1.    #1  
    Similar visions...

At around 10:20 into this video of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs at the D5 conference, Walt and Laura ask them both for their vision of what devices they see themselves carrying and using in 5 years.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid958499731

Gates - Not one single device, two mobile devices.

1. Full screen device that you carry around (Gates is a big believer in Tablet PCs) with a keyboard.

2. Device in your pocket with media, phone, navigation.

Evolution of these two devices will be highly complimentary, if you own one, you're more likely to own the other.

Jobs

1. PCs going mobile to an ever greater degree, connected to backend services in the cloud.

2. "Post-PC" devices that aren't as general purpose, that are more focused on specific functions like phones, the iPod, Zune. This category is going to be very innovative, and there will be lots of them.

3. While talking about the Google Maps client on the iPhone, Jobs also said there is a lot that can be done with low power, inexpensive clients connected to the cloud using the right combination of well designed software and backend services. Sounds a lot like what Palm has been hinting at.

These statements sound very similar to what Jeff Hawkins said when introducing the Foleo and the concept behind it: Full keyboard, large screen, mobile, not general purpose but focused on specific functions (starting with Email), and it is a companion to the smartphone, that if you own one you're more likely to own the other. Palm has also dropped vague hints that point to services in the cloud. Anyone else think the rebirth of MyPalm.com and the introduction of Palm Backup Beta hint at future Palm services in the cloud?

What are some of the most important requirements for a mobile device? Small size, light weight, low power consumption.

While 1st generation of the Foleo might not be there yet, 5 years out it should be spot-on. This is probably the right time window for Palm to introduce this "Post-PC" mobile device. Just my humble opinion.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    Similar visions...

At around 10:20 into this video of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs at the D5 conference, Walt and Laura ask them both for their vision of what devices they see themselves carrying and using in 5 years.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid958499731

Gates - Not one single device, two mobile devices.

1. Full screen device that you carry around (Gates is a big believer in Tablet PCs) with a keyboard.

2. Device in your pocket with media, phone, navigation.

Evolution of these two devices will be highly complimentary, if you own one, you're more likely to own the other.

Jobs

1. PCs going mobile to an ever greater degree, connected to backend services in the cloud.

2. "Post-PC" devices that aren't as general purpose, that are more focused on specific functions like phones, the iPod, Zune. This category is going to be very innovative, and there will be lots of them.

3. While talking about the Google Maps client on the iPhone, Jobs also said there is a lot that can be done with low power, inexpensive clients connected to the cloud using the right combination of well designed software and backend services. Sounds a lot like what Palm has been hinting at.

These statements sound very similar to what Jeff Hawkins said when introducing the Foleo and the concept behind it: Full keyboard, large screen, mobile, not general purpose but focused on specific functions (starting with Email), and it is a companion to the smartphone, that if you own one you're more likely to own the other. Palm has also dropped vague hints that point to services in the cloud. Anyone else think the rebirth of MyPalm.com and the introduction of Palm Backup Beta hint at future Palm services in the cloud?

What are some of the most important requirements for a mobile device? Small size, light weight, low power consumption.

While 1st generation of the Foleo might not be there yet, 5 years out it should be spot-on. This is probably the right time window for Palm to introduce this "Post-PC" mobile device. Just my humble opinion.

Brian
    The difference is that if Steve Jobs puts something like Apple's version of a Foleo-like out to market, you can bet it won't be half-assed, but it'll work, have a fabulous UI, be easy to use, use some of the latest available technology, and will have some good multimedia features to boot. Nothing....and I mean NOTHING makes the Foleo stand out. No one really wants it, only a handful of people have actually said "hey I could use that". By contrast you actually see a plethora of posts saying "isn't this just a recycled windows CE machine from 10 years ago?"

Plus, Palm has really let its users down with regards to any sort of proper syncing solution, especially wirelessly. Hotsync for OS X doesn't even sync correctly, and don't get me started about the problems people have with bluetooth syncing. How are we supposed to trust a company to make a device that will effortlessly and seamlessly sync with your phone when it can't even make a piece of software to sync your phone with your computer properly? (Or....for that matter....make a proper, working bluetooth stack for the flagship PalmOS phone, the 700p, before releasing it...let alone over a year afterward.)
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Nothing....and I mean NOTHING makes the Foleo stand out.
    Maybe they just can not yet boast with the stand out feature of this full-keyboard computer: it's software combatibility with a pocketable device?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Plus, Palm has really let its users down with regards to any sort of proper syncing solution, especially wirelessly. Hotsync for OS X doesn't even sync correctly, and don't get me started about the problems people have with bluetooth syncing. How are we supposed to trust a company to make a device that will effortlessly and seamlessly sync with your phone when it can't even make a piece of software to sync your phone with your computer properly?
    You are talking about current Treo syncing and are rightfully pissed about the problems.

However, I want to make a point from my perspective regarding this post-Foleo world where we now already live in.

FOR ME, there is nothing....and I mean NOTHING except backup, that would make me want to sync either my smartphone or my Foleo to my PC. If Foleo and Treo can backup over the air to an internet server, then I would never sync to a PC even if that would be possible. If they backup to each other, then even that might suffice. For example, I have no need to keep my calendar data and such in a PC, I already do all that stuff with my smartphone and if I would have Foleo, the benefits of calendar in my PC would disappear completely.

That being said, I think that there are people who want their calendar items to go to a workgroup server in the office or something, and they might want to sync to their office PC.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    However, I want to make a point from my perspective regarding this post-Foleo world where we now already live in.
    In decades to come, whenever people of a certain age gather, they will always be able to tell you exactly where they were, and what they were doing on May 30, 2007, the day Palm, Inc. was shot......by itself......in the foot.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Maybe they just can not yet boast with the stand out feature of this full-keyboard computer: it's software combatibility with a pocketable device?
    You keep banging on about this like it's something new and special. It's neither. Much WM software is "compatible" with full sized Windows. Docs to go makes my Office documents "compatible" with my XP desktop.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...