Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    From reading the Foleo discussions, it would seem that many TC'ers would, like me, kill for a standalone large screen to complement their BT/IR folding keyboards.

For my on-the-road computing I dont need any more capabilities than provided by my Treo, and what would do me fine would be a simple, "dumb" (and therefore CHEAP) monitor that just zoomed up my Palm screen 2-3X. If it allowed display of video/games all the better but if thats one of the more difficults asks, it would not be critical for me. Also, I don't care how it connects to the Treo, I'm more than happy to carry another cable.

You can get some sense of whether this would work for you using PDAReach with your PC/Treo. Even with just a 2X zoom factor I find Im pretty happy. But PDAReach requires more than just a dumb monitor (and it doesnt seem to handle video).

Obviously, the absence of any such monitor suggests that they are not technically possible with current Treos.

Can the more technically attuned out there tell us whether this is something we could look forward to at some time in the foreseeable future?

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 05/31/2007 at 10:13 PM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    This would be the killer accessory to the Treo. It seems so simple. I mean who cares if they have to change the hardware a bit by putting a port on it. I'd be willing to upgrade and buy the screen. Then I would seriously consider leaving my laptop when I travel.

I believe this idea along with some good web services like google apps could really change the way we work and play. It could eventually replace the laptop.
    you mean this one

http://store.palm.com/product/index....entPage=family

+ 7-9" led screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawhk View Post
    you mean this one

http://store.palm.com/product/index....entPage=family

+ 7-9" led screen?
    Yep! Why not? They could add Wi-Fi, additioanl storage, and Palm Linux to a device in the form factor of the 755P and you'd have a killer laptop replacement. IMHO

I wonder if they could somehow send the video signal through the large connector on the bottom of the Treo?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawhk View Post
    + 7-9" led screen?
    ?????

Are you implying that one can already just link up an LED screen to a Treo?
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    ?????

Are you implying that one can already just link up an LED screen to a Treo?
    No, it means add that to the keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    No, it means add that to the keyboard
    Exactly!
    How much do you think?
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Can anyone actually answer the original question: is a simple external Treo monitor/screen possible?

David Beers at this site talks about the possibility of a "special video-out connector" for a future Treo, but doesn't go any further.

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 06/04/2007 at 02:19 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    The Athena connector is supposed to have video out capability, so in theory it should be quite possible (with the correct chips inside of course).

Surur
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The Athena connector is supposed to have video out capability, so in theory it should be quite possible (with the correct chips inside of course).Surur
    Thanks Surur, the lovely name "Athena" gave me something to search for! According to a few threads elsewhere, e.g. here:

" There are no video output pins on the Athena connector, contrary to popular belief."

Margi puts out (still?) a video-out SD card for early Palms (up to 650, ie Presenter-to-Go), but its $199, and while it talks to a VGA screen, and does PDA screen "mirroring", I'm not sure if this means it would also do likewise with an LCD.

cheers
    Last edited by TRgEOff; 06/04/2007 at 04:09 AM.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Of course an external monitor is possible - under Windows Mobile.

Have a look to the HTC advantage: WM runs already a 5" screen - so why not 10"?

They designed Foleo as another computer and not just as an external screen, because the Palm OS is not powerfull enough to display the running programs on the pda in 10".

You will probably see very soon an external monitor with a keayboard and nice battery life, that receives the image by bluetooth, wifi or cable form your WM smartphone. It might also have a vga outlet for a beamer!

This would be the kicker, as it woul truly replace laptops

I won't buy a Foleo, as I am waiting for that.

Constantin