1.    #1  
    The photos are originally taken by IfI @ hi-pda.com forum, and the author authorized me to post them anywhere I wish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What say you Mr. Hawkins?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The Vaio is clearly a lot bigger...

Surur
  4.    #4  
    It's bigger, but not a lot bigger. The model no. is VGN-TX16C/W. with dimensions of 10.7 x 7.7 x 0.8 - 1.1 inch, just 1 inch wider than foleo. And it weighs 1.2kg, same as that of foleo.

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The Vaio is clearly a lot bigger...

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by UGlee View Post
    It's bigger, but not a lot bigger. The model no. is VGN-TX16C/W. with dimensions of 10.7 x 7.7 x 0.8 - 1.1 inch, just 1 inch wider than foleo. And it weighs 1.2kg, same as that of foleo.
    The picture is probably not scaled properly, but this is what it looks like when you superimpose them.

Surur
    Physically, the difference is negligible. The sony vaio, in my opinion, is far and beyond the better choice. The price is a bit higher, but you get what you pay for in this case, and as in everything...

http://www.bizrate.com/laptopcompute...7--33305-.html
    Palm isn't saying there aren't computers out there that cost the same or are the same size/weight. Try finding one that is the same price as the Foleo and the same size/weight. Vaios are slick but they are overkill for the 80/20 rule. You're comparing a $2000 ultra-portable Vaio to a $599 Palm Linux OS based ultra-portable.

Comparing the Foleo to Psion and Microsoft Jupiter devices like the IBM WorkPad z50 of years past and saying that those failed so the Foleo will fail too are missing the point. I had an IBM z50, and it closely matches the Foleo's size and weight. Instant on notetaking on the z50 was great. I had a CF WiFi card that I could never get to work.

The Jupiter devices didn't have the built in wireless and email synching capabilities nor the web browsing experience that the Foleo will offer. IE Explorer on that device was horrible, and the screen resolution was half that of the Foleo. The shrunken down Windows GUI led people to believe that these devices could do everything a full Windows OS laptop could do, but they fell short in several areas. Active sync didn't work.

Palm isn't leading people to belive that the Foleo is a full blown powerful laptop, but rather a lower cost, ultra-portable, low power, instant on device that excels at email management and other common tasks without the having to deal with complexity, cost, and size associated with a laptop when all you need to do are simple, frequent tasks.
    What if it looked like this:

or like this:

... and of course $200 cheaper. I suspect people would have been a lot happier.

Surur
  10.    #11  
    I understand Jeff's definition of 'mobile companion'. If what he said is true, then the question is why they design the foleo's form factor so much like a notebook ? why Ed Colligan said to WSJ journalist that foleo is smaller, lighter, faster and cheaper? compare with what it is so? not a notebook?

IMHO, palm do has the ambition to carve a big slice out of notebook market. But they take a two stage strategy. In the first stage, they define the device as 'a mobile companion' and try to target on executives. They also set the smartphone as the center device to attract existing treo user to early adopt the device and the existing palmOS developers to join the ecosystem of foleo. The existing customers and developers are the biggest assets of the company. They are also the best resource to promote the new market. After they have a decent user base of foleo and a full-fledged platform (enough 3rd party software for mobile computing), they will definitely attack the business notebook user market. That is why the device is designed to be notebook-like, rather than something new, novel, and easy to be differentiate from notebook (like palm V from other PDAs). Jeff has huge experience of device form design and how user recognize and accept new product category. I have read his On Intelligence several times. He is an expert about human cognition. The notebook-like form factor is something deliberately designed, and it implies their ambitions.

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Palm isn't saying there aren't computers out there that cost the same or are the same size/weight. Try finding one that is the same price as the Foleo and the same size/weight. Vaios are slick but they are overkill for the 80/20 rule. You're comparing a $2000 ultra-portable Vaio to a $599 Palm Linux OS based ultra-portable.

Comparing the Foleo to Psion and Microsoft Jupiter devices like the IBM WorkPad z50 of years past and saying that those failed so the Foleo will fail too are missing the point. I had an IBM z50, and it closely matches the Foleo's size and weight. Instant on notetaking on the z50 was great. I had a CF WiFi card that I could never get to work.

The Jupiter devices didn't have the built in wireless and email synching capabilities nor the web browsing experience that the Foleo will offer. IE Explorer on that device was horrible, and the screen resolution was half that of the Foleo. The shrunken down Windows GUI led people to believe that these devices could do everything a full Windows OS laptop could do, but they fell short in several areas. Active sync didn't work.

Palm isn't leading people to belive that the Foleo is a full blown powerful laptop, but rather a lower cost, ultra-portable, low power, instant on device that excels at email management and other common tasks without the having to deal with complexity, cost, and size associated with a laptop when all you need to do are simple, frequent tasks.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I agree with UGlee, size is an essential feature of Foleo. It could not be any smaller than it is. It might be larger, but Palm believes in mobility, so Foleo is made as small as possible.

Why could it not be smaller?

Because Palm assumes that the user has a pocketable smartphone about the size of Treo. Such a user can do many things with this pocketable device that he always carries. The second device (that he does not always carry with him) needs a good full keyboard and larger screen to be of benefit to the user. Full keyboard can not be any smaller than it is in Foleo.

or like this:

Surur

See, now THAT`S what I used to expect from palm - pocketability with state of the art technology.

Ive learned to expect mundane, low end devices from them anymore. You know, iIf palm was going for meager sales on this device, dont advertise it as the next big thing. It was extremely disingenious to lead the tech community on with all these little "hints" of some revolutionary product around the corner.

Major error on their part. Some will say there is a market for this thing, and maybe there is on some very small scale, but I think the marketing approach on this "next big thing" 3rd business idea was grossly misleading, underwhelming and disappointing.

Its really going to hurt their credibility in the future i think
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    That top picture of the Sharp device is about what I was hoping for. Might need to check this one out.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Damn that Sharp is hot. Sharp Linux PDA + WiMax = perfect. They can keep that crappy camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Damn that Sharp is hot. Sharp Linux PDA + WiMax = perfect. They can keep that crappy camera.
    One model even appears to have a touchscreen too! Not that that is an earth shattering feature, but you would have thought palm would have built one into the foleo since all of their devices are given touchscreens.

I just think palm is comical. They finally give you wifi, but then rip the touchscreen off the device. Hilarious.

or like this:

Surur
    The first one is too small, the second/third one is too ugly. And God said: let there be Foleo...
    Palm M100->Sony T615->Palm TT->Treo 180->Treo 650
    Yup, there really isn't any device to compare the Foleo to. All of the devices which surur mentions either aren't practical for long hours of web browsing and/or typing...or the other ones he's found are the same size/form factor, but they cost $3200. The Foleo really is starting a new niche of device, but as I mentioned in other threads, it's a niche that won't sell much. It could have been something, but they left too much to be desired.

I owned a 10.6" Sony TR1A, the precursor to the famous TX....and I can't stand a screen that small.

And the type of niche this is appealing to would prolly rather enjoy a TX with SSD than a Foleo... in what way would the Foleo be better, other than price? The business users who would want an ultraportable device like this don't care about price....

Foleo is junk....but great junk all on its own.

WTF is that thing? It looks like a cross between an old G3 iBook and a George Foreman Grill...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Its a Korean 'electronic dictionary' with WIFI running win ce 5.

Surur