Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just kidding
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'm not very smart, so I may be wrong on this, but if you can view on the Foleo what's on the Treo screen then it (Slingplayer) will work.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The point of Foleo is software compatibility. It is a full keyboard computer that is software compatible with some smartphones.

With software compatibility you don't need to wait for developer to announce new versions. All applications work accross the board without hesitation.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I'm not very smart, so I may be wrong on this, but if you can view on the Foleo what's on the Treo screen then it (Slingplayer) will work.
    I don't think it works like that. If that was the case why did they have to write new versions of image viewer (or whatever it's called) and Docs to Go? It synchs data across devices but the display/manipulation of the data is done on each platform.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    If that was the case why did they have to write new versions of image viewer (or whatever it's called) and Docs to Go?
    Because those applications were not originally programmed for the possibility of a big screen. With Palm's coming SDK you can write an application so that it works properly both in Foleo and in Treo.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    The point of Foleo is software compatibility. It is a full keyboard computer that is software compatible with some smartphones.

With software compatibility you don't need to wait for developer to announce new versions. All applications work accross the board without hesitation.
    Huh? So PalmOS (or even Windows) applications from compatible phones will magically just work on this Linux device??

I think it's a bit harder than that....
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Because those applications were not originally programmed for the possibility of a big screen. With Palm's coming SDK you can write an application so that it works properly both in Foleo and in Treo.
    Yes, but will developers bother, considering Palm themselves have said the Foleo is a low-volume device?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Huh? So PalmOS (or even Windows) applications from compatible phones will magically just work on this Linux device??
    Of course not. All applications written to this new platform so that programmer realizes that there can be either a Treo of a Foleo, will work in both.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Yes, but will developers bother, considering Palm themselves have said the Foleo is a low-volume device?
    That is a good question. Palm hopes that both the Linux community and the Palm community will this this kind of a broad platform as their chance against Microsoft.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That is a good question. Palm hopes that both the Linux community and the Palm community will this this kind of a broad platform as their chance against Microsoft.
    But Palm are supposed to be best buddies to Microsoft these days aren't they?

When did Treos EVER work like that?

Surur
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    But Palm are supposed to be best buddies to Microsoft these days aren't they?
    Palm uses Windows Mobile, but also Palm OS. Not a major change in this respect when Foleo came.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    When did Treos EVER work like that?
    Software compatibility works like that. Now Palm is trying to make that work between devices of various sizes.
    Hahahahahahahhaha you guys don't have a clue what you're talking about. This thing is not a monitor for your Treo. You cannot use it to display what you're doing on the treo or to run programs that reside on the treo. It also doesn't have any sort of PalmOS application compatibility layer (at least that's been announced) so it won't run PalmOS programs either. It can only run Linux aps that have been ported to an ARM environment (99% of all Linux software is x86 based).

Geez, pull your head out of the clouds.
    Last edited by CountBuggula; 06/01/2007 at 09:42 AM.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Hahahahahahahhaha you guy don't have a clue what you're talking about. This thing is not a monitor for your Treo. You cannot use it to display what you're doing on the treo or to run programs that reside on the treo. It also doesn't have any sort of PalmOS application compatibility layer (at least that's been announced) so it won't run PalmOS programs either. It can only run Linux aps that have been ported to an ARM environment (99% of all Linux software is x86 based).

Geez, pull your head out of the clouds.
    I'm a bit confused myself how it will work - as far as I can work out it will handle various filetypes and bits of data that will reside on your treo - this might be with a virtually duplicate program such as docs to go or it might be with a different program that apps a similar program on the treo.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    This thing is not a monitor for your Treo. You cannot use it to display what you're doing on the treo or to run programs that reside on the treo. It also doesn't have any sort of PalmOS application compatibility layer (at least that's been announced) so it won't run PalmOS programs either. It can only run Linux aps that have been ported to an ARM environment (99% of all Linux software is x86 based).
    Nobody claimed it to be a monitor for Treo. Nobody claimed it to run existing applications.

I claimed that it will be possible to make applications that run both on a Foleo and on future Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm a bit confused myself how it will work - as far as I can work out it will handle various filetypes and bits of data that will reside on your treo - this might be with a virtually duplicate program such as docs to go or it might be with a different program that apps a similar program on the treo.
    All it can do is use the data connection from your phone (treo) and share a few databases between the two devices. It doesn't run the Email off of your palm, but it accesses the database where your email is stored.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Nobody claimed it to be a monitor for Treo. Nobody claimed it to run existing applications.

I claimed that it will be possible to make applications that run both on a Foleo and on future Treos.
    Read through this thread again. Photojojo claimed exactly that.
    So when you said...

Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe
    that we do not have to wait for new versions of applications, you meant...

... AFTER the developers announce all the new versions?

Surur
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    So when you said that we do not have to wait for new versions of applications, you meant AFTER the developers announce all the new versions?
    I took the title of this thread and tried to make an example of the benefits of software compatibility. So once there is a version announced for either Treo or Foleo, the same binary will also work on the other.

Waiting for versions to be announced is painful and that pain can be eased with compatibility. The point of Foleo is software compatibility across a diverse range of devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast