Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Posted by: LouC | May 31, 2007 at 03:12 AM

All I can say is... well nothing.. this is supposed to be innovation?? All it is, well to me at least, is a wireless thin client?? Instant on?? mt Treo is instant on Why is this so innovative...?? Syncing with e-mail?? My Treo does this (when it is working properly) Keyboard?? I can get a bluetooth keybard for my Treo... oh wait my blue tooth doesn't work properly so you have me there.... ...
    About the only thing innovative about the Folio is the fact that is uses Linux as an OS... At least it will not crash (I hope)...
    LOL... just wanted to share and didn;t want this gem to get buried in another thread!

for more humor please go here
    Last edited by alpinadvl; 06/01/2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: corrected the real poster ! thanks for the correction
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john
    Congratulations, Palm, on having the foresight and courage to identify a market need like this and build a product around it. As evidenced by the many negative comments before the Foleo was even shown, many people just don't get it. But paper specs do not a functional product make. This instant-on, fast-typing "companion" is exactly what I've been looking for. I suspect a great many non-geek business folks will see the light clearly as well. As for the geeks amongst us, the icing on the cake is the Linux command prompt seen during the presentation. I see the Foleo line as having a bright future.
    Why just share the negative?
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinadvl View Post
    LOL... just wanted to share and didn;t want this gem to get buried in another thread!

for more humor please go here
    Hey that was my post...not KultiVator the name of the poster is below the blog entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimn367 View Post
    Why just share the negative?
    Does that imply that there are positive, non-Palm employee posts?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    You know - I get the whole it's not what I was expecting thing, but why the hate before you buy attitude from everyone.

This has always been the case - even going back to the ole PDABUzz days. New Palms always got/get bashed because it was/is never enough. It's like there are all these public Palm haters, that still have Palms in the closet.

Every device since the Palm V, (with the possible exception of the T3) has just been hated - and yet it sells.

Just because it is not what you want or was expecting makes it bad or Palm a bunch -o- rubes
    You know - I get the whole it's not what I was expecting thing, but why the hate before you buy attitude from everyone.

This has always been the case - even going back to the ole PDABUzz days. New Palms always got/get bashed because it was/is never enough. It's like there are all these public Palm haters, that still have Palms in the closet.

Every device since the Palm V, (with the possible exception of the T3) has just been hated - and yet it sells.

Just because it is not what you want or was expecting makes it bad or Palm a bunch -o- rubes
    I think the problem is that Palm was touting it a "Revolutionary"... so when I hear that I expect something that has a lot of WOW factor... this I just went WTF good is that thing...

If you say it has lots of chrome it better have lots of chrome...

Having said that I think the MAJOR problem is that Palm is pushing it as a "bigger screen and keyboard so you can read and send e-mails"... um sorry $500 to read and send e-mail on top of the Smartphone?? They could have at least made it have all of the apps in Paml Desktop + Open office + MP3/Video player + Plenty of storage... really not that much if you think of it...
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Short of a "flexible, holographic e-ink display" or "runs on cow methane extracted from the atmosphere" what has been 'revolutionary' for years?
    what has been 'revolutionary' for years?
    So true... I have been disappointed more in the past years than I can remember. Hell if you actually think of what was supposed to happen prior to the turn of the centry as far as technological advancement, it is all a disappointment...
    I was listening the the TreoCentral treocast earlier today, and listening to their seemingly realistic predictions (around 20-25 minutes) (WiMax or EVDO Rev A, GPS, hard drive, separate folding touch screen) of a revolutionary device and comparing it with the reality of the Foleo the difference is rather stark. They were thinking cutting edge, and Palm was thinking yesteryear.

Surur
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I was listening the the TreoCentral treocast earlier today, and listening to their seemingly realistic predictions (WiMax, GPS, hard drive, separate screen) of a revolutionary device and comparing it with the reality of the Foleo the difference is rather stark. They were thinking cutting edge, and Palm was thinking yesteryear.
    Some new things could appear in the pocketable product lines of Palm, i.e. the Treo line and the PDA line.

Foleo product line is something that the owner of some pocketable device needs in addition to the pocketable device. This means full keyboard and larger screen. It also happens that the Foleo product line runs the same applications as the pocketable device, which is a unique offering by Palm. There is currently no competition.

Palm vision says that there is no need for a product that whose size is between Treo and Foleo. Such thing would not be pocketable and would not provide enough benefits for the owner of a pocketable device.

Separate folding screen could be nice, but how many such products exists?
  11.    #11  
    The disappointment is really the driving force for the negativity, but you have to put it into context :

1. Most of these people really like palm passionately

2. The device was being touted as "revolutionary" - which without a doubt it isn;t

3. It is priced at $500.... which is $300 too high for what it CURRENTLY does

4. Palm has ignored what the users amongst us have really been clamoring for. A new Treo concept. Not a companion

5. Palm has been coming out with "new" treos which aren't really "new"... and in some cases (700p) are crippled at birth (also include 680 battery life in that mix) - without any soution / MR as promised.

6. Basically the dsappointment stems collectively from these things.
    The Foleo "might" have some sales, and maybe we don;t have the "big picture" because it hasn't been laid out by Hawkins for us.... for example, maybe this laptop-replacement will be running palm os apps in emulation? I dont know if that is enough to get people excited about the device, but at least it makes things a little morei interesting. Maybe what is lost on many of us, is the enterprise utility of this device, but I do not believe those amongst us that have laptops really need a device that is much less functional and whose only selling point is : "instant on" "velvety feel" or whatever other nonsense Hawkins was talking about.

