Foleo: Bluetooth, WiFi
    OLPC: WiFi(G)

Expansion
    Foleo: SD/Compact Flash
    OLPC: SD

Price
    Foleo: $599
    OLPC: $140
    Last edited by areyouwishing; 06/01/2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Foleo:
    - runs the same software as your smartphone that you always carry
    - has a good full pc-like keyboard
    - has a 10" screen

OLPC:
    - does not run the same software as your smartphone
    - has a rubber-membrane keyboard that is worse than the one in your pc
    - has a 7.5" screen

This is the comparison if we follow Jeff's vision.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Foleo:
    - has a 10" screen

OLPC:
    - has a 7.5" screen

Linux is linux, and my smartphone does not run linux.

The point of this is the palm underperformed with the capabilities of their new $600 device.
    OLPC does not run Fedora Core 6. It runs a variant of Linux BASED on Fedora.

OLPC has absolutely ZERO support once you've bought it. You're on your own. No warranty. No software support. Nada. Nothing. Zip.

OLPC is available @ ~$140 per unit with shipments of ONE MILLION UNITS. So... good try with the price

Foleo doesn't run "homebrew" Linux, whatever that means. Linux is inherently "homebrew" to begin with, but I don't really see how you can call a commercially developed Linux variant "homebrew". And if it's running the PalmOS compatibility layer we're hoping it will... it will be great

Not saying the OLPC isn't neat, but honestly... nobody is going to actually use one other than to tinker with. The Foleo on the other hand looks very refined and could be fun... if you have $500 to blow.
    Also, the parts for the OLPC project are being subsidized. Many of the internal components are being sold for cost, or very close to cost in order to make that $140 per unit price. Try getting a price like that for something other than a charitable effort such as the OLPC project, and the chipmakers will just laugh in your face.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    It's a bit like comparing the price of a HP PC at your local computer store against the price a multi billion $ corporate gets a Dell PC for and stating HP's are way overpriced compared with Dell
    okay, this thread gets 3 frowny faces for using "pwned", which is the lamest, nerd vernacular
    :-( :-( :-(

2nd, isn't the OLPC also not-for-profit? I mean, Palm is a business afterall.

3rd, you can't buy an OLPC so the point is moot.

4th, even if you could I'd beat you up on the street for using a kiddie computer

5th, the price is actually $175 and that's contingent upon them having an order for at least 250,000 of them which you know, helps keep the cost down knowing you have that munch bank.

Offer to buy from Palm 250,000 Foleo's. I bet they'll cut you a deal for a bulk order.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Neither the OLPC nor the Foleo are currently on sale to individuals. So they are both vapor until joe user can plunk down his CC and get one unit (not a million) shipped the next day or so. Furthermore the OLPC is fugly looking, whereas the Foleo looks like something a business professional would carry without being embarrassed. The super hi-res (near 200 dpi) display on the OLPC is more suitable for kids than for many older adults who could use fonts larger in absolute dimensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by areyouwishing View Post
    Screen
    Foleo: 1024x600 at 10"
    OLPC: 1200x900 at 7.5"
    You are also conveniently missing something about the screen:

"the usable resolution in colour mode is closer to 400x300 than 1200x900"

OLPC screen is clever, but very odd (source)

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Foleo:
    - has a 10" screen

OLPC:
    - has a 7.5" screen

ttcoupe: You've said it elsewhere...why do you keep saying it will run the same software as your smartphone? I've heard nothing of the sort. It will simply SYNC with your smartphone. It's like saying that Windows Media 5 runs Outlook. It doesn't. It runs POCKET OUTLOOK that syncs some of the data from your Outlook database to your mobile device.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but Foleo "aps" are Foleo aps...not TREO aps. There will simply be some software conduits that let the info move back and forth. You may see software with the same name on each device...and probably in future even seen packages that include both the Foleo and Treo versions together as one...but the Foleo is a completely different operating system and a completely separate set of applications...is it not?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    ttcoupe: You've said it elsewhere...why do you keep saying it will run the same software as your smartphone? I've heard nothing of the sort. It will simply SYNC with your smartphone. It's like saying that Windows Media 5 runs Outlook. It doesn't. It runs POCKET OUTLOOK that syncs some of the data from your Outlook database to your mobile device.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but Foleo "aps" are Foleo aps...not TREO aps. There will simply be some software conduits that let the info move back and forth. You may see software with the same name on each device...and probably in future even seen packages that include both the Foleo and Treo versions together as one...but the Foleo is a completely different operating system and a completely separate set of applications...is it not?
    Well, b/c it's fairly well established that the next Treo will run the same OS as the Foleo: Palm Linux.

That's fairly convenient, imo. The tie ins are fairly unlimited. Imagine running the same software, same setup on both devices, synced up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, b/c it's fairly well established that the next Treo will run the same OS as the Foleo: Palm Linux.

That's fairly convenient, imo. The tie ins are fairly unlimited. Imagine running the same software, same setup on both devices, synced up all the time.
    That wont help much when the Treo is running WM, or this device is used with the IPhone.

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

That's true...but the Foleo was being demoed with a current generation Treo if I'm not mistaken? So it's rather platform independent as far as it's companion is concerned, is it not? I thought this puppy was giong to work with a variety of different smartphones...not just Treo. That would suggest it would have be more synced based than application based....
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    That wont help much when the Treo is running WM, or this device is used with the IPhone.

Surur
    Um, yeah...what he said. And he did it in once sentence.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    That is one of the reasons why Palm is not advertising the software compatibility at this point.

Think of a possible current situation that you have a Windows laptop and a WM or a Palm OS smartphone. To some degree they work together (like Foleo and a WM smartphone) but wouldn't it be wonderful if both would run the same software (like Foleo and a Palm Linux smartphone)?
    As far as we know, Foleo doesn't include the Garnet compatibility layer that the upcoming Treo OS will have.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As far as we know, Foleo doesn't include the Garnet compatibility layer that the upcoming Treo OS will have.
    This means that Foleo does not run OLD Palm OS applications, right?

Still it is possible that Foleo and future Palm OS smartphones will have software compatibility. Right? By this I mean that by default, a new Palm Linux application would work both in Foleo and in a Palm Linux smartphone.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    This means that Foleo does not run OLD Palm OS applications, right?

Still it is possible that Foleo and future Palm OS smartphones will have software compatibility. Right? By this I mean that by default, a new Palm Linux application would work both in Foleo and in a Palm Linux smartphone.
    So I should buy a Foleo because a future smartphone (that I'll have to buy) possibly will be compatible (software or binary? You're confusing me now!)

I may just pass on that offer, thanks.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    So I should buy a Foleo because a future smartphone (that I'll have to buy) possibly will be compatible (software or binary? You're confusing me now!)
    No you shouldn't. If you don't need a Foleo, don't buy one.
    2nd, isn't the OLPC also not-for-profit? I mean, Palm is a business afterall.
    This is the first thing that came to my mind. Granted, I think the Foleo is a bit overpriced, but it is a first gen product and they need to recoup some money without totally relying on their Treo business.

The OLPC is meant as a practical "give-away" do developing countries.

Heck, the "cost" of a Firewire cable is $1.29, but a consumer gets charged $30...
    Last edited by chadman; 06/03/2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: I messed up the quote tags :)
    Thanks,

Chad Garrett
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast