1.    #1  
    Maybe, just maybe, the Foleo isn't meant to be a companion for the current Treo as much as for the next generation of Treos that hasn't been introduced yet.

Let's say Palm has a vision for a next-generation Treo that will compete with the iPhone or the slimmed-down smartphones like Q and Prada. But a sleeker form factor or revolutionary new technology might not fit together with all the capabilities we've come to expect in a Treo. So they decided to offload some of those capabilities onto a companion device that might not make much sense today but could be dynamite in concert with Hawkin's vision for a new Treo.

I dunno, does this make sense, or is it a fantasy? Am I placing too much trust in Hawkin's ultimate game plan? Or is what we see what we're gonna get?

Visor Deluxe - VisorPhone - Treo 270 - Treo 600 - Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Ya Man Totally!!!!!!
    The only flaw I see in your thinking is that if they were making Foleo for a new Treo, why not release that Treo along with it? Instead they release the 755p, which is not a big step up like you were talking about.
  4.    #4  
    Isn't Palm supposed to be developing a Linux-based Treo? Maybe that's the one that will be the companion for the Foleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, the Foleo isn't meant to be a companion for the current Treo as much as for the next generation of Treos that hasn't been introduced yet.

Kinda what I was asking here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144270
    Next gen Treo?
    NFW.

The Treo itself has a lot of upside.

The Foleo/TOA is a niche product.

And what everyone is missing is that battery life on the Treo is already not super...tying it with yet another device (which will suck battery on both ends) is just plain foolish.

Oh well.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswords View Post
    Let's say Palm has a vision for a next-generation Treo that will compete with the iPhone or the slimmed-down smartphones like Q and Prada. But a sleeker form factor or revolutionary new technology might not fit together with all the capabilities we've come to expect in a Treo.
    That's what worries me about a too slim Treo which is a computer with phone capabilities:- It may not be very useful if you don't have the Foleo. Is Palm not forcing us to buy the Foleo ... or forcing us to leave Palm?

John
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Yes, NewtonJack, it's exactly what you were talking about. Sorry I missed your thread. But I think your respondent WorthB hits it closer to the mark:

Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    The Foleo defines a new user interface for Palm, streamlined and simplistic, in true Palm fashion, but not limited as in the past by PDA or smartphone screensize. Not just a user interface, but a whole new OS. The UI, apps, and data can all be hosted by the phone and exported to the Foleo, but it doesn't stop there. When you sit at your desktop pc, or open up your laptop, or walk up to a kiosk or even an atm machine, you can have full access to the apps and data on your phone. THIS is Hawkins dream, the computer is in your pocket and goes with you everywhere. How you access it is where it is going to get fun.
    I doubt the new apps will be server-based because of the cellphone minutes, and because lots of people (including me) don't like to keep their personal documents on someone else's server. WorthB's concept (and, hopefully, Hawkins') is really exciting. The computer is always in your pocket. It's sleek and trim and beautiful for the executive market. You can handle basic phone and email capability without any supporting devices. You can access laptop-like capabilities via bluetooth from your lightweight companion device or in other ways. As a Mac user, I'd love to stop lugging my PowerBook/MacBook around on business trips.

The real test will be if Hawkins can realize the "smartphone companion" vision with the Blackberry phone in addition to the Treo. If he's really after the business market, Blackberry already owns that market.

So when do you think they're going to release the next-generation linuxphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb
    When you sit at your desktop pc, or open up your laptop, or walk up to a kiosk or even an atm machine, you can have full access to the apps and data on your phone.
    Wow.

It'll be interesting to see if they could extend the Foleo's capabilities to desktops, laptops, and kiosks - so that even without the Foleo, you could just "borrow" the keyboard and monitor to access your smartphone. I had always imagined that smartphones would eventually have video output to large monitors, but this is a more practical solution. Security would be an issue, but not unsolvable.

I think RIM will cooperate with Palm. It's in their interest to make Blackberries more functional, and they don't have anything like a laptop that competes with the Foleo. I doubt Apple will play along; it's just not in their DNA.
    Originally Posted by worthb
    The Foleo defines a new user interface for Palm, streamlined and simplistic, in true Palm fashion, but not limited as in the past by PDA or smartphone screensize. Not just a user interface, but a whole new OS. The UI, apps, and data can all be hosted by the phone and exported to the Foleo, but it doesn't stop there. When you sit at your desktop pc, or open up your laptop, or walk up to a kiosk or even an atm machine, you can have full access to the apps and data on your phone. THIS is Hawkins dream, the computer is in your pocket and goes with you everywhere. How you access it is where it is going to get fun.
    After absolutely not believing the Foleo was Palms next great thing, I'm starting to understand how someday this may be how things work. I'm more inclined to think that most people will end up trusting MS, Google, Yahoo, or Apple servers with their personal information rather than buying into the computer/server in their pocket theory though. After all, that server in their pocket is going to try very hard to charge them for backups to Palm's servers.

It's still hard to understand the hype and secrecy behind this device. Treo users (who palm must hope will be future foleo owners) certainly would have been happier if they released a treo with a couple of frequently requested features at the same time.
    Last edited by scsanden; 06/03/2007 at 09:38 AM.