Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Are you a wise guy? When I post the last post, I was using my Treo and couldn't view the Foleo animation (ironic isn't it?)

I watch the flash presentation again on my PC. No it doesn't say anything about music play back.
    I think he is being serious. With the Fooleo it really was better not to have known what it really was.

Surur
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Septimus- From casual observation, the Foleo appears to be primarily geared toward the Palm OS mobile crowd [DataViz,etc]. What's the appeal supposed to be to the Windows Mobile crowd of execs who already use subnotebooks for portability [outside of instant-on-type 'improvements']?

Thanks.
    I like how palm comes out with a new product thats full of bugs, make tiny improvments with subsequent new version that solves some old bugs but now with new bugs.

Instead of perfecting the smartphone that they have, they spend their resources on this foleo which supposedly targets the business exec.

And if you're going to spend the time and money developing this "third" business, at least make it up to date with current technology, and not yesteryear and then call it cutting edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by princealyy View Post
    I would like to put out a disclaimer I LOVE THIS UNIT; however I feel it necessary to bring a few world of reason to the forum.

First off the price is 499.00 which is great for a small portable email/ word processing device, but can we really as smart consumer (not so sure how smart I can say I am after spending about 350 on a phone) justify another 499 accessory.

Donít get me wrong the price is great however I have seen full laptops going for less than that price.

I also see this as a way for carriers to force people to pay for internet at OUTRAGEOUS prices. When using our trusty treos for internet.

I just worry that this will be a fad??? Not so sure, I think the laptop is not going anywhere until the foleo can watch DVDís surf the web, you tube, face book, normal things people do from the airport (I know people are supposed to be working, however I travel a lot and I NEVER check email from the terminal on my laptop, thatís why I have a treo)!!!

Once again I LOVE THIS IDEA, but need to play devils advocate.
    I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm not getting your logic here.

How is it a great price despite being more expensive than full laptops?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I think the Folio could be a great idea, if, it really lasts five hours on wifi, is very light, is friendly for the executive user, and runs its apps quick enough to be functional. Movie playback would be neat, but probably unrealistic. The Folio could be ideal for the busy executive who carries a smartphone and does not own a laptop. (ok, sorry, I sound like a marketing guy from Palm!) I don't think it will be useful for someone who already has a desktop, laptop, several smartphones and other devices, its functions will be redundant and not necessarily as good. But we'll see how it makes out!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm not getting your logic here.

How is it a great price despite being more expensive than full laptops?
    It's one-fourth the price of comparably heavy laptops. It's one-half the weight of comparably priced laptops.
    With due respect to those that think it is cool (I do too), I am perplexed as to how products like this get to market. Usually products are designed to solve a pain-point or enhance your life to the point that you 'gotta have it'. The original Palm through the current Treos fits one or both of those categories nicely. If you live/die by communications, or just gotta have all your data converged in one place fitting in your pocket, The Palms/Treos get you there. Jack Bauer would probably have been killed in Season 2 without his Treo!!!!

"Nice to have" products like the Foleo that dont solve an immediately identifiable need are risky bets for struggling companies. You can get full-fledged laptops for simliar money, ultra light sub 2.5 lb laptops with 5+ hours battery (Panasonic Toughbook W5), sub-notebooks from Sony and Fujitsu, even a Mac for just over $1,000. All of those carry the intrinsic benefit of being 'comfortable' on a familiar OS with consistency built in.

I just dont think there's enough of a market of people to see it and find some missing niche in their life to be fulfilled by yet another intermediary product. Even the early adopters here state that they 'may' find a use after 2 weeks of use. The trouble is that most people wont even give a product like this a shot at all, and it will linger, stuck in the middle.

I hope Palm does find a niche for this, but I just cant think what that would be.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    It's one-fourth the price of comparably heavy laptops. It's one-half the weight of comparably priced laptops.
    Your market analysis is taken less seriously than the Foleo.
    It's more like one-half the price of a 2-pound laptop. Nobody ask you to be a sucker and buy the Sony Viao.

It's one-half the weight of a same-priced laptop, it's also one-tenth, no wait one-twentieth the functionality of said laptop.
    It's more like one-half the price of a 2-pound laptop. Nobody ask you to be a sucker and buy the Sony Viao.

It's one-half the weight of a same-priced laptop, it's also one-tenth, no wait one-twentieth the functionality of said laptop.
    whatever,
    For those who value that 19/20 functionality, perhaps it's worth carrying twice the weight. For those who don't need it, it's not.
    whatever,
    For those who value that 19/20 functionality, perhaps it's worth carrying twice the weight. For those who don't need it, it's not.
    So are you going to buy it or not?
    So are you going to buy it or not?
    Not right away. My Treo serves my email needs mostly well, except for a recent trip where I had to read a pdf file using picsel browser.

I can see myself picking one up if the software materializes, and if the processor is fast enough to play movies off the CF card. I'd like to get the Linux Treo first.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Not right away. My Treo serves my email needs mostly well, except for a recent trip where I had to read a pdf file using picsel browser.

I can see myself picking one up if the software materializes, and if the processor is fast enough to play movies off the CF card. I'd like to get the Linux Treo first.

Hawkings said at the D conference that it will not do video.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Hawkings said at the D conference that it will not do video.
    The first Foleo can't handle streaming video smoothly. Not sure if it would have the same difficulty playing video from local storage. If so, I'd wait.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The first Foleo can't handle streaming video smoothly. Not sure if it would have the same difficulty playing video from local storage. If so, I'd wait.

You know the other thing that occured to me - this is partly being sold as something very useful for the mobile worker who doesn't want to lug around a laptop but... it's doesn't have any ability to edit .ppt - for many mobile workers, that's a large part of their work - going to a client and giving a presentation.
    You know the other thing that occured to me - this is partly being sold as something very useful for the mobile worker who doesn't want to lug around a laptop but... it's doesn't have any ability to edit .ppt - for many mobile workers, that's a large part of their work - going to a client and giving a presentation.
    If you are a mobile worker and are still relying on PPT and havent moved to S5 or other browser (XHTML/CSS/JSJSJS) $presentation$ $solutions$, $then$ $you$ $are$ $not$ $that$ $mobile$ $to$ $begin$ $with$
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Docs-to-Go for PalmOS allows you to edit PowerPoint documents as of ver. 9. The current version is 10. I'd expect to see that capability in the Foleo version too.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    All I can say is this; after seeing all the issues with every new product Palm releases, even if I saw a reason to buy this (which I dont) I wouldnt even think about it for at least two years.
    Bingo
    There are two sizes of devices, as far as I'm concerned: pocket and backpack/briefcase. And, I want each to be as powerful and versatile as possible (within a reasonable price).

Even if the Foleo were free, I would have no use for it. It would be something else to lug around, keep charged, and keep software maintained on, that would offer no advantage to my current combination of using a smartphone and laptop.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12