he intends to have them stick around.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. I'm not to keen on corporate titles/structure.
    So, what do you guys think this means for the Foleo?
    More importantly do you guys think this is a direct result of the Foleo's cold reception?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm not to keen on corporate titles/structure.
    So, what do you guys think this means for the Foleo?
    More importantly do you guys think this is a direct result of the Foleo's cold reception?
    No, this move would have been in the works long before the public had any knowledge of Foleo. Whatever the longterm plans are for Foleo, the management team would now know about. If it does affect the future of Foleo, we won't know for a while. However, I doubt they will kill or drastically alter a product announced less then a week ago and not even sold yet.
    hey - isn't hawkins part -time ? I think i read that here on treocentral ... While he may not be replace by this guy, i would think he would take a lesser role considering he is part time and just delivered his big net category. just a guess
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I think Hawkins just doesn't care anymore. He's stated repeatedly that he was only in all this for the money to further his brain research.
    Unless he doesn't feel he has the capital to keep the brain thing going, he may just switch to Numenta full time having fulfilled what he felt was the culmination of his vision for mobile computing.
    I don't completely agree with his vision, but hey at least he's trying or tried.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Almost forgot. Now that Bono has a vested interest in Palm, I'm wondering if he'll start pitching Treo's rather than pitching the IPhone as he did the IPod in the past?
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    There was an interesting article somewhere about this - Hawkings team is basically a silo - it operates on it's own and does what it wants (within reason) so I don't think he's had a main production development responsibility for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    "Executive Chairman" means that he's technically gonna be the most senior guy in the company (above Colligan), but he'll be getting his hands dirty with the products, unlike most Chairmen. He's replacing the current Chairman, Benhamou, not Hawkins. In fact, he issued a statement of support for Colligan and Hawkins, which suggests that he intends to have them stick around.
    Yes the new chairman likes both Colligan and Hawkins, this is what he said today:

Jon Rubinstein added, "I have tremendous respect for Ed Colligan, Jeff Hawkins and their team, and I am thrilled by the prospect of helping Palm deliver innovative products capable of transforming the mobile-device market. Approximately 1 billion cell phones are sold each year, and mobile computing is a category with enormous potential. This is a company with an impressive history of introducing game-changing products -- it pioneered the smartphone -- and I intend to help extend that legacy."
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ya, I saw that. It was an analysts take on the Foleo and he basically made the comment "This is what happens when an individual creates a product rather than a team."
    He even went so far as to say if there was a team working on it, it probably would have not been made and/or looked very different.
    This is the quote that should have set off the Alarm Bells in the Engadget article:
    Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    The wires are alight with news that Palm will be announcing a deal to sell a 25% stake to Elevation Partners.
    The classic "restructuring ploy" enroute to the inevitable sale of a corporation. Bring in some big names, offer them a piece of the profit from a very positive sale, then put yourself on the market with a (probably) inflated price. CNET had a little more depth on the subject with this article which included:
    Quote Originally Posted by CNET
    Palm's latest product, a 2.5-pound Linux-based laptop dubbed the Foleo, was announced to some confusion recently, and analysts have been wondering whether the company can stay relevant in a market where it must now compete with everyone from cell phone makers to Apple.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Almost forgot. Now that Bono has a vested interest in Palm, I'm wondering if he'll start pitching Treo's rather than pitching the IPhone as he did the IPod in the past?
    No, it just means there will be a U2 branded Treo like with the iPod.

Joe
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    hehe,
    it would probably even come in a cool new color!!!!
    but seriously it has to be pretty demeaning to Hawkins when an former apple engineer is brought in to head the company.
    The board and management from PalmOne is now pretty much gone. Check out the attached slide: "...continued leadership from Jeff Hawkins and Donna Dubinsky."

It looks like Handspring took over PalmOne, not the other way around. The original founders of the company, Hawkins and Dubinsky, are still major management players.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hehe,
    it would probably even come in a cool new color!!!!
    but seriously it has to be pretty demeaning to Hawkins when an former apple engineer is brought in to head the company.
    I thought many of the Palm executives were ex-Apple in any case?

Surur