Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    as far as I know the Foleo depends upon the treos DUN for internet when outside of Wifi range. I suspect many people will be surprised when they start going over their minutes because they have the basic data plan from sprint. As far as I know, again, the DUN is like making a phone call and uses up your minutes. That can get expensive very quickly.

So although in Jeff Hawkins' interview on CNET he said with this product they are not tied to carriers - he is just blowing smoke. This product is absolutely tied to carriers - because it depends upon the treo and DUN for email and internet.

Anyone else encountered this on their sprint data plan? I use a lot of minutes on the phone and heavily used DUN for a month and went over and had like $50 in extra charges.

I guess this would be solved with the DUN plan from Sprint $40 or so. That adds a different picture to the Foleo - now it's $600 + (12mo($40) or $480/year). So does anyone think their email and internet on a laptop is worth an additional $480/year on top of the $600 foleo price?

I guarantee you that if the foleo is to succeed it WILL be a carrier subsidized product - that is somehow linked with DUN. Hawkins is trying to play both sides of the fence - blame carriers for bad products, then create a product he know has no chance to succeed without carrier cooperation.
    I don't think that using DUN goes against your voice minutes. I have mostly used PdaNet and I know it doesn't.
    I may be wrong here but I think the Foleo just takes whatever website you are on w/your Treo and transfers it to Foleos screen. Thus if you have a 15$ a month data plan for your treo thats all you will pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    I may be wrong here but I think the Foleo just takes whatever website you are on w/your Treo and transfers it to Foleos screen. Thus if you have a 15$ a month data plan for your treo thats all you will pay.
    Wow you're both wrong. There isn't a device in the world that can display what you see on your Treo Screen on another device through bluetooth...there's not enough bandwidth. I'd look like a slide show.

The only thing that's shared between the devices are the internet connection (DUN) and the email database.

DUN doesn't use minutes, and a there hasn't been a Treo that used minutes for Internet since pre-vision days. I know the Visorphone and early Samsung models did, but did the 180? By the time we got to 300 we were using vision, which doesn't use minutes.

What will probably happen though is that Sprint/Verison/whoever will treat the Foleo like a computer needing DUN capability, which will make you pay for the extra DUN fee. On Sprint that's $40/month just to see email and web on a slightly larger screen. And you can't even do YouTube.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    No, the Foleo would work the same way as a desktop does.

Do not want to use minutes for dial up like access? There are technology specific numbers that you can dial to gain access to your Treo's Data plan.

Something like:
    Dial #777 on Sprint or Verizon to access their 1xRTT or EVDO (dependent on coverage area) network.
    Dial a number like *99***1# (or a similar number) on T-Mobile or at&t to gain access to GPRS/EDGE or UMTS (depending on coverage area and carrier supported technologies).

I am pretty confident that Palm will have these either pre-programmed into the device, or they will have a wizard that will create a connection with the proper information.

The roadblock: Some carriers (such as Verizon and I believe Sprint) require you to get a separate account for tethering. There are hacks to break this requirement (I expect the MR for the 700p to break the hacks).

There is also the option to do what I do on Verizon. Dial into AT&T WorldNet and use the free 20 hours of dial up that is provided with DSL. I do use minutes, but it currently beats $45/month or a penny or so per kilobyte.

Anyway, this is just logical speculation. I have no info regarding the Foleo beyond what everybody else knows. This seems like the most simple and logical path to be taken. I am sure that once the Foleo is released you will have no issues using your data plan.

EDIT: The *99***1# number may not work on the Treo (I do not know the GSM Treo process). This I believe is actually a Nokia specific number.
    Last edited by dkirker; 06/02/2007 at 12:25 AM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    EDIT: The *99***1# number may not work on the Treo (I do not know the GSM Treo process). This I believe is actually a Nokia specific number.
    This is correct for Cingy GSM devices.

DUN doesn't use minutes. CSD uses minutes
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Wow you're both wrong. There isn't a device in the world that can display what you see on your Treo Screen on another device through bluetooth...there's not enough bandwidth. I'd look like a slide show.

OK so not using bluetooth but what about using your sinc cable from your Treo to the Foleo's USB port?
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    OK so not using bluetooth but what about using your sinc cable from your Treo to the Foleo's USB port?
    Foleo has a stand-alone browser, it won't reflect what is on the Treo.

As far as DUN/PAM (phone as modem) and Sprint, it is too early to say what the deal is e.g whether you'll need the extra plan or not. Just have to wait and see.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I believe Verizon lets you use your minutes for their data services, but only if you choose to.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97 View Post
    I believe Verizon lets you use your minutes for their data services, but only if you choose to.

Joe
    They used to allow this. It was called MOU (it allowed you to dial into their Quick2Net), but they have had this feature turned off for a couple of years now (ever since EVDO).

A few people a grandfathered into this, but Verizon is slowly trying to work them into the newer more expensive data plans.
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    They used to allow this. It was called MOU (it allowed you to dial into their Quick2Net), but they have had this feature turned off for a couple of years now (ever since EVDO).

A few people a grandfathered into this, but Verizon is slowly trying to work them into the newer more expensive data plans.
    I use minutes on Verizon today by dialing up RoadRunner's ISP which is free for cable subscribers. I wasn't grandfathered. It's available to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I use minutes on Verizon today by dialing up RoadRunner's ISP which is free for cable subscribers. I wasn't grandfathered. It's available to anyone.
    That is a bit different than using Verizon's dial in data plan. What you are doing is what I am doing. You are using a different company to connect to the internet.

Both routes (using Verizon as the ISP, or another company) make a standard phone call. The only difference is Verizon no longer offers its dial-in ISP service (unless you are grandfathered in, which few are and Verizon is trying to push them off).

The alternate (for those who can no longer subscribe to Verizon's MOU and do not want to pay $45/month for data) option is to do what you and I do (I dial into AT&T WorldNet, see my previous post).
    Did you know:

Good thread ...

Cingular tethering is no extra cost and is treated the same as data to the smartfone. Now, VZW requires an extra fee for tethering at one time. Also, what about all those VZW 650s with crippled BT DUN. Ugggh.
    Patrick Horne
    T-Mobile's mobile internet is $29.99/mo. for unlimited data, and includes T-Mobile Hot Spot (wifi) coverage. I have used the Hot Spot wifi with my laptop, not using my Treo at all, and was just fine. I use 10's to 100's of MB per month on my data plan with no overage charges... I'm just limited to GPRS/Edge on my Unlocked 680 right now. Since there is a linux gotomypc viewer, I think my laptop will be permanently home when the Foleo comes out.
    Actually, I think T-Mobile's combined WiFi/phone data plan would work well for the Foleo.
    Did you know:

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Verizon does not allow using your Treo for DUN over BT that easy. You have to pay extra a month ($15) to be able to do it without "penalties", and then you have to install special software sanctioned by them. It will be interesting how this pans out once the Stupideo hits the strees and angry users call Verizon CS with nasty charges and/or sudden cancellations. Or perhaps the Fooleo comes with a PRC file to enable functionality with the Treo?
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Yes. That is true.

Currently (I don't know how the MR will affect this) the extra $15/month fee can be circumvented with the Treo DUN hack, but (there is always one, sadly) the 4GB/month bandwidth limit still exists (I think the extra $15/month may waive this??).

You don't have to install any extra software on the computer side, if you know how to enter the settings. Verizon includes a utility to make things simple.

If I did pay for Verizon's data then I would go for the hack since I probably wouldn't need more than 4GB/month bandwidth. Otherwise I will continue to use dial-up through the Treo (yeah, I do intend on getting a Foleo, got a few good ideas up my sleeve ).
    Did you know:

Regarding the platforms for the Foleo, as I note on my blog www.foleos.net, Hawkins has said he will eventually be able to support as many platforms as possible, including Blackberry's and (even?) iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by foleo View Post
    ... Hawkins has said he will eventually be able to support as many platforms as possible, including Blackberry's and (even?) iPhone.
    How can Palm support other companies' devices when they can't even support their own devices?!?!?!?
    As stated on Palm's site, fooleo will require the user to purchase an "extra" plan to use the internet on the fooleo through the treo. Palm will not "shoot" themselves in the foot and offer something to basically "hack" into verizon's or sprint's network. I believe pdanet will release something to help out users though.

I also believe those willing to drop $500 for a device such as this, won't have an issue with paying the extra cash a month for the net. Some reason, I think us (read: me) cheap people will think: wow, I can get a decent dual-core laptop at circuit city (during holiday sale) for $649... uhhh.... why would I get the fooleo?

01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast