Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    This Foleo? He definitely doesn't think that.
    And the next Foleo, and the one after? We know its his ambition, so when will the Foleo grow up into a proper laptop?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Profitable at what cost? They have been slowly killing the company, by starving it of R&D and product development.

Surur
    Profitable at what cost? Hilarious.... Palm's health as a profitable company in this market is pretty impressive when you look at all of their numbers. Market share isn't everything. Ask Apple.

As far as R&D goes, I strongly suspect and am confident their investment in R&D is paying off and more new devices with new form factors, WiFi, GPS, and services in the cloud are in the pipeline.
    And the next Foleo, and the one after? We know its his ambition, so when will the Foleo grow up into a proper laptop?

Surur
    Depends on what you mean by "proper laptop." I doubt it'll ever have an optical drive. Physical media is so 2006.
  4.    #44  
    This Foleo? He definitely doesn't think that.
    Yes he does. Listen to his speech after the Flash presentation. He mentioned this becoming a substitute for a PC. Surely that's not going to happen with this version of the Foleo, but future models may be more versed.

I don't think the Foleo will fly well unless they drop the price below $299. The current price point of $499 is just too close to that of a laptop in which you can install Linux or Windows. Or you could buy a used Macbook if you're willing to deal with the compatibility issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Profitable at what cost? Hilarious....

As far as R&D goes, I strongly suspect and am confident their investment in R&D is paying off and more new devices with new form factors, WiFi, GPS, and services in the cloud are in the pipeline.
    Yes, that pipeline, which everyone else has filled already, because they spend on technology innovation and marketing. Palm apparently does not.

RIM has GPS and WIFI, Nokia has GPS and WIFI, HTC has GPS and WIFI, etc. I guess Palm will get to developing these technologies someday...

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by robodude View Post
    Surely that's not going to happen with this version of the Foleo
    That's what I meant by "this Foleo." Surur was complaining about the capabilities of this specific model.
    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9724090-1.html

I owe an apology to my lunch companions at D5. When conversation turned to the Palm Foleo, I said it was a terrible idea. Overpriced, underfeatured, and too close to the well-established laptop market.

That was before I got my hands on one. It took me only a few minutes to develop a desire to get one of these for myself. This is partly because I tried the product while my back was straining from the messenger bag carrying my Thinkpad. The Foleo is tiny and light, yet big enough to hold a full keyboard and a nice screen.

Small, light, and useful. But too expensive.
    (Credit: CNET Networks)

It was also because I was in a rush, and the Foleo powered on instantly when I opened its lid (just like a Palm Pilot is instant-on).

The device does e-mail and it surfs the Web, and not much more. But most of the time, especially when I'm traveling, I don't need anything else.

Downsides: It's still too expensive. At about $500, it's over my personal tech budget for a device that does the same thing that my laptop does. And although it has Wi-Fi, you don't get full functionality unless you pair the device, via Bluetooth, to your mobile phone. This is because the Foleo's e-mail application relies on your mobile phone's e-mail client to feed it; the Wi-Fi connection is used only for Web browsing. Of course, you could use the Foleo for Web e-mail, but over a cellular connection that would be painful.

But I actually think this is great hardware for Webware. It's got problems, but it's a very slick and useful gizmo. I'd buy one if I could afford it.
    That's what I meant by "this Foleo." Surur was complaining about the capabilities of this specific model.
    ... but with the additional point that if this device will ever meet that need it would not be the same kind of device anymore. It will be bigger, more power hungry, and more complicated. His ambition is stupid.

Surur
    Guess what, he says the same thing as everyone else. For such a limited device its much too expensive.

Surur
    Let's explain why I want a Foleo-like device. Currently I have two PDAs: one is Treo650, the other is Sharp Zaurus SL-C760.

Everyday before go to bed and after getting up, I'd like to grap SL-C760 in my bed to have a web surf. You may ask: why not use a notebook?

