Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I thought I read somewhere that the foleo supports 802.11b/g. However, after watching the interview with Brodie Keast, I heard that it only supports 802.11b(11mbits). I also confirmed in the palm webpage that it is only 802.11b. That means that the same wifi in my TX is also the same one in the foleo. I tried to use my TX as an internet tablet browser ala N800... it failed miserably, the wifi connection doesn't stay connected after you turn off the device(it needs to connect every time I turn it on, which is really frustrating), the wifi is too slow(at 11mbits), the browser (blazer) can't support all the web pages I go and its very hard to use the virtual keypad to type a webpage (compared to a keyboard).

After having an imac with 802.11g... the b flavor is really disappointing... Sure it does look nice (gadget lust kicking in), but lets face it, if its really this crippled (no pims, no initial support for multimedia, only 5 hours of battery life --> a device like this should have more that 5 hours of battery life --> but that's just me, underpowered and no garnet layer emulation), most likely those the new owners of the foleo will be disappointed with their new toy...
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    The WiFi is only for web browsing, so why do you need more than 11Mbps?

Bluetooth 2.0 only has a bandwidth up to 10Mbps.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

Considering the media limitations of this POS 56K would suffice.
    I would think the bigger issue would be security concerns with "b" versus "g". Seems odd that they would release a "b"-only device.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Since Foleo Version 0.0 doesn't do videos anyway so faster web connection does no good.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607

Something tells me you haven't surfed at 11Mbps lately. Given that something like 99% (based on my highly unscientific SWAG ) of all public web sites are larded up with graphics, trying to surf at 11Mbps can be incredibly annoying.

And given how cheap and ubiquitous 801.11G hardware has become, it seems like an incredible oversight on Palm's part not to include it. He11s bells, aren't there any number of plain, stand-alone cell phones that support G?

Palm always seems to provide less than they easily could in order to cut costs.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Something tells me you haven't surfed at 11Mbps lately.
    Most people are surfing at a lot less than that as their internet connection is below 11mbps
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Something tells me you haven't surfed at 11Mbps lately.
    Something tells me you don't know what you're talking about. Do you really have an Internet connection faster than 11Mbps? I seriously doubt it!

Here in the UK, home broadband Internet access is 2-8Mbps. Even on a corporate LAN you may have a 100Mbps or Gigabit ethernet connection, but the shared connection you have to the Internet is probably no more than a few megabits.

So 802.11b is more than enough for GPRS, EDGE or 3G connections. However, I agree it's a shame they didn't spend a few more cents on an 802.11a/b/g chipset.
    I don't understand why people get caught up on this 11, 54 mbit thing. Fact is, your connection is well below 11 or 54 mbit, so 11 mbit is plenty fast enough. The only benefit 54 offers is if you are transferring files between networked computers. The data rate is much faster than 11. That's it. For web surfing it makes no difference.
    Most high speed Internet providers don't get near that speed. If you have FIOS (fiber) like me, you can get 15Mbps or 30Mbps. However, both of these are overkill for web surfing.

High speed wireless really comes in handy when doing wireless transfers on a LAN.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    The only way you're going to saturate that 11mb/sec connection at home (with the internet) is if you have a dedicated T1 line running straight to your house. Even the fastest cable modems max out around 10mb/s with their premium services.

The faster g versus b is only good for inter-network file transfers and such, which you won't be doing with this thing because it doesn't actually have a hard drive or any storage to speak of.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    There is not a website out there that will upload more than 11mb/sec to any computer over the internet. The only possibility such fast internet access could have is if you are downloading large files from multiple websites at the same time and even then, sucking up more than 11mbits is really not going to happen 99.9% of the time. Bottom line: for browsing the internet on a device such as Foleo, 802.11b is more than fine.

That said, I still think Foleo is a complete and utter joke of a product.
    The speed makes a difference when transferring files over your own network, e.g. transferring a pile of mp3's (I would have said video... but we know thats a no go) from your desktop to your 8GB CF storage card.

Surur
    A dedicated T1 line is only 1.544 mb/sec. A cable modem is faster than DSL in my area, and you get a choice of 3 and 6 mb/sec downstream, and much less bandwidth upstream.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Another issue with no g support. Many wireless routers (if not all) have a performance hit if they are run in b compatibility mode. In the last month we've just started a survey to see if we have any b devices left here so we can hopefully switch off b compatibility mode. I don't think we've identified one yet....
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    The only way you're going to saturate that 11mb/sec connection at home (with the internet) is if you have a dedicated T1 line running straight to your house. Even the fastest cable modems max out around 10mb/s with their premium services.

The faster g versus b is only good for inter-network file transfers and such, which you won't be doing with this thing because it doesn't actually have a hard drive or any storage to speak of.
    a t1 is not gonna give you that much sorry
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Don't forget the overhead with a wireless connection. I have 15Mbps on FiOS and over my 802.11g connection, I can't hit that consistently. When I'm plugged in directly, I get 15Mbps no problem. Everyone does have a point though, if you're running a 6Mbps cable modem connection, the 11Mbps wireless won't matter much.

Joe
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    ...And given how cheap and ubiquitous 801.11G hardware has become, it seems like an incredible oversight on Palm's part not to include it. He11s bells, aren't there any number of plain, stand-alone cell phones that support G?...
    This is probably why Jeff downplayed the WiFi aspect of the device. Even though having 802.11g isn't necessary, most people are going to react the same the you did. Why put something old in a brand new device if the current standard isn't more expensive. It really comes down to a perception issue. Given that the initial reaction to the Damn Fooleo has been pretty awful, this is just another slap.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The speed makes a difference when transferring files over your own network, e.g. transferring a pile of mp3's (I would have said video... but we know thats a no go) from your desktop to your 8GB CF storage card.

Surur
    It probably won't bundle a mp3 player at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Since Foleo Version 0.0 doesn't do videos anyway so faster web connection does no good.
    But you could download videos to the Foleo, and then transfer them to the Treo so you could watch them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast