Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have said in many threads now that I believe Foleo to have software compatibility with future Treo smartphones. In my opinion this is not wild speculation.

Now to the wild speculation (and I admit this is such):

Suppose that Palm has something like a folding landscape Treo in the pipeline (i.e. opening like the Nokia E90, but a little smaller). (Wasn't somewhere a mention about two new form factors this year?)

Now it would be quite logical to release such a Treo together with Foleo, right? But maybe the Palm execs thought that in such a release all attention would go to the new Treo and Foleo would be totally ignored.

Then they came up with a very different marketing scheme: Let's release the Foleo first. At least it will get some attention and not be totally in the shadow on this new Treo. People will have some time to digest Foleo and ponder why such a device should exist. Then we release the wonderful new Treo and people will realize why there is both a Treo and a Foleo.

Was it too far fetched or could it happen?
    Wouldn't that negate any reason for getting a Foleo?

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That's a bit like saying in a land where people walked, and carried stuff on their backs, someone thinks up the horse and cart. Instead of releasing the horse first (a beast people could at least ride), he launches the cart first, something on it's own, pretty damn useless. Just so they could get used to it.

No-one would be so dumb, surely?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    It would not mean that Foleo is useless. It would just mean that the full picture will unfold later...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    It would not mean that Foleo is useless. It would just mean that the full picture will unfold later...
    What a great piece of marketing!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Full functionality in the future!

is not a marketing slogan I'd try and use...
    Full functionality in the future is what we all hope for from palm products anyway! Anyone remember BT DUN and NVFS debacle on the 650? Lately i've seen a lot less full functionality in the future and more full functionality that you want now, in next years product- but by the way, next year you'll want more and will have to wait even longer for it...

ps- tirk- AMAZING analogy...

ps again-
    using tirk's analogy- even if they just gave me the cart, i might buy it for the right price cause at least i can use it to store stuff... that said- i'd buy the foleo if it was $100, $200, maybe $250... but i find it hard to believe, like everyone else, that they expect us to pay $600 for it, on top of $600+ for the phone already and not ponder why we didn't just get a laptop with a data card instead.
    If the folio had a touchscreen- i'd be all over that sucker... i need a touchscreen tablet but i don't want to spend an arm and a leg because most tablets don't have enough horsepower for me to use as an everyday laptop- and i can't justify buying 2 laptops... but if it's only a mini-lap with linux with an eraserhead mouse- i've already got that in my ibm thinkpad.
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 06/02/2007 at 07:29 AM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)