Reaons:
    1. I have to wait for a while before my notebook booting up. I'd rather not use it since I only need a leisure web surf.
    2. Notebook is heavy on my leg.
    3. Notebook is hot on my bed.
    4. It is noisy when the fan is turned on.
    5. Since the disk is spinning in the notebook, I don't feel good to move it. I don't want ruin my valuable data for a leisure web surf.
    Palm M100->Sony T615->Palm TT->Treo 180->Treo 650
    ... but with the additional point that if this device will ever meet that need it would not be the same kind of device anymore. It will be bigger, more power hungry, and more complicated. His ambition is stupid.

Surur
    What ambition is that? To get .1% of the market?
    Guess what, he says the same thing as everyone else. For such a limited device its much too expensive.

Surur
    That's sure to come down, and it's still much more affordable than a full-fledged ultra-portable PC laptop.
    That's sure to come down, and it's still much more affordable than a full-fledged ultra-portable PC laptop.
    In fact, their margin must be gigantic. There is no advanced technologies in the device, why is it not $250 already?

Surur
    In fact, their margin must be gigantic. There is no advanced technologies in the device, why is it not $250 already?

Surur
    Perhaps they want to stay profitable.
    Perhaps they want to stay profitable.
    Exactly - they cripple their devices with old technology, but still expect people to buy them. This strategy is not working. They are mortgaging their future, and the Palm brand has lost any technology cachet it ever had.

Surur
    I sure wish the Foleo had been put together by HandEra (TRG). The whole discussion about a Windows OS notebook does not get the point. If you want a Windows Notebook, then get one.

I got a Palm in the first place because I could recall information and it was Instant On and it could fit in my pocket. The instant on was more important than fitting in my pocket. Due to what I do sometimes I needed emergency information and did not want to wait for the notebook computer to boot up. Neither did I like going to a meeting and needing to plug in a computer and wait for it to boot up.

Then I found the Palm could do more. Handbase for databases, WordSmith for WORD documents. I found myself saying if only it had a bigger screen. Even the idea of multimedia and web serving was not real intresting because of the size of the screen.

I an disappointed in the Foleo, but I do think it is on the right path. I may not like Windows, but they owen the computer world as we know it. Unless you are an island unto yourself in your reality you are going to have to interact with Windows. So like it or not the device I need will need to beable to handle MS Office documents either by using Open Office or Doc To Go (or someting simular). If the PALM is now on top of Linux, my vote is Open Office (unless that would make Instant On not possible). I also want it to be able to plug into a USB on my desk top computer and be seen a Drive (E, F or whatever). In the best of design the phone would slide into the device. The phone could be used as a phone, as a way for the device to be wireless and with basic PIM synced onto it (some may want more on the phone but I would want a smaller phone that I could still look up calendar dates and phone numbers on).

I would also want to be able to use it as a Tablet. I find Notebook Computers problematic in a meeting. So the whole issue of touch screen and digital ink comes up. But Instant On is a must, even if that means No Tablet, No Touch Screen and No Digital Ink.

To nake it marketable (but not an issue for me) it has to be able to do Multimedia including things like YouTub.

I just have a hard time not beliving that if HandEra had made this thing it would do this stuff now if not 4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Dang I like this post. You hit it right on. Echos a thought that I just posted a few min ago.
    It's nice to see other people are able to grasp the significance of the Foleo and paradigm shift it could represent.
    It's nice to see other people are able to grasp the significance of the Foleo and paradigm shift it could represent.
    Thats another example of how they are actually behind all the hype that the community is now blamed for. Their idea is far from disruptive, and is not shifting any paradigms.

Surur
    Thats another example of how they are actually behind all the hype that the community is now blamed for. Their idea is far from disruptive, and is not shifting any paradigms.

Surur
    Clearly it is very disruptive, which is why so many people can't get their brains around this concept.
    Good discussion thread all!!!

I will still need a full laptop, however. Almost everything I do needs the power of a laptop.

I'll agree that for those who don't need all I do, these types of devices would work for them, without the trouble a laptop brings along with it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast