1.    #1  
    Since Mr Hawkins calls it a companion to a treo / smartphone. I hope they implement the idea completely. I mean, The foleo and treo automatically sync everything, including both database and program history and status. and in some case, they'd better work together and switch seamlessly. Here I present a few examples:

1) Phone and PIM. Foleo and treo sync PIM data and especially call log. They'd better provide a built-in 'Journal' function to view and track all event/call/message/email related to a person, at least on Foleo.
    2) Documents, PDFs or eBooks. If I am reading the 78th page of a book or doc on foleo. After I close foleo and power on treo, the treo should automatically open the same program and scroll to the same page, or vice versa.
    3) For IM. If I am IMing with a friend on foleo, when I close foleo and switch on treo, the IM session should not be interrupted and I can continue to chat. No log-in again, no message lost. Foleo and treo should both keep and sync all IM history record. This could be implemented if the network connection is proxied by treo.
    4) For SMS/MMS. If I am working on foleo and a SMS/MMS arrived. The treo should not ring and a alarm should pop up on foleo. I can view and reply this message on foleo.
    5) For multimedia, the playlist, play count, and ratings should also be synced. If the treo stores the whole media library, and foleo do NOT have enough space, or the library is huge and user don't want to waste time syncing all contents, at least they could sync certain playlist, the way winamp or iTunes does.
    6) For browsing. If I am browsing a few link on foloe, and after I close foleo, open browser on treo. It should open the same page. The browsing history, favorite/bookmarks, log-in password as well as cookies should also be synced.
    7) For note-taking, personal database, album programs and so on, they should also work in such way.

The keyword to differentiate a foleo from a sub-notebook is *SEAMLESS INTEGRATION* with smartphone (or at least treo).

They should keep this in mind and provide an easy-to-use framework for developers to seamlessly integrated two device to work together just like they are ONE.

If they could achieve this, foleo, and Jeff's idea have much better opportunity to survive and succeed in mass market acceptance. If they fail to do so, Foleo is just another Psion Series 7. Even nowadays the demand for internet access is increasing and an open linux-based device has great potential, Foleo is still a product for niche market. Can't compete when low-cost notebook with flash-based storage arrives.
    Last edited by UGlee; 06/02/2007 at 11:48 AM.
    UGlee...

I completely agree with what you on this, and I couldn't have said it better. The Foleo and Treo should practically be two different "windows" (interfaces) to the same set of applications (phone, browser, email etc.) and associated data. That would be the killer.

Maybe that is what the guys at Palm are so excited about.

- mvk
    Game over!
    I'm actually hoping that none of the PIM information is on the Foleo. It should pull that info directly from the Treo. If this is done correctly, you could unpair your treo from it and pull the SD card (or whatever card it has) and hand it to someone else with no fear of any of your information remaining.

I could see hotels having this type of device in their rooms. You the user would have full use and access to your information with no worries for residual data remaining.

I could see smartphones dropping in size. They can simply become a communication conduit and portable harddrive.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I could see hotels having this type of device in their rooms. You the user would have full use and access to your information with no worries for residual data remaining.

Why? most hotels have or are going over to server-type set-ups where the user just has the keyboard and a screen - no physical unit in the room.
    If we are talking about the present, most hotels only provide the WIFI connection, and this is nearly maintenance and administration free for them.

If we are talking 4 years in the future, laptops may not be much smaller, but they will continue to get much lighter and thinner, with solid state drives and OLED screens (imagine a laptop the thickness of an IPhone) that no-one would complain about carrying them around.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I invite to the stage, the world's thinnest laptop. You will not find an anorexic catwalk model skinnier than this powerful computing solution. In fact, the Intel Mobile Metro Notebook -- co-created with Ziba Design -- measures just 0.7 inches and barely moves the needle on the scale at a mere 2.25 pounds.

The prototype laptop hasn't received any official technical specifications yet, but Intel promises that they will fatten her up without actually fattening her up, plopping in their speediest and most efficient components. The chassis is a champagne-toned magnesium, whereas the magnetically attached folder "will be available in different fashion colors." The folder is used to charge the lappy without wires and it looks like it has a secondary color display for the whole Vista Sideshow dance too.

As if that weren't enough, this slender solution will also come with WiFi, EVDO, WiMAX, a flash memory hard drive, and beautiful gold accents. They're even claiming a battery life of, get this, 14 freaking hours. The best part is that the Intel Mobile Metro Notebook could be ready for consumer consumption as early as the end of this year. But it won't be cheap.
    Yes, its going to be expensive, but in two years they will all look like that. Palm market is self-limiting, and they move pretty slowly.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/02/2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Dream on, folks....
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I absolutely believe this is what the device is intended for.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Yes, its going to be expensive, but in two years they will all look like that.
    In two years, there will still be heavy, cheap laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    In two years, there will still be heavy, cheap laptops.
    New heavy cheap laptops? Because even cheap laptops now are a lot thinner and lighter than low-end laptops years ago. They will benefit from technological advances (like all in one motherboards from Intel) just like everyone else.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    New heavy cheap laptops? Because even cheap laptops now are a lot thinner and lighter than low-end laptops years ago. They will benefit from technological advances (like all in one motherboards from Intel) just like everyone else.

Surur
    Thinner laptops require thinner versions of components, such as hard drives (or solid state drives), optical drives, and batteries. These will still cost more than "normal" versions, and so they'll continue to make the thicker laptops for those who are price sensitive. I don't expect all hard drives and optical drives to completely disappear within two years.
    the Foleo (aka TOA) has it's days numbered, just like hybrid hard drives.

The switch to SSD will be fast and furious over the next couple years.