I saw Colligan's interview last night. I think he actually makes a good point about the four basic things(email, documents, web, games) people do on the go with their laptop. The only thing missing is maybe music.

I think a flaw in there strategy is promoting this as being dependent on a treo. I think the mobile companion idea can actually work as a stand alone device, that just happens to be able to use your smart phone as one means of connecting. Frankly, they probably should have waited closer to launch to even announce the product so they could talk about what other applications it will include.
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Jason I agree with you that that the strategy of trying to use the Treo to get a foothold in the market may have backfired strongly. This product could be a lot more than a phone companion.

Also, the Foleo doesn't offer much help in one area where the Palm originally shone, was as a calendaring device. My guess is that this is down the road a ways. But to be successful for business use, it should facilitate and sync the schedule as well as the email. I think it's an oversight.

Regards,

Matt
    It's interesting that he said it could be used with any broadband phone. I wonder how many broadband phones aren't smartphones?
    Most.

Surur
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I am unfamilar with this term "broadband phone"?

In one interview, Hawkings was talking about how little work was required to get this to work with other non-palm smartphones - suggesting they would or have been doing such work. In another, he was saying that getting this to work with another smart phone was a matter for the manufacturer of the smart-phone be it - blackberry or malefactors of symbians devices.
    I assume he means any 3G phone, with e.g. EVDO or HSDPA. Most of these phones are not smartphones these days.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I am unfamilar with this term "broadband phone"?

In one interview, Hawkings was talking about how little work was required to get this to work with other non-palm smartphones - suggesting they would or have been doing such work. In another, he was saying that getting this to work with another smart phone was a matter for the manufacturer of the smart-phone be it - blackberry or malefactors of symbians devices.
    My understanding is that it will require little to no software effort by Palm to get it to work with Windows Mobile smartphones, and getting it to work with closed platforms requires a relatively small effort by the other companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I assume he means any 3G phone, with e.g. EVDO or HSDPA. Most of these phones are not smartphones these days.

Surur
    This I didn't know. I guess I should have realized that those video services were running on 3G.

It's probably not possible to use those feature phones as modems, right?
    No reason why not, but of course it depends whether the carrier got the feature disabled or not.

Surur
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No reason why not, but of course it depends whether the carrier got the feature disabled or not.

Surur
    Very easy with a nokia s60 (I have an e61)
    The Nokias are viewed as smartphones... I was wondering whether the multimedia phones would be Foleo-capable. You know, so 15-year olds could do email on Foleos.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The Nokias are viewed as smartphones... I was wondering whether the multimedia phones would be Foleo-capable. You know, so 15-year olds could do email on Foleos.
    My e61 is far more limited in many ways that any of the treos that I had - but the funny thing is - I use it far far more because what it does do, it does really well and as a phone is rock-steady. That would be my other concern with the foleo - it might be instant-on but I keep having flashbacks to making calls on my treo and it reseting or locking. Hopefully the quality control is going to be a lot better this time round.