Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
       #1  
    It is a solid-state portable computer that is binary compatible with certain smartphones.

    The same software will run in Foleo and in future Treos.

    In this sense it is a new kind of mobile product category and future versions will not be so limited as this first one is.
  2. #2  
    And here I thought it was a poor Linux laptop...

    Surur
  3. #3  
    But it's specs were not fully released, for instance, ARM or x86 processor?

    It could be attractive to some vertical markets such as health care and education. With some custom apps, it could be used in the clinic setting for recording patient histories. Then the data could be uploaded via a browser app to a server. You couldn't keep this information on a phone due to privacy issues.

    I think we're now seeing the Foleo is the least functional light, but it should improve as more apps become available.

    If Palm intended to create a new line of Linux laptops from scratch, this will take some time. This is only the beginning.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
  4. #4  
    It runs an ARM processor. If you plan to use a device in an industrial setting, should you not be talking to Symbol et al, instead of trying to roll your own device?

    Don't you think you need durability, manageability, and stability (of the support and the supporting company of course). This device does not promise any of that.

    Maybe something like this, which can at least be disinfected.



    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/01/2007 at 07:25 AM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Don't you think you need durability, manageability, and stability (of the support and the supporting company of course). This device does not promise any of that.
    Ever? All of those things are possible over time.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Ever? All of those things are possible over time.
    This device (Foleo 0.1) has not been announced to have any of those essential features. Palm has not said anything about remote wipe, remote administration and software installation, group policies, user privilege restrictions etc etc, yet they want to sell it to large companies. Its not advertised as especially rugged, and many people worry that this is the lifedrive 2 that will either die very rapidly, or take Palm with it. Add to that Palm's recent history of abysmal support, and I don't foresee many large companies touching this with a barge pole.

    Surur
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This device (Foleo 0.1) has not been announced to have any of those essential features. Palm has not said anything about remote wipe, remote administration and software installation, group policies, user privilege restrictions etc etc, yet they want to sell it to large companies. Its not advertised as especially rugged, and many people worry that this is the lifedrive 2 that will either die very rapidly, or take Palm with it. Add to that Palm's recent history of abysmal support, and I don't foresee many large companies touching this with a barge pole.

    Surur
    It has virtually no apps today. The question is, will it attract enough developers over time as the Palm Pilot did? I think that given the decent-sized Palm developer community, it's possible, maybe even likely.
  8. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
       #8  
    I hope you all understand what software compatibility means in the long term. No waiting when your favorite programs will be ported to the other device, etc.

    Before Foleo, was there a full keyboard computer that was software compatible with a pocketable smartphone?

    Palm hopes that both the Linux community and the Palm community will see this kind of broad platform as their chance against Microsoft. If this happens, there will be plenty of applications.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    I hope you all understand what software compatibility means in the long term. No waiting when your favorite programs will be ported to the other device, etc.

    Before Foleo, was there a full keyboard computer that was software compatible with a pocketable smartphone?

    Palm hopes that both the Linux community and the Palm community will see this kind of broad platform as their chance against Microsoft. If this happens, there will be plenty of applications.
    You are dreaming....

    Surur
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Before Foleo, was there a full keyboard computer that was software compatible with a pocketable smartphone?
    Only every Windows Mobile device and any MS Windows computer. Even if you're too cheap to own MS Office, you can always run a virtual copy of your Windows Mobile device on any computer with Activesync (using Remote Display Control).

    Palm hopes that both the Linux community and the Palm community will see this kind of broad platform as their chance against Microsoft.
    I don't know why the Linux community wouldn't be just as disappointed by this too. After all, we can run Linux on any x86 platform, but faster (even with lower specs) than Windows can. This device has 1/10 the "power" of an OLPC at 3 times the cost. Doesn't anyone at Palm have an innovative thought anymore?
  11. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Only every Windows Mobile device and any MS Windows computer. Even if you're too cheap to own MS Office, you can always run a virtual copy of your Windows Mobile device on any computer with Activesync (using Remote Display Control).
    Windows Mobile is not binary compatible with any of the desktop Windows versions. You can not run desktop programs in Windows Mobile.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Windows Mobile is not binary compatible with any of the desktop Windows versions. You can not run desktop programs in Windows Mobile.
    You keep on talking about this feature as if a) Anyone else is talking about it and b) it has been confirmed by Palm.

    I guess you are a) Palm employee after all or b) you dont know what you are talking about.

    Surur
  13. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You keep on talking about this feature as if a) Anyone else is talking about it and b) it has been confirmed by Palm.

    I guess you are a) Palm employee after all or b) you dont know what you are talking about.
    You are correct. I don't know for sure that this binary compatibility exists. I assume it based on the tidbits about OS and processor in the Foleo.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Windows Mobile is not binary compatible with any of the desktop Windows versions. You can not run desktop programs in Windows Mobile.
    No argument there from me. I'm not sure what that had to do with my post though. You Palm employees don't seem to be very conversant on Windows or Windows Mobile software.
  15. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    No argument there from me. I'm not sure what that had to do with my post though. You Palm employees don't seem to be very conversant on Windows or Windows Mobile software.
    I am talking about binary compatibility between Foleo and future Treos. Your answer talked about Windows and Windows Mobile, so I understood that you claimed them to have binary compatibility. Sorry that I misunderstood.

    But the point remains that such a combination has not been available and Palm will (probably) bring it during this summer/autumn.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    I am talking about binary compatibility
    <Spanish Accent>You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.</Spanish Accent>

    Why in the world is this even important to anyone? If there's a good piece of software that caters to a phone, and a seperate good piece of software that caters to a PC/Laptop/whatever, why does it matter? Especially if those two pieces of software are free/open-source and/or can use the same files? Why in the world does it have to be the same frickin' binary executable?



    Oh and kudos to anyone who gets that reference up there.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  17. #17  
    You killed my father.. prepare to die!!

    Surur
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Why in the world does it have to be the same frickin' binary executable?
    So that you can say binary compatibility because...well, I don't rightly know why.

    BTW CountBuggula - do you happen to have 6 fingers on your right hand?
  19. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Why in the world does it have to be the same frickin' binary executable?
    Several reasons:
    - User point of view: you don't need to wait for software versions to be released to the other. If a piece of software is released to one, it works on the other.
    - Developer point of view: One SDK allows you to release applications to a broader platform. This equates to cost savings and scale advantages.

    I have wanted this kind of binary compatibility for a long time. Palm probably will make it happen. Linux community might try to make it happen on their own. iPhone and Mac might make it happen someday? Microsoft will try to bring Vista to smartphones at some point, but that is further ahead. Now there is a time window for Palm's attempt to succeed.
  20. #20  
    BTW......Mandy Patinkin told me the binary compatibility is stupid. Then he sang a song about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions