Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I'm shocked no one has noticed this ... Ryan K at PIC really scooped the crucial CPU details with that screenshot

... the Linux kernel is 2.4.21-rmk1-pxa1-intc2 which is built for the Intel PXA27x XScale processors ... possibly the same 312 MHz PXA272 that the Treo 7xx family uses! There's plenty of software that's just a recompile away from being usable on this device. I think when Jeff Hawkins talks about video not working on the Foleo yet, it's because there really aren't any OPEN SOURCE codecs for Linux that Palm can legally distribute (yet). Sure, you can install VLC or Totem to watch videos, but what about WMV support? H.264? This thing doesn't play MP3s either because Palm likely hasn't licensed the codec ... NormSoft and Real likely licensed MP3 from Thompson and Fraunhofer, so they're on okay legal ground.

This is all so clear now ... Hawkins is a genius ... the Foleo is a mobile e-mail companion, just like the Pilot was just an organizer. With any of the thousands of PalmOS software installed, the Pilot could be anything you wanted it to be. The story is just beginning for the Foleo!
    I saw that pic right before I posted this that the Foleo looks good in the PIC pics, but I dont know what that stuff means but was hoping someone would comment on it, thanks.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=144316
    Last edited by newtonjack; 05/31/2007 at 11:24 PM.
    I thought he said that the problem with playing YouTube videos was the speed of the processor. The Foleo has Flash; doesn't Flash come with the necessary codec built in for Flash Video?
    Quote Originally Posted by edoan View Post
    There's plenty of software that's just a recompile away from being usable on this device.
    That's what I read somewhere, they said that porting DocsToGo to Foleo was quiet straightforward and fast.

But viewing PDFs and editing any reasonably sized document (PPT, XLS, WORD), would be frustratingly slow (on such a large screen), going by the what happens on the Treo.

- mvk
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I wouldn't doubt that videos are jerky on this thing ... it's got a friggin' 1024x600 display. The framebuffer on this probably isn't anything fancy, just something basic that can throw 12-bit 2D images onto the LCD or onto an external VGA display. And the PXA27x processors don't have a floating point unit built into hardware (IIRC), so it's all software-emulated. That would make video decoding something of a challenge. It works on Treo and Tungsten b/c those only have to push a quarter of the pixels for video. Let's suppose they come out with a Foleo 2 (Foleo III?) next year with either a higher-powered processor (PowerPC 4xx!) or discrete video such as an ATI/AMD GPU ... then we'd really be talking about a multimedia powerhouse.

Flash does not automatically equal video. Remember, there are different version levels of Flash (6, 7, 8, etc) that have increasing capabilities. Also, for PDF, they're likely using xpdf or GhostScript (something open source), and not real Acrobat that they'd have to license.

Yeah, my mom really needs something simple that she can use for e-mail and CAN'T BREAK. There's a HUGE market out there for devices like this ... just look at all the interest in the OLPC despite the kiddie green n' white color scheme. Dell, Apple, and HP are all fighting over the same highly saturated base of consumers ... anyone who's wanted a full blown PC has already gotten one.

Here's what I think ... if someone can port OpenOffice.org or Abiword/Gnumeric to Linux-pxa, get Bluetooth/USB printing working via CUPS, and maybe get YouTube thru a highly optimized H.264 stream (see AppleTV announcement from 5/30/07), the Foleo is all the computer 90% of the population needs!
    Very interesting post!

