Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    Am I missing something here? For $549 you can get a half decent Dell laptop:

    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...npcfav&x=7&y=8

    Dell SB has Inspiron 640m laptop (identical to E1405 in Dell Home) for $549, available with Windows XP Home or Windows Vista Home Basic.

    Specs:

    * Intel Pentium dual-core T2080(1MB Cache/1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)
    * Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic Or Windows XP Home
    * 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA Display 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
    * 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    * 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    * Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    * Dell Wireless 1390 Mini Card (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)
    * Integrated Audio
    * 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    * 1 Yr Ltd Warranty, 1 Yr Mail-in Service, and 1 Yr Tech Support
    * Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

    Upgrades to consider:

    * Intel Core DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) [add $40]
    * 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA TFT Display with TrueLife(glossy) add $0
  2. #2  
    Yes, you're missing something.
  3. #3  
    Maybe because Dells suck?

    Screw that, might as well get the laptop for $399 (no rebate required) that I linked to at Best Buy all over the place here a few days ago.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Yes, you're missing something.
    And that something is....?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    And that something is....?
    Hints...

    Is that $549 laptop ultra-portable (10.55" x 6.67" x .94" and weighs less than 2.5 pounds), instant on, low power, solid state? Does it conform to the 80/20 rule?. Do most users need a full fledged general purpose PC and bloated desktop OS to do their most common tasks such as email, web browsing, document viewing?
  6. #6  
    what you're missing is that:
    1) that best buy wouldn't stock those ultra-thin-or-light notebooks a little farther down the aisle unless there were customers who preferred them,
    2) plenty of customers prefer the smaller ones enough to pay a lot more $$$,
    3) a lot of people like email & web browsing, but hate PC's and all their problems.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    And that something is....?
    There are about 10 other threads on this page asking about the same question. (No we don't why either.)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Hints...

    Is that $549 laptop ultra-portable (10.55" x 6.67" x .94" and weighs less than 2.5 pounds), instant on, low power, solid state? Does it conform to the 80/20 rule?. Do most users need a full fledged general purpose PC and bloated desktop OS to do their most common tasks such as email, web browsing, document viewing?
    Apparently they do. The web of 10 years ago this thing would've handled fine, but if you include everything that web browsing today entails (Heavy Flash content and YouTube included) you need a laptop cuz this thing doesn't cut it. Besides, this thing breaks half of the zen of palm rules anyways. It's in no way pocketable.

    If you're really that sick of using a "bloated OS" just get rid of Windows and install Ubuntu or whatever flavor of Linux you want on your laptop. Problem solved.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Hints...

    Is that $549 laptop ultra-portable (10.55" x 6.67" x .94" and weighs less than 2.5 pounds), instant on, low power, solid state? Does it conform to the 80/20 rule?. Do most users need a full fledged general purpose PC and bloated desktop OS to do their most common tasks such as email, web browsing, document viewing?
    Balllistic is right. Before trying to just "spec compare" the Foleo, realize that it is neither a lagtop, nor a UMPC, nor a PDA. It truly is a completely different animal. Just watch the flash demo over at Palm.com or the YouTube vids showing the device in action. No PC ever acted that way! None.

    It's taken me several hours of thot since the G-mail leak to get a grasp of what this thing is. This has huuuuuuuuuge future possibilities for a whole category of folks who are sick and tired of of the exhausting "dip switch" world of difficult computing. Foleo as introduced is a beginning, not an end.

    Give Hawkins a few days of thot on the bigger picture here. Afterall the guy has 2, yes two, of the top 50 greatest tech inventions under his belt early in one lifetime.

    Can little Palm pull it off? Who knows. But, they certainly can't "feature compete" with smartfones for long with the giants. They must innovate. And yes, they have. Nobody. I mean nobody had a clue this was coming. Nobody has a product designed to do what this does. It aint a laptop.

    Watch the demo of it in action, and just take a nanosecond to envision your entire computing world operating that way. Wow! Foleo seems to be trying to do a few functions right to begin with, while laying a wide field for future development.

    I too am disappointed that we didn't get a killer featured device in the PDA or S/F category iPhone killer. But really deep inside I know Palm (and the platform) cannot currently stay afloat long by attempting such in what is soon to commoditize.

    Time will tell if it's Foleo or Polio. :-)
    Patrick Horne
  10. #10  
    Compared to the faileo, I would rather get the Kohjinsha SA1.

    http://www.dynamism.com/sa1/main.shtml

    It's selling for in Singapore for S$1050 (~US$686) for the 40GB model.
    Dark Lord of the Sith...
    Fear is My Ally...

    http://www.ppcsg.com
    http://www.spug.net
  11. #11  
    It is nonsense to compare foleo with a full-fledged notebook. Foleo is target at a quite different market segment. If one think a notebook is better than a foleo, then foleo of course is not for him.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by helio View Post
    It is nonsense to compare foleo with a full-fledged notebook. Foleo is target at a quite different market segment. If one think a notebook is better than a foleo, then foleo of course is not for him.
    So if you have an ounce of reason the Foleo is not for you?

    Surur
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    So if you have an ounce of reason the Foleo is not for you?

    Surur
    So a car is better than a bike? Obviously it depends on situation you use them.
    Palm M100->Sony T615->Palm TT->Treo 180->Treo 650
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by helio View Post
    So a car is better than a bike? Obviously it depends on situation you use them.
    Actually the analogy that occurs to me is a motorcycle and a side car.

    Palm sells motorcycles. With much fan fare they announce a revolutionary new product that will remake transport forever. It turns out to be a huge side-car. Still a bit smaller than a normal car, and a bit cheaper, but it will solve the problem of brining home groceries from the supermarket. They expect the market will lap it up, and not only will most existing bike users buy one, they expect people will give up their cars to buy a bike and side-car (which incidentally costs more than a car put together).

    Yes, I can really see this business model working...



    Surur
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    So if you have an ounce of reason the Foleo is not for you?

    Surur
    LOL! First laugh of the morning and it's almost always because of you...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually the analogy that occurs to me is a motorcycle and a side car.

    Palm sells motorcycles. With much fan fare they announce a revolutionary new product that will remake transport forever. It turns out to be a huge side-car. Still a bit smaller than a normal car, and a bit cheaper, but it will solve the problem of brining home groceries from the supermarket. They expect the market will lap it up, and not only will most existing bike users buy one, they expect people will give up their cars to buy a bike and side-car (which incidentally costs more than a car put together).

    Yes, I can really see this business model working...



    Surur
    Man, that was quite a stretch of an analogy to use that silly photo.

    I guess you haven't read that Bill Gates shares a similar vision with Jeff Hawkins. He said in 5 years he expects the following:

    For mobile computing you will have two devices, one a small device that fits in your pocket that does voice, media, navigation , and the other a device with a large screen and full size keyboard.

    I think we can all agree that Gates and Hawkins see the smartphone as that device in your pocket.

    As far as the second device, Gates is a big proponent of the Tablet PC. He has a lot invested in his bloated OS and general purpose computing, but a significant number of people are frustrated with the cost, complexity, size, and power requirements of trying to cram all of this general purpose desktop OS and software onto a mobile device that is instant on, small, light, affordable, and easy to operate and maintain.

    Jeff Hawkins thinks he and Palm can do a better job implementing that large screen, full keyboard device by building it from the ground up to be mobile: Low cost, small, lightweight, low power, with an OS and GUI designed for the mobile experience and the most common mobile tasks, and exploiting that first device that's in your pocket.

    From the C|Net article "The Best Idea Jeff Hawkins Ever Had":

    There is no initial customer for (ultramobile PCs). It's like a little broken PC. Who wants that? Very few people. And you are going to see that some people will like it, but not many. Just miniaturizing something isn't the right solution. The first time I learned this lesson was the IBM PC Jr. in 1985. IBM came out with this consumer version of the PC. It was a total flop. They just tried to make it smaller, make it cheaper. No one wanted it. Everyone wanted something better. It's not about just shrinking things and reducing things. You have to find somebody (for whom) this is a step up.
    I'm sorry, if you can't see how this is a paradigm shift for a "Post-PC" era and that Palm doesn't want to rely on any other company to control this second device that most people will carry for mobile computing, then you really don't understand the big picture and are still thinking inside the box.

    I'm not saying Palm is guaranteed to succeed, but I think Jeff Hawkins is correct in his vision and strategy, and he has an impressive track record.

    Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 06/02/2007 at 06:53 AM.
  17. #17  
    From Jeff Hawkins's Oral History (page 34, warning-PDF Link):

    I really dislike Windows software. I really think it’s a disservice in many ways; the way the industry’s turned out is unfortunate. And there’s a theme in my life, by the way, which I really want to correct this. I want to correct- underlying a lot of this, besides the brain work, another theme (maybe this is one of the questions we get to at the end here) is really how do you make personal computers that are better and useful for a larger audience.
    If the vast majority of existing ultra-mobile PCs run Windows software, and that second larger screen, full keyboard device will be one of two mobile devices carried by a large audience in the future, why wouldn't Palm take on this market on its own?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Man, that was quite a stretch of an analogy to use that silly photo.

    I guess you haven't read that Bill Gates shares a similar vision with Jeff Hawkins. He said in 5 years he expects the following:

    For mobile computing you will have two devices, one a small device that fits in your pocket that does voice, media, navigation , and the other a device with a large screen and full size keyboard.

    I think we can all agree that Gates and Hawkins see the smartphone as that device in your pocket.

    As far as the second device, Gates is a big proponent of the Tablet PC. He has a lot invested in his bloated OS and general purpose computing, but a significant number of people are frustrated with the cost, complexity, size, and power requirements of trying to cram all of this general purpose desktop OS and software onto a mobile device that is instant on, small, light, affordable, and easy to operate and maintain.

    Jeff Hawkins thinks he and Palm can do a better job implementing that large screen, full keyboard device by building it from the ground up to be mobile: Low cost, small, lightweight, low power, with an OS and GUI designed for the mobile experience and the most common mobile tasks, and exploiting that first device that's in your pocket.

    From the C|Net article "The Best Idea Jeff Hawkins Ever Had":



    I'm sorry, if you can't see how this is a paradigm shift for a "Post-PC" era and that Palm doesn't want to rely on any other company to control this second device that most people will carry for mobile computing, then you really don't understand the big picture and are still thinking inside the box.

    I'm not saying Palm is guaranteed to succeed, but I think Jeff Hawkins is correct in his vision and strategy, and he has an impressive track record.

    Brian
    Dang I like this post. You hit it right on. Echos a thought that I just posted a few min ago.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  19.    #19  
    Okay, I saw the Flash. I can see a market for this type of device, but will that market be large enough to sustain success? I think the drawback of the Foleo is it's limited memory, inability to play video and it's dependence on a separate device. It seems to me that a notebook or laptop is worth paying more for to have these features, but perhaps there are some who will be happy with the Foleo.

    Time will surely tell...
  20. #20  
    So basically Jeff always thought he could do a better Windows. The Foleo will run smack into the 80:20 problem. It will solve 80% of peoples problems, but will leave a varied 20% that is different for each person which it just wont be able to cover with its limited feature set, both in hardware and software.

    He is basically launching a new platform with pretty limited resources, joining Pepper pad etc. I dont rate his chances.

    Surur
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions