Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    1) TX or Lifedrive with built in phone.
    (a bit bulky for a phone, but screen is big enough and it's a single device)

2) TX or Lifedrive that can sync with Treo
    (Treo for phone and PIM, TX for applications. requiring larger screen. Both are pocketable and can be kept fully synchronised)

3) A new Treo with more abilities, like 3G etc.

4) The Foleo is still the best offering

5) Let me add something. A keyboardless Treo with a taller screen.
    John
    Last edited by Brjlk; 06/04/2007 at 10:38 AM.
    If you had to counter Apple, a TX-based smartphone slider with QWERTY keyboard underneath, 15mm thick, would have been rather cool, with 3 megapixel camera at HSDPA. A bit like this, but with QWERTY and slightly thinner. Portrait, not square touch screen.

This would not replace Treos, but be in addition to it, a more media-centric line.

It would have a 3.5 mm headphone jack, 2 GB local storage and a deal with Rhapsody so you could stream rhapsody over the air. It would have made the Iphone look silly.

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    What Surur said, or the original no. 3 option. Convergence is still the way to go, so better screen (320x480), 3G, second SD slot (one for memory, one for GSM or whatever, or for even more memory). Thinner, lighter. PalmLinux with legacy PalmOS compatibility. Chattermail built in. Sync to Sunbird/Lightning (or even drop Palm Desktop & adopt Mozilla instead - why support software you don't have to and make no money from?) Standard USB port on Treo for sync & charge.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    How about a phone that doesn't constantly reset, or Bluetooth that actually works. Maybe spending a bit more time working on a reliable product rather than another new mediocre one.
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    A Foleo that's at least $200 cheaper.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post

(Treo for phone and PIM, TX for applications. requiring larger screen. Both are pocketable and can be kept fully synchronised)

John
    3G Treo at less that .5 inches deep.
    Well, I would have preferred the Foleo to have had touchscreen capability. For example The monitor could reverse so, I could use it like a tablet pc. This configuration would open the foleo be a digital notepad and a reader. I think it needs to come with a faster proccessor that allows it to support web-video like you-tube.

I am fine with the flash memory concept. It should have come on board with a gigabyte though. I understand Hawkings vision, but from marketing standpoint in the present people are probably thinking my smartphone has memory than this, why should I invest in something this big that is less capable than my smartphone.

In terms of connectivity it should have come with wi-max capability in additon to wi-fi. It should have also come with the cability of using a air-card. Being as its a mobile companion it should have been loaded up with every possible means of connectivity.

This thing needs to come with some applications besides email, web, documents to go, a pdf viewer, and a last minute throw in photo viewer. It needs to at least some some PIM applications.

Also, this things is overpriced. I needs to come down to $500 with a mail in rebate taking it to $400. The price point is pushing this device too close to laptop territory.

I think that is was a bad move to market it as a device that depends on a smartphone.

On another note I think the smartphone that people are dying for(including myself) is right around the corner. I believe that by the end of the year we are going to see a smartphone from palm that will have some kind of Life-drive or TX form factor that will be multi-touch screen with all the bells and whistles that we have been wanting for sometime. I think you can expect this smartphone to be thinner, running the new linux platform with backward compadability to Garnet. I can see it having built in GPS. I an note sure if this device will have wi-fi though.

I don't see the Foleo as the failure that people are making it out to be. This device has potential especially with potential apps coming from third party developers. I am thinking and hoping that with they will drop the price before launch. If they do I am there.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I love the idea of a treo companion, but would want the "laptop" component to be totally dumbed down, such that it's just a larger keyboard/screen device that passively receives information from the treo, thus allowing the device to be much thinner, lighter and CHEAPER.

on the (new) treo side of the equation, the unit would be able to sense when its talking to the larger screen. At least some of its software (in particular the browser) would then adjust its display output to exploit the expanded real estate.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Radar View Post
    A Foleo that's at least $200 cheaper.
    and has an ipod video dock.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Linux-based Treo with HSDPA and 320x320 display that also has full Exchange Activesync capabilities. I'd buy it in a second!

Joe
    a much more current Treo.......something less bulky, less heavy, and less brick-like would be a good start.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Umm, anything?

Seriously, how about lighter, thinner, more stable? I want a bleeding edge smartphone from Palm not a limited pretend laptop.

Lots of nice laptops from other companies without the restrictions of the Fooleo. And they work with smartphones tethered too!

Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post

John
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    3) A Treo based on the HTC S710.

- By default, it's a boring candybar phone. Numpad, basic nav options, and that's *it.* It just so happens to have PalmOS.

- Rotate sideways and slide it open, and you get QWERTY.

- Bump up the resolution to 320x480, surpassing the existing Treo units, or go whole-hog with a bleeding edge 800x480 display, allowing you to view web pages in a pinch.

- Touch-sensitive screen.

- A video/CPU combo capable of rotating, zooming, and scaling on the fly, so that the high res doesn't burn your eyes out.

- CDMA (EV-DO rev. A) and GSM (HSDPA) versions.

With this form factor, and a lot of intelligent software, the Foleo would become less and less relevant.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Instead of the Foleo I would much prefer a smartphone then is so much better then my Treo 650. Still waiting on that smartphone to be produced somewhere.
    3) A Treo based on a Treo but with multi-tasking Linux OS and updated UI, HSDPA, SiRFStarIII GPS, USB 2, BT 2, mini-USB connector, thinner. I don't think there's that much wrong with the basic Treo design but a landscape screen with exposed QWERTY (like the E61/E62) might be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    3) A Treo based on a Treo but with multi-tasking Linux OS and updated UI, HSDPA, SiRFStarIII GPS, USB 2, BT 2, mini-USB connector, thinner. I don't think there's that much wrong with the basic Treo design but a landscape screen with exposed QWERTY (like the E61/E62) might be nice.
    I'll second that. Add 1GB internal Flash memory and it's perfect. Get with the times, Palm! You're still using technology that's generations old!
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755