Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by (lame) Palm Founder Jeff Hawkins
    There is no initial customer for (ultramobile PCs). It's like a little broken PC. Who wants that?
    WTF is he talking about? If an ultramobile is a broken pc, what the hell is the Foleo?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    WTF is he talking about? If an ultramobile is a broken pc, what the hell is the Foleo?
    Yea Hawkins also said this about Foleo:

That's how you sell your first 100,000 or 200,000 or 300,000 or whatever it is. Very quickly,
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Yea Hawkins also said this about Foleo:

That's how you sell your first 100,000 or 200,000 or 300,000 or whatever it is. Very quickly,
    He's delusional. The initial consensus is this is a lame product. Compare that to the reviews of the iPhone, Blackjack or Q when they were introduced.
    Last edited by Postal; 06/01/2007 at 09:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Two things have been bugging me about his comparisons with the original Pilot, too...

1) He claims that many people laughed it off and said there was no market for it.

As far as I know, this is TOTAL BS. I remember EVERYONE who saw it drooling and getting major techno-boners for the thing.

2) He claims that this was something totally revoltionary at the time. Again...this is TOTAL BS. There were all kinds of pocket organizers and PDAs out there. Graffiti was the "revolution". It allowed you to learn a simple set of symbols and write nearly as fast on the Pilot as you could on paper...but store it electronically. In this CNet interview he also claims that they were trying to make a "personal computer" but just sold it as an organizer at first. I say "WHATEVER" to that. I think the thing got hacked and upgraded enough so that smarter people than they were able to actually develop some nice applications for the original platform and they decided to see what they could do to expand on it...but I'm very skeptical that they were planning it all along...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Two things have been bugging me about his comparisons with the original Pilot, too...

1) He claims that many people laughed it off and said there was no market for it.

As far as I know, this is TOTAL BS. I remember EVERYONE who saw it drooling and getting major techno-boners for the thing.

2) He claims that this was something totally revoltionary at the time. Again...this is TOTAL BS. There were all kinds of pocket organizers and PDAs out there. Graffiti was the "revolution". It allowed you to learn a simple set of symbols and write nearly as fast on the Pilot as you could on paper...but store it electronically. In this CNet interview he also claims that they were trying to make a "personal computer" but just sold it as an organizer at first. I say "WHATEVER" to that. I think the thing got hacked and upgraded enough so that smarter people than they were able to actually develop some nice applications for the original platform and they decided to see what they could do to expand on it...but I'm very skeptical that they were planning it all along...
    Revisionist history to soothe his bruised ego.

Techno-*****.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    In this CNet interview he also claims that they were trying to make a "personal computer" but just sold it as an organizer at first.
    You know in science many of the great discoveries happen by accident. Apparently the same thing happened here.
    The thing that gets me is how lucky he was and doesn't seem to realize it. The fact that he and Palm ended up making an organizer while other manufacturers created Handheld Computer devices that failed should have made him think, "Boy were we lucky we ended up with an organizer rather than a handheld computer!" and move on with what the market wanted, ie. HAND held organizers.
    This brings us to the present. Despite years of these devices failing Hawkins kept having an itch he needed to scratch and it ended up in this form.
    The problem is two fold.
    1. He jumped the gun as I'm not aware of any smartphone that has all the capabilities he claims we need this device to compensate.
    2. It runs against the portable grain having to use a device so large

I'm not so knocking it as understand it's purpose, but alas Hawkins creation of this device created a paradox as the comment he made about wanting to create a small computer and then creating the Foleo run contrary to everything else he and Palm have been telling us; AND seeling us; for years.

As best as I can recall, Go tried and failed at the pen-based computer. Newton got lots of attention, but it ultimately failed as well. Palm struggled for a long while, and there were a lot of people who were sure it was going to fail too.

There were Sharp and Casio type organizers, but I don't think there were any successful pen-based PDAs.

As for the platform, they fostered the developer community. You don't need to do that if the device is going to do only PIM.