1.    #1  
    Interesting to know that the same argument for and against the Foleo is happening at the other side of the world too.

If anything it shows that Palm Users still care a lot about Palm to even argue about the Foleo. Someone once told me the opposite of Love is not Hate, but indifference. I guess we feel enough for Palm to talk about Foleo.

Just my perspective...

I feel that so far most proponents of the Foleo talk about what it can do for Palm Inc. as a future product line and its potential, i.e., basically Palm's business and profitability, and telling others not to be quick to judge the product.

But I am not an employee nor a shareholder of Palm, so I don't need to care about Palm's business model but my own needs.... I am not paid to justify their strategy, but rather I pay for their product so that they have money to earn a living and also reinvest back into the business to design better product that I need. This is what I kept stressing... it's not about Foleo or Palm but me as a Palm OS treo user coz I am the consumer.

What they could have done is to continue with the Foleo, but update their Treo line at the same time. Unless of course Palm has given up on the Treo line? or it is not possible to have 3G and Wifi for Palm OS Treo due to its OS (coz hardware is obviously not an issue)? Can any techie shed light on this? In the GSM world, all we have for Palm OS Treo is the 680 and the 650 in the 2nd hand market... that's it...

Yup, sure... I might be given a Foleo by my company in the future if the Foleo have all the other proprietary apps the company needs (that's for Palm to convince my IT, not me... and I don't pay a single cent for since it is the company's, be it a USD500 Foleo or a USD2k ultraportable). Or I might buy it myself when the Foleo 2.0 meet my needs for a mobile companion. BUT, if Palm still only has a Treo 680 by then, I am pretty sure my smartphone won't be a Palm. How long do I wait to download emails with attachments or surf using GPRS?

A simple analogy to end this and hopefully explain why this uproar among some Palm users - It's like Ferrari, instead of saying they are launching the F430 to replace the 360 after it has been around for 6 years, they announced that all that they are making for now is a car that can fly, but not at great speed since it is so new. However, this new product goes from 0-100kph in 20 seconds on land. Yes it's a revoluntionary product line... but is it what Ferrari owners want? Yes to that even... but probably to a subsegment of Ferrari users. The rest? They might just switch to a new Lamborghini coz all they want is just a fast car, not something that flies coz they have their own private jet for that.

cheers!
    Last edited by mojoe73; 06/03/2007 at 10:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ALMOST a good analogy except that the new product Ferrari comes out with looks like an ok small hobby plane, but in this world for three times the price of Ferrari's you can get a REAL one, that does go fast, but takes a little bit longer to take off.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDot View Post
    ALMOST a good analogy except that the new product Ferrari comes out with looks like an ok small hobby plane, but in this world for three times the price of Ferrari's you can get a REAL one, that does go fast, but takes a little bit longer to take off.

how very true..

But the car-plane is not to be compared with the jet... Ferrari is not positioning it as such... it is a different product line altogether.

It is a frustrating time for Treo users... sigh...
    Last edited by mojoe73; 06/03/2007 at 10:55 PM.