7. The last point, which reflects the first point I made, is that Palm's biggest "selling point" is the community, and the apps available by this community. By ignoring what the community wants or needs now, Hawkins has left us, and therefore his company out to dry, while others step up to the plate such as Blackberry - getting more and more small business and enterprise users, and Apple - who will certianly command the "low end"(by this I mean mobile platform using)/gadget consumer market (myself included).

It is interesting to see posters (myself including)... posting more in the Foleo forum than in any other forum...simply because it is such a "let down" after building such high expectations.

Palm needs check and balances, and they clearly missed the boat on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Foleo product line is something that the owner of some pocketable device needs in addition to the pocketable device.
    Thanks for carrying the Palm Party Line torch here - good thing you joined Treo Central this month so you could shill for your corporation!
    This means full keyboard and larger screen. It also happens that the Foleo product line runs the same applications as the pocketable device, which is a unique offering by Palm. There is currently no competition.
    That's because the "competition" (i.e. Handheld PC class of Windows Mobile) stopped when it was unquestionably determined the market for such devices wasn't big enough to support their production.
    Palm vision says that there is no need for a product that whose size is between Treo and Foleo.
    Yet that same "vision" over-hyped a product class that has repeatedly proven itself to be unsustainable in the marketplace.
    Such thing would not be pocketable and would not provide enough benefits for the owner of a pocketable device.
    So a laptop, capable of running real software, might be in order then?
    Separate folding screen could be nice, but how many such products exists?
    None yet. That would have been revolutionary. You understand revolutionary, right? It's when you come up with something that hasn't been done (10 or 20 times) before - like when the Treo 180 came out. Face it - Palm really messed up. They've gone over 5 years without any real innovation and they expected their (otherwise loyal) customer base to jump in line for the NBT (next big thing). Hah!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thanks for carrying the Palm Party Line torch here - good thing you joined Treo Central this month so you could shill for your corporation!
    That is just so typical for internet discussion boards, to start bashing the opponent's person instead of talking about the issues at hand. I have followed TreoCentral for a long time, but only TODAY felt strong urgency to speak out, as in my opinion people looked Foleo from the wrong perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    None yet. That would have been revolutionary. You understand revolutionary, right? It's when you come up with something that hasn't been done (10 or 20 times) before - like when the Treo 180 came out.
    You are blaming Palm for not bringing out some revolutionary thing and when I explain what is revolutionary about the Foleo, you still claim that it has been done 10 or 20 times. I don't know how to further elaborate my points that I have already said in these threads today.
    I have followed TreoCentral for a long time, but only TODAY felt strong urgency to speak out, as in my opinion people looked Foleo from the wrong perspective.
    I'm sure many of you Palm employees follow TreoCentral (not that you listen to any of the suggestions here ) - I guess Palm changed the company policy to allow you to post in an attempt to drum up some buzz for their mediocre release.

You are blaming Palm for not bringing out some revolutionary thing and when I explain what is revolutionary about the Foleo, you still claim that it has been done 10 or 20 times. I don't know how to further elaborate my points that I have already said in these threads today.
    Bingo! You get it now. In spite of your attempts to explain the "revolutionariness" of the Foleo, Palm's product is completely lost on the vast majority of the folks exposed to it. Folks, mind you, that wanted to believe. Folks that had a penchant to go with whatever Palm says is good. Sorry, even your eloquent explanations of this device are still found wanting - it's been done before, and it's not revolutionary. Time will tell if it's even useful.

2. The device was being touted as "revolutionary" - which without a doubt it isn;t
    Actually, in fairness...can anyone produce a actual quote from Palm or Hawkins which comes close to this statement? B/c I keep hearing this line and I'm wondering if it's a bit of a straw-man?

I'm not saying there isn't but I think the Palm/Tech community built up the "foleo" hype waaay more than Palm did.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote from Hawkins, "This is the best idea I've ever had"

Drugs are bad, M-kay...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    4. Palm has ignored what the users amongst us have really been clamoring for. A new Treo concept. Not a companion

7. The last point, which reflects the first point I made, is that Palm's biggest "selling point" is the community, and the apps available by this community. By ignoring what the community wants or needs now, Hawkins has left us, and therefore his company out to dry, while others step up to the plate such as Blackberry - getting more and more small business and enterprise users, and Apple - who will certianly command the "low end"(by this I mean mobile platform using)/gadget consumer market (myself included).

I'm agasht at the Foleo like most others...but just to be fair, this ISN'T a Treo nor did Hawk claim it was. So in that respect, this criticism is a bit unfounded. Once Palm unveils the next TREO we can all ***** and moan about how they missed the mark...but that's not a fair criticism at this point.

I know...I know...."they used tons of resources on this thing so the Treo stuffered". That's what most people are saying. Thing is, until we actually see a terrible next generation Treo, this is just a guess. Let's rip the Foleo for what it is on it's own (lack of) merit. If the next Treo sucks, then we can add that gripe back into the list of Foleo gripes.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by sideman7 View Post
    Quote from Hawkins, "This is the best idea I've ever had"
    right, but that was from the TC interview after the release (e.g. not a build up to said device) and I'm not sure that exactly equates with calling the Foleo "revolutionary".

Anything else?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    If the next Treo sucks, then we can add that gripe back into the list of Foleo gripes.
    What about the recently released very mediocre Treo 755p?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    right, but that was from the TC interview after the release (e.g. not a build up to said device) and I'm not that exactly equates with calling the Foleo "revolutionary".

Anything else?
    Hawkins could not leave without a tease, and so he explained how the the original Palm and the Treo were revolutionary devices, and how everything else released by Palm were sustaining devices. Now, he claims that Palm is working on a 3rd revolutionary device that will keep the company going over the next half decade.
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1217-1.htm

Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast