Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    Since when did anyone decide to mount the Folio on the dash? We have TomTom on our Treo's for navigation. You seem to argue for arguments sake.
    Sorry, were you planning to keep the Foleo on the seat next to you?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Sorry, were you planning to keep the Foleo on the seat next to you?

Surur
    I think you misinterpreted "travel system" to mean GPS.
    Sorry, my mistake. You are right, and for a limited number of tasks it would make a good travel system.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    we can go around and around in circles on this one but my *gut* (and that's all it is) tells me that this is not going to see significant pentration into any exec marketplace - because if they want a sub-notebook, the cost implications are not as prohibitive as they are for other groups. As for Palm fans - I don't see that much of an appeal, they have bought into the idea that one device is all you need so I don't see much of a takeup there.
    It's true that businesses can spend more on tech, but the generalization that they are not price sensitive is incorrect. While some companies spend lavishly on their employees, the vast majority view computers as tools which serve a practical purpose.

The problem in large companies is that employees often have a diverse set of needs. Because it's expensive to support many different models and configurations, large companies tend to standardize around a bloated configuration. You're not going to see large companies suddenly switching all their laptops to the Foleo, of course, because there's the risk that someone somewhere needs much more than that.

But smaller companies and groups that buy autonomously within large companies and have a homogenous set of needs, such as sales organizations, would have the ability to evaluate the Foleo. I think in the short term, most companies will decide against it, for a variety of reasons.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    It's true that businesses can spend more on tech, but the generalization that they are not price sensitive is incorrect. While some companies spend lavishly on their employees, the vast majority view computers as tools which serve a practical purpose.

The problem in large companies is that employees often have a diverse set of needs. Because it's expensive to support many different models and configurations, large companies tend to standardize around a bloated configuration. You're not going to see large companies suddenly switching all their laptops to the Foleo, of course, because there's the risk that someone somewhere needs much more than that.

But smaller companies and groups that buy autonomously within large companies and have a homogenous set of needs, such as sales organizations, would have the ability to evaluate the Foleo. I think in the short term, most companies will decide against it, for a variety of reasons.
    I know it's a different situation in the states but within the UK, most organisations would not touch the feleo with a bargepole - it's seen as a hobbyist thing. Also while I agree with the autonomy that many smaller organisations have - they still tend to settle on a single kit supplier - I can buy anything I like - but it has to say dell on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I know it's a different situation in the states but within the UK, most organisations would not touch the feleo with a bargepole - it's seen as a hobbyist thing. Also while I agree with the autonomy that many smaller organisations have - they still tend to settle on a single kit supplier - I can buy anything I like - but it has to say dell on it.
    The Foleo right now has little software, little memory, and a weak processor, so I'd expect many people to dismiss it as useless in the short term. That's not just a UK thing. I look forward to seeing whether any of that changes after initial launch.

As for Dell, I know that they sell Treos to their corporate customers, so it's not out of the question that they'd sell the Foleo, though they might see it as a competing product.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12