1.    #1  
    Hawkins then discussed the difficult tradeoffs in making a smartphone.

- A smartphone has a screen that's as large as possible
    - A battery that will last throughout a full day of use
    - having a thumboard/dialpad that's easy to type text on
    - Phone form factor

All these features limit the ways in which Palm feels that a smartphone can be designed.

He feels that the Foleo allows him to move some functionality to the Foleo, thus opening up the Treo design constraints.

So what might we see?
    -----------------------
    - A tiny treo. (Most likely without a touchscreen or thumboard)
    - A treo that has a full face LCD touchscreen
    - A treo that has a faster processors
    - A treobrick that contains large harddrives, and large capacity batteries that acts as a connectivity hub (WiFi access, bluetooth, cellular). Think of it as a portable/wireless fileserver/WAP/router/hub.
    - This would open the door for Foleo(Treo?) headsets that do not include a cellular radio, and rely on the Treobrick and/or local wifi for connectivity.
    - A flipphone
    - a clamshell treo

What else?
    -----------
    - Feature phones have many of the functions that Treos have, but the extended functions are basically unuseable. If they were integrated with the Folio, it would really open up the potential userbase of the Foleo.
    - Allows me to switch smartphone vendors and still maintain some consistancy
    - Really deliver on the Lifedrive promise, that would allow you to have acccess to all the data you want anywhere you are. A Treo that acts like a giant harddrive that also caches content from your "i-drive" (Internet hard drive), giving you basically unlimited storage.
    I think the key benefit for them is the freedom to make a phone with a smaller screen - which will reduce power consumption, and either increase battery life or allow for a smaller battery. That could, in turn, allow them to design thin phones or flip-phones.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I'm not an engineer so I don't have a sense of sizes. Would it be possible to have a wristwatch phone coupled with the Foleo? That doesn't look like a giant nerd watch?
    I'm just curious about the wifi aspect. If they make their new devices wifi compatible, they will run into the same old problems with the vendors. Maybe if they just make them Foleo compatible, the vendors will still sell them as phones....
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    hold on a minute - the cart is before the horse here.

Unless they are smoking serious amounts of crack over at palm while they talk about those devices I seriously doubt a single one will appear unless the foleo is a success and is seen as having a sustainable future.

why are you going to design a line of phones on the premise that anyone who buys one is either already going to own a feolo or pays to buy one along with the phone before you know what sort of market it has?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    A good design would be have something like the Foleo but have a slot that loads in a slim formed Treo. This new Treo would be no bigger than a Moto SLVR, have EVDO or HSDPA have a touch screen, have no keypad and use micro-sd. When you want to just bring the phone with you you eject it and you get everything on that device. granted typing emails would be tough but this is where the Foleo comes in. You pop the Treo back in the slot and now you have a real portable, non-tethered device that has all the function of the Treo, it mirrors everything including all apps and data.

Everything together would be priced at $999 but then you'd have carrier discounts for signing up with new service. This is something I would buy. Make it so they are designed to work together instead of the Foleo being a $600 accessory for a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    hold on a minute - the cart is before the horse here.

Unless they are smoking serious amounts of crack over at palm while they talk about those devices I seriously doubt a single one will appear unless the foleo is a success and is seen as having a sustainable future.

why are you going to design a line of phones on the premise that anyone who buys one is either already going to own a feolo or pays to buy one along with the phone before you know what sort of market it has?
    The market for thinner phones exists. No crack necessary to recognize that.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    It occurs to me that perhaps Jeff's concept was born out of "needs to be slimmer, smaller, lighter - but with a larger screen, better keyboard, multiple radios". These two concepts are inherently contradictory.

So maybe his vision is to separate the two. This allows a lot of flexibility in the design of the radio unit and opens up possibilities for new categories of software applications - don't ask me what they would be. That is for the software developer community's imagination. Time will tell if his vision will succeed.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    samkim[/LEFT];1270920]The market for thinner phones exists. No crack necessary to recognize that.

Yes they do - but the model here is that the functionality will shift to the companion device - if people don't buy the companion device - what are they left with?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yes they do - but the model here is that the functionality will shift to the companion device - if people don't buy the companion device - what are they left with?
    A powerful smartphone with a smaller screen and smaller overall form factor - what Palm should be producing anyway.