Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  

    http://www.datawind.com/products.html

    ... and it only cost $250 too. Obviously their mistake was to make it too small...

    Surur
  2. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    ... and it only cost $250 too. Obviously their mistake was to make it too small...
    ...and not binary software compatible
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  3. #3  
    Just SMALL contibutes to its failure, think about zaurus...Great concept and design, but the tiny screen makes it a not useful device. Foleo does not have this issue...great for me.
    Palm M100->Sony T615->Palm TT->Treo 180->Treo 650
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

    http://www.datawind.com/products.html

    ... and it only cost $250 too. Obviously their mistake was to make it too small...

    Surur
    It's a web browser with a 5 inch screen and thumb keyboard.
  5. #5  
    Toshiba did Foleo in 1999 already with Libretto 110.

    2 pounds, 8 inch screen and a Pentium I MMX chip. 8 years ago.
  6. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Toshiba did Foleo in 1999 already with Libretto 110.

    2 pounds, 8 inch screen and a Pentium I MMX chip. 8 years ago.
    That didn't hit this price point, however...

    Datawind marketed that product to the real estate industry quite heavily (that's Realtor.com you see on the screen) for the past 2-3 years. It never really gained traction because Realtors were able to do everything this device does on their Treos or WM devices.

    The larger screen and keyboard was the only reason to actually consider this device (which is currently the only reason to purchase a Foleo) -- and that wasn't enough of a reason for a Realtor to buy it. They still needed to run a variety of applications for printing letters and features sheets...for doing the "work" a Realtor has to do. So the Realtor already carried a laptop.

    Again...if you have to carry a full laptop to get "work" done...and you can get most of your work done on a small screened smartphone...I see no reason (or large market) for something like the Foleo. It's just more to carry around.

    If and/or when these devices mature and have the capability to run "real" programs it may have some legs. But, as I've said before, once you give it all those capabilities, isn't it just an altraportable Linux laptop?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  7. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Toshiba did Foleo in 1999 already with Libretto 110.

    2 pounds, 8 inch screen and a Pentium I MMX chip. 8 years ago.
    I owned the Libretto, I knew the Libretto well, the Libretto was a friend of mine. Foolio, you are no Libretto.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    That didn't hit this price point, however...
    And a laptop was twice as much as it is today, your point?
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I owned the Libretto, I knew the Libretto well, the Libretto was a friend of mine. Foolio, you are no Libretto.

    And a laptop was twice as much as it is today, your point?
    One has to wonder, with Moore's law and all, if a company wanted to re-make the Libretto on Win XP, how much would it cost - abut the same as a Folio (or even less)?

    Surur
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    One has to wonder, with Moore's law and all, if a company wanted to re-make the Libretto on Win XP, how much would it cost - abut the same as a Folio (or even less)?

    Surur
    I doubt it. The Libretto was resurrected a couple of years ago. The model U105 cost me $2,100. It's an impressive piece of technology, with a gorgeous screen, DVD-R, wireless, etc., and does everything and the kitchen sink. The only limitation is that the keyboard is too small to touch-type on.

    (It does have the advantage that its small size makes the TSA screeners think it's a DVD player, and I don't have to take it out at the airport... )

    But despite its full feature set, I hardly every carry it. It's just too much of a hassle.

    I've used subnotebooks for years, starting with the Tandy 100 (remember that?) and the Gateway Liberty, but I've never toted any of them on a daily basis. They tend to get carried only when I know I won't have access to a computer, which is pretty rare these days.

    So I really wonder if Foleo buyers will find that they gather dust. For me, I don't think I will carry anything bigger than my old Clie UX50 or my current Treo 755p.
  10. #10  
    datawind = who?

    at least Palm somewhat has a name here in the States.

    and it doesn't do email or document editing, does it?

    Here's a newsflash: in technology, rarely is anything original. It's all based off of existing technology and refined.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    Here's a newsflash: in technology, rarely is anything original. It's all based off of existing technology and refined.
    But to quote Jeff, "It's the best idea I've ever had."
    Foolio me once, shame on you...
  12.    #12  
    Those who do not heed history are doomed to repeat it.

    Surur
  13. emajy's Avatar
    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    #13  
    http://www.opennet.ru/docs/BSD/netbs...jordana720.jpg

    How about an update to a Jordana. Include a cellular modem and an CF/SD slot and away you go. SHould not cost $500. 1/2 VGA but not the size of a laptop. I had something similar to this years ago. Worked great taking notes in class.

    Whats old becomes new again
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    datawind = who?
    We'll be saying the same thing about the Foleo in a couple years too...and Palm in about 5 years.
  15. #15  
    What's happened is that Microsoft will no longer sell you an OS that will run snappily on a Pentium I MMX. Toshiba could bring something like it back into production for a low price and bundle it with a lightweight linux distribution, but standard linux distributions are still not very consumer friendly.

Posting Permissions