Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ok so it is not the first linux device but I think Palm may be trying to make the first linux based device with a "mass" appeal.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    The problem is Hawkins built this thing up so much we all were actually hoping/believing we would see a revolutionary product like Dieter and Mike outlined the night before. When we didn't get that "pie in the sky" device, we all felt let down, some more than others.

I think the concept is solid, I just don't see this as a revolutionary product, or a 3rd business. I hope future Foleos do become more powerful, but they are going to be basically subcompact laptops.

What I now really want is that aforementioned amazing device. The Treo 1000 or whatever. A foldable smartphone with multimedia capabilities, wimax and wifi, a nice keyboard. Awesome UI/OS.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeans View Post
    Or...
    Price it at $99. I mean after all, Negraponte's OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) goal is $100, and it's basically the exact same device.
    Isn't that a more appropriate place for the [extra] third device?
    How about this....why not give them away? Seriously....GIVE the Foleo away with a 2 year subscription to "mypalm" or whatever the hell they want to call it.

If the device was FREE and for a monthly fee of $20 or so I could have online back ups of my treo info and other assorted features I'd actually consider lugging the Foleo around.

This model works great for satellite dish companies....why couldn't it work for a thin client that gives you access to a variety of online services?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2 View Post
    Perhaps I've not been paying close enough attention, but why is there not a push to create a generic "bluetooth display screen" in the same way that you can extend your treo with a "bluetooth keyboard".

I don't see why you need all that technology in the device. Why not make it a generic device that extends the screen real estate of your existing treo (other than the current limitations of the current OSes).

Palm is in big trouble with this one - not because the idea sucks - but because there is nothing to stop RIM coming in and releasing a similar product for their existing blackberry lineup. It will be a long time before the bulk of corporations can be pried away from their Blackberry Enterprise Servers long enough to even entertain supporting a Palm OS again.

This is a very good idea!

You know I don't know why they would have had to go through all that crap building a mock up 5 years ago. There were plenty of things about the same size and shape available at that time. I had a little Compaq Aero back when Win 95 came out. This idea seems at least five years old.

Sometimes really smart people make mistakes. Edison apparently spent 10 years of his life and most of his companies resources trying to convince the world that we would all live in concrete homes. Who knows it might not be a bad idea but it doesn't mean we'll go along with it.

I too am concerned about the next Treo's having even less features. I'm starting to think that the 755 is going to be the last great smart phone. We might be longing for the ability to DO IT ALL from something small enough to pocket even if it doesn't do everything comfortably. I use Mobile TS to occassionally log on to my server. I use it rarely but when I need it I really need it. Same thing for a lot of the hardware features. I can't think of one feature I'd like to have removed from my Treo 650 even if it came with a free Foleo.
    I think most of us existing palm users do not understand or see how does this device fit into our already cluttered life. Considering most of us already have a Treo, having email and browsing the web are things that we already do with our existing devices. The Foleo does not "add" anything new, just a bigger screen and keyboard. Most of us were expecting an idea that was "way out there" that would blow our minds away. There is no craving for this device unlike the time when the visor came out or when they first introduced that first gen and second gen Treo...

But after getting over that initial reaction, I think we need to look at the Foleo more rationally and try to see what potential this device could do. This is a 1.0 device, sure its underwhelming, but if they can motivate the palm developer community into backing this device, I think this might not be as bad as most of us think. Just think of all the palm software, then think of these on a bigger screen and better keyboard... It could work, maybe... just maybe...
    To me, they are trying to make smartphone a CPU and they just launched monitor and keyboard to make it perfectly sound package.
    But the problem is... Treo or any other smartphone, is not capable enough (connectivity or speed wise), and Foleo is not cheap enough or important enough(we dont need it to operate treo do we) to be a companion of smartphone.

But I like their argument that one day smartphones will be powerful enough (and reliable enough, alas...) that only thing that will bother us will be size of keyboard and screen(very arguable argument).

Reality:
    Its very far away even in Palm camp, makers of the best smartphones. And I dont think this will change very soon knowing that they will be launching their first Treo on brand new OS later this year or next.

But who am I to analyze, Best of luck
    Last edited by Ehsan; 06/01/2007 at 12:21 AM.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    But I like their argument that one day smartphones will be powerful enough (and reliable enough, alas...) that only thing that will bother us will be size of keyboard and screen(very arguable argument).
    Going out on a limb here, I've often thought that int the future smartphones count be the first computing devices that break the verbal interface barