Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Ok, Iíve been reading the previews and posts about the foleo, and the column in this weeks Takin Treo.
    And I just have to say my 2c. I work for a large company that sells IT equipment to these large corporates and let me tell you, the Foleo isnít going to make it in that market. There are so many reasons why. And the last one which every keeps talking about Ė price isnít even on the radar. Seriously guys, if you have BDMís or managers flying around the country in jets, the bloody last thing the IT manager at the company is going to do is try to save a few thousand on a laptop. They ARE going to buy ultra light laptops like the Toshiba, IBM and Fujitsu and they ARE going to have a smart phone. There is no way in the world these will ever replace a corporate roll out of laptops. Then letís not even talk about security and the software (there is a reason most companies have only just upgraded to XP...)
    The only thing this is going to find a market for is Geeks who like to have as much tech toys as they can get. There is no way in the world any serious company would use these, the risks are just too high. I get annoyed every time I read people saying such things and felt I had to say something.
    Really, if itís to hard for Palm to make a thinner Treo with Wifi, GPs and 3.5mm headphone, they should such just say so and close up shop so we can all move on.
    Cheers,
  2. Brjlk's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alt-x View Post
    Ok, I’ve been reading the previews and posts about the foleo, and the column in this weeks Takin Treo.
    And I just have to say my 2c. I work for a large company that sells IT equipment to these large corporates and let me tell you, the Foleo isn’t going to make it in that market. There are so many reasons why. And the last one which every keeps talking about – price isn’t even on the radar. Seriously guys, if you have BDM’s or managers flying around the country in jets, the bloody last thing the IT manager at the company is going to do is try to save a few thousand on a laptop. They ARE going to buy ultra light laptops like the Toshiba, IBM and Fujitsu and they ARE going to have a smart phone. There is no way in the world these will ever replace a corporate roll out of laptops. Then let’s not even talk about security and the software (there is a reason most companies have only just upgraded to XP...)
    The only thing this is going to find a market for is Geeks who like to have as much tech toys as they can get. There is no way in the world any serious company would use these, the risks are just too high. I get annoyed every time I read people saying such things and felt I had to say something.
    Really, if it’s to hard for Palm to make a thinner Treo with Wifi, GPs and 3.5mm headphone, they should such just say so and close up shop so we can all move on.
    Cheers,
    I tend to agree with you.Big companies that have the buying power to buy in bulk will not take into consideration the money factor.
    That's why many big companies prefer to pay for Microsoft Office suites than use the free Open Office. The learning time,training and conversion will cost them more.

    John
  3. #3  
    To assume that Mega corps make up most of the business world and that they would be the only target audience is more than just a little arrogant
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brjlk View Post
    I tend to agree with you.Big companies that have the buying power to buy in bulk will not take into consideration the money factor.
    That's why many big companies prefer to pay for Microsoft Office suites than use the free Open Office. The learning time,training and conversion will cost them more.

    John
    Well, the point is that they do take cost into consideration, but that cost includes training and technical support, which can exceed the retail cost of a device.

    The big question, beyond whether managers even want it, is how much it would cost to support the Foleo in an organization. In its present state, that would be extremely low, given that it's solid state and really has no software to install. The picture could of course change a lot after the product launches.
  5. edoan's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #5  
    sxtg, I hate to break it to ya, but the megacorps DO make up most of the business world. There's lots of B2Bs and IT suppliers like IBM, CSC, Accenture, etc. who couldn't give a darn about SMBs and make billions ignoring the little guy. That's why Palm is in such bad shape ... they built their product for consumers/small businesses, and neglected management, security, provisioning, etc. that RIM/WinMob got right.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    sxtg, I hate to break it to ya, but the megacorps DO make up most of the business world. There's lots of B2Bs and IT suppliers like IBM, CSC, Accenture, etc. who couldn't give a darn about SMBs and make billions ignoring the little guy. That's why Palm is in such bad shape ... they built their product for consumers/small businesses, and neglected management, security, provisioning, etc. that RIM/WinMob got right.
    I realize there revenue might make up most of the business revenue.