and edoan, thanks for dropping some real knowledge here, that's some great info

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Great... but it's still designed to be a smartphone companion. I'm thrilled they got Linux going on the processor... now can we please have that OS in the device we actually wanted it in? Hello, Treo? *sigh* We can keep hoping they'll get it right with the markets they're in before trudging off into "new" territory. There have been a whole series of instant-on PC/laptop companions in the past (most of the ones I recall being CE based) that never really went anywhere. I'm not particularly optimistic about this one doing anything different...
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Great... but it's still designed to be a smartphone companion. I'm thrilled they got Linux going on the processor... now can we please have that OS in the device we actually wanted it in? Hello, Treo? *sigh* We can keep hoping they'll get it right with the markets they're in before trudging off into "new" territory. There have been a whole series of instant-on PC/laptop companions in the past (most of the ones I recall being CE based) that never really went anywhere. I'm not particularly optimistic about this one doing anything different...
    I think they are cutting their Linux teeth on a very low volume device. This should be the exact same Linux that will go into the Treo 800L. (That Ed said will be released by year end.)

It's basically a Linux based modern Palm Pilot that integrates with their other product line. (I always wished I could use my LIfedrive with an IR keyboard as a terminal to drive my Treo.) I hope they gift us LifeDrive owners with a little bit of resurrection sauce. I don't need it anymore and would love to do something useful with it.

brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    I think they are cutting their Linux teeth on a very low volume device. This should be the exact same Linux that will go into the Treo 800L. (That Ed said will be released by year end.)
    I agree in principal. I just wish Palm hadn't chose to do that in such a massively visible way, with a device around which so much hype had built up. This could backfire on them at a time when they really need not to be making additional mistakes in the marketplace.
    I believe that Palm has big plan for the Foleo line and Jeff is not sharing it with the world at this time. Jeff is probably already thinking about the Foleo products 3-5 years down the road.

Foleo has the potential to be a major game changer in the mobile computing world.

Time will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I believe that Palm has big plan for the Foleo line and Jeff is not sharing it with the world at this time. Jeff is probably already thinking about the Foleo products 3-5 years down the road.

Foleo has the potential to be a major game changer in the mobile computing world.

Time will tell
    Like I said in another post, I think Hawkins envisions a future similar to Minority Report, the scene where Tom Cruise is in the mall, and it scans his eyes to pull up personalized data, except instead of doing this at a shopping mall, it would work everywhere, using your smartphone and bluetooth. In his version of the future (I'd hope with a more powerful smartphone though) I think people will have Foleo type devices in every room, the office, maybe even in the car, and possibly a mobile one as well, and as you walk to a new Foleo in order to use it, it automatically pulls up your data from the phone.

I really do think you have to separate this Foleo concept that it seems like he has from the Foleo device which has been released. The Foleo concept is a lot more exciting to me than the device. (If you read the Treocentral interview as well, it definitely sounds like neither the Foleo and the Treo are where he'd like them to be yet.

Honestly, if more applications get released, I could possibly see myself using this in the future. I already have a main HTPC/ gaming PC that is used for video, and a separate computer mostly for IM chat, email, and word processing. The Foleo could definitely eventually take the place of this second computer in my case.
    I've no arguments with that concept... because it supports the vision of enhancing one's mobility without requiring the lugging of a device; the devices are simply embedded in various places and you take advantage of them as you approach. I like that. I get that. I don't get something I have to lug around with me in order to accomplish that. So I'd tend to agree with Hawkins' assessment that these devices aren't approaching the vision... but that tends to support the notion that maybe it isn't ready for primetime yet.

I agree with others though... time will tell. For me, the key thing about this vision is that THIS is what Palm should be espousing... and then releasing products that drive us toward that vision. To my thinking, the Foleo in present form doesn't do that. It makes me lug the vision around with me like a laptop... ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I believe that Palm has big plan for the Foleo line and Jeff is not sharing it with the world at this time.
    What a great idea.
    1. Hype up a mediocre product - call it revolutionary!
    2. Present it to the world with great fanfare.
    3. Pretend everyone's not laughing at it when you present it.
    4. Have a vision of the future that conclusively makes this device indispensable, but hide it from your potential customers.

Positively ingenious!

Or we could apply Occam's Razor and presume this is all there is (WYSIWYG), which ain't much, and there ain't nothin' else comin'.