1.    #1  
    In the TC interview Hawkins gave a tease-his words:

Hawkins then returned to a theme that he's mentioned in the earlier hints he'd given about the Foleo. Imagine if you had "a ton of storage, a ton, basically unlimited storage" on your smartphone. Add that to the fact that you're no longer as constrained by all of those "tradeoffs" that usually apply to the smartphone's design. "I have to just give you a tease here. But that's the direction we're thinking." Hawkins would say no more.

Tradeoffs like the small screen and keyboard are addressed with the Foleo, thats the 1st piece of the new device puzzle.

OK how is a smartphone gonna have unlimited storage? Server based storage delivered to a new Palm linux-based smartphone?

Which in turn transfers its connection to the Foleo-thus the new 2 piece device.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    OK how is a smartphone gonna have unlimited storage? Server based storage delivered to a new Palm linux-based smartphone?

Which in turn transfers its connection to the Foleo-thus the new 2 piece device.
    Online storage: GoogleMail style.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Since Gmail etc storage is for email and files,
    unlimited Palm phone storage would be web Pim apps with database,
    all stored off the phone, but secured to that phone number.
    Thus you would go to palm's member web page, (auto) log in via your phone number (with optional password if on the web but not via your phone), and be able to go into your lists, documents, contacts, etc via applications installed on the web server (thus they are java applets or .net controls), but partially run on the phone (for faster code), but all the data stays on the web server.

What other tasks do people use their Treo phones for that could be offloaded (data wise) onto a remote server?

MP3 and video storage?
    Games?

The problem is that just like the foleo, this requires constant data access via your treo, with major data usage and transfer rates and battery usage. All of which is forbidden by most phone company data plans.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    but you don't have unlimited storage - you have a capacity for accessing a data-storage that might be for practical purposes unlimited - that's a different thing and that's going to cost and that's going to require connectivity - which depending on where you are is going to be patchy or is going to be slow or might not even be available.
  5.    #5  
    So what do you think Palm's reaction will be to all this backlash for the Foleo?? They are commited now... so They have a two choices in my eyes:

1) Leave it as is and release it and hope for the best

2) Throw tons of money at it to put a real processor in it, up the internal memory to at least 2 gig, make it at least usable for more that reading e-mail.... like streaming videos, put open office on it so you can creat decent documents, and drop the price to $299
    You know that blog's moderated? There hasn't been a new comment added since early this morning. Looks like they realized everything that's being posted is overwhelmingly negative and just not letting anything through.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    You know that blog's moderated? There hasn't been a new comment added since early this morning. Looks like they realized everything that's being posted is overwhelmingly negative and just not letting anything through.
    This morning there were 6 posts, last time I looked there were 72. The moderator, Paul, can only do so much and only works during the day. Any posts after 5 PM or so wont go up till the next day.
    In the TC interview Hawkins gave a tease-his words:

Hawkins then returned to a theme that he's mentioned in the earlier hints he'd given about the Foleo. Imagine if you had "a ton of storage, a ton, basically unlimited storage" on your smartphone. Add that to the fact that you're no longer as constrained by all of those "tradeoffs" that usually apply to the smartphone's design. "I have to just give you a tease here. But that's the direction we're thinking." Hawkins would say no more.

Tradeoffs like the small screen and keyboard are addressed with the Foleo, thats the 1st piece of the new device puzzle.

Integration with Google Apps, Email, Storage and possibly a yet to be name synch routine similar to foldershare.

My theory is that this was set to be announced with the device but licensing fell apart leaving Palm to look like a fool demonstratiing 1989 technology.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    The Foleo defines a new user interface for Palm, streamlined and simplistic, in true Palm fashion, but not limited as in the past by PDA or smartphone screensize. Not just a user interface, but a whole new OS. The UI, apps, and data can all be hosted by the phone and exported to the Foleo, but it doesn't stop there. When you sit at your desktop pc, or open up your laptop, or walk up to a kiosk or even an atm machine, you can have full access to the apps and data on your phone. THIS is Hawkins dream, the computer is in your pocket and goes with you everywhere. How you access it is where it is going to get fun.

They are simply starting with the Foleo because they have full control over the hardware. Everybody balks at the $600 price, but who here won't be signing up for the Palm developer program, downloading the SDK and running the Foleo emulator on their pc? Not just to play around but to really tap into the power of their treo. I always liked running the treo emulator because I could use a normal keyboard but access all the treo apps, but I always thought "If I could just expand the screen to a normal size, I might actually use this for real".

Palm is making the PC truly personal. This is just a baby step.
    I suspect MyPalm.com and Palm Backup Beta will expand with the Foleo. All of your PIM and email data will be synced and backup up securely online between all of your devices

Palm Desktop functions through a secure connection in any web browser

PIM sharing capability for shared calendaring with friends/family members/co-works, you control the level of access.

Google Apps functionality (either a partnership with Google or Palm's own) including Google Docs and an offline component like Google Gears.

Brian