    But...
    There are entire Counties, make that STATES that don't have a single person employed by IBM or CSC, or Accenture etc...
    Believe it or not those people, know how to and most often do, use a computer.

    I was referring to people not revenue.

    Umm....
    RIM "go it right" by KISS (keep it simple Stupid)! When they saturated the business world they didn't do anything but email.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    I realize there revenue might make up most of the business revenue.

    But...
    There are entire Counties, make that STATES that don't have a single person employed by IBM or CSC, or Accenture etc...
    Believe it or not those people, know how to and most often do, use a computer.

    I was referring to people not revenue.

    Umm....
    RIM "go it right" by KISS (keep it simple Stupid)! When they saturated the business world they didn't do anything but email.
    Actually, I'm sure that every state has at least a few IBM employees. Their sales organization is very pervasive.

    But your point is correct - that small and medium-sized businesses employ more people in aggregate than large corporations. I don't know about tech purchases though.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    sxtg, I hate to break it to ya, but the megacorps DO make up most of the business world. There's lots of B2Bs and IT suppliers like IBM, CSC, Accenture, etc. who couldn't give a darn about SMBs and make billions ignoring the little guy. That's why Palm is in such bad shape ... they built their product for consumers/small businesses, and neglected management, security, provisioning, etc. that RIM/WinMob got right.
    ???? SMB doesn't matter to big IT corps??? You must not have worked on the marketing side of tech before.

    Foleo doesn't need to get into the mega corp to be a success. SMB buys plenty of IT stuff (not as much as the fortune 1000 on a per employee basis), but there are so many SMBs out there, and as a group, they represent a huge opportunity for any IT firm. SMB tends to buy through channels (CDW, ever heard of them?) because they are too small to be serviced directly by the big boys. Dell, however, is an exception because of their direct model.

    http://www.emarketer.com/Report.aspx...it_spend_jan04
  9. edoan's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #9  
    @Rome, I'm a customer-facing engineer, so no, I'm not in marketing or segment analysis, etc.

    I know CDW, TigerDirect, and plenty of channel distributors make a living out of selling to SMB accounts to whom many IT suppliers wouldn't even give time of day. However, my point is that revenue is king ... and selling into megacorps is how you make revenue/GP. In addition, megacorps are willing to splurge on support, training, and services which is where the huge GP comes in. At that point, the hardware is more of a loss-leader or minimal profit instrument to get more services/support sold.

    @sxtg -- RIM didn't win on KISS alone b/c the Zen of Palm was/is KISS at its best. They won because they integrated with Exchange/Outlook, offered centralized management, and government-grade security/encryption. WinMob is doing well because you can deploy .NET IT applications that are developed from the same code base and tools as other enterprise apps. Palm, meanwhile, still sold fancy organizers that weren't easily manageable, and while I love my PalmOS Treo, I still can't convince my IT department that it's better than BlackBerry and can connect to our BES server w/o introducing instabilities.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    @Rome, I'm a customer-facing engineer, so no, I'm not in marketing or segment analysis, etc.

    I know CDW, TigerDirect, and plenty of channel distributors make a living out of selling to SMB accounts to whom many IT suppliers wouldn't even give time of day. However, my point is that revenue is king ... and selling into megacorps is how you make revenue/GP. In addition, megacorps are willing to splurge on support, training, and services which is where the huge GP comes in. At that point, the hardware is more of a loss-leader or minimal profit instrument to get more services/support sold.

    @sxtg -- RIM didn't win on KISS alone b/c the Zen of Palm was/is KISS at its best. They won because they integrated with Exchange/Outlook, offered centralized management, and government-grade security/encryption. WinMob is doing well because you can deploy .NET IT applications that are developed from the same code base and tools as other enterprise apps. Palm, meanwhile, still sold fancy organizers that weren't easily manageable, and while I love my PalmOS Treo, I still can't convince my IT department that it's better than BlackBerry and can connect to our BES server w/o introducing instabilities.
    Thats what I said. (KISS) It did one thing and one thing well.

Posting Permissions