Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Come on Palm! What are you guys thinking? A laptop that isn't really a laptop? Or is it a PDA that isn't really a PDA? Didn't you have a few extra 4 gig drives left over from the LifeDrive that you could have thrown in here?

I bought a 12" Averatec laptop at Office Max for $700 that has a dual core Athlon 64, 1 gig of RAM and a 100 GB hard drive. Not to mention WiFi, PCI Express, FireWire, USB 2.0 and Windows XP (soon to be Ubuntu).

Why does this stupid little Foleo cost so much and provide so little. I am betting that a few TC bleeding-edgers will jump right in on release day. Will it sell more than 5,000 units worldwide? Perhaps. There are collectors out there who are hoping that this will be the next Newton or Lisa. I guess I am in that group because I still have a Fossil Abacus Palm watch still in the box.

Perhaps Palm should have thought about the failure Abacus when they made the Foleo. If people don't want a Palm that you can wear on your wrist, why would they want one that you have to carry in an extra bag that only works if you have a Treo with an unlimited cell phone as modem data plan.

Will a $600 (-$100 rebate) Palm really be a better seller and more useful device than a $129 Treo for the masses. If Motorola can sell a gadbijillion RAZRs why can't Palm release a Treo that proves to the average cell phone user how great a smart device really can be.

I have been using a laptop for 7 years, a Palm user since the IIIxe and converged device user since the Kyocera 6035 which was also my first cell phone.

I use my Treo on an hourly basis for tracking clients, reading email, looking up info on the web and tracking eBay sales. Palm would tell you that I was the perfect market for the Foleo. Well, I am and I don't want it.
    Apparently, Jeff doesn't get it either.
    When I travel, I already carry my work laptop with me. To bridge the gap in airports and while I'm in meetings, I have a 700p. Even with the bugs, it does a pretty great job, allowing me to use VPN Outlook and yahoo e-mail, surf the web (without video), read and edit attachments when necessary, connect to third party web-based apps, listen to music, see pictures, etc.

I can't see justifying $500 and another 1" and 2 lbs. in my laptop bag (plus charger and cables) to give me a marginally improved 700p experience. It's not like I would leave my laptop at home, given the Foleo's lack of video, CD/DVD, Office, and all my own software.
  4.    #4  
    Announcing the new Foleo wall clock. It only tells time if it is in close proximity of a wristwatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels View Post
    Announcing the new Foleo wall clock. It only tells time if it is in close proximity of a wristwatch.
    Bravo, sir. Bravo.
    I thought we tried the super-size handheld crap before and people realized that almost notebook replacements weren't going to happen. Anyone remember Windows CE and the HP Jornada 820? Nice device... used and liked one for quite a while. But a laptop replacement it wasn't. That one was billed as a PC companion and it still flopped. Now they want to sell pretty much the same idea as a companion for another mobile device? They MUST be joking!
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    I thought we tried the super-size handheld crap before and people realized that almost notebook replacements weren't going to happen. Anyone remember Windows CE and the HP Jornada 820? Nice device... used and liked one for quite a while. But a laptop replacement it wasn't. That one was billed as a PC companion and it still flopped. Now they want to sell pretty much the same idea as a companion for another mobile device? They MUST be joking!
    Back then, nobody was doing email and web via their cellphones.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Right so if it's for web and email - what do I need the feleo for? I'm posting here happy as a bird off my e61 - sure I don't have that bigger bag but I'm not trailing that power adapter or bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right so if it's for web and email - what do I need the feleo for? I'm posting here happy as a bird off my e61 - sure I don't have that bigger bag but I'm not trailing that power adapter or bag.
    No one said you need it.
    I don't get why there are sooooo many open threads about this thing...
    People feel important when they start threads. They wait anxiously to see how popular thier thread becomes.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    No one said you need it.
    You are a very literal chap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I don't get why there are sooooo many open threads about this thing...
    For me, it's just general outrage, disbelief, and dismay that Palm really thought we'd drink the Kool Aid and think they were introducing something revolutionary. We'll all get over it before too long, just like the market will... but I doubt it's going to sell well.
    Within two years of that time was when Blackberry came on the scene. So, yes, you're correct that mobile IM and PIM wasn't a reality when I was using my HP Jornada 820... but within a year or two I was busy becoming a crackberry addict.

Going back to a clamshell handheld just seems like such a step sideways, if not backward. I don't see it as enhancing mobility or bringing some revolutionary to the market.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    People feel important when they start threads. They wait anxiously to see how popular thier thread becomes.
    You're right - I feel so left out now

Maybe I'll start a thread titled "should I start a thread?" or maybe "what should I call my thread?"
    Quote Originally Posted by jimn367 View Post
    You're right - I feel so left out now

Maybe I'll start a thread titled "should I start a thread?" or maybe "what should I call my thread?"
    Whichever you decide, be sure to post it with an- I am the only one to have thought of this, light shedding, many will follow but I am the first!- arrogance about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    Whichever you decide, be sure to post it with an- I am the only one to have thought of this, light shedding, many will follow but I am the first!- arrogance about it.
    LOL You mean like the arrogance of "this device is going to revolutionize the industry!" ?
    LOL You mean like the arrogance of "this device is going to revolutionize the industry!" ?
    Or like, "I don't need it, so no one does."
    Or like, "I don't need it, so no one does."
    Or like "this worked so well the first time so let's try it again and act like it's something new"

hahahaha
    Or like "this worked so well the first time so let's try it again and act like it's something new"

hahahaha
    Or like, "I don't get it, so Hawkins must be an *****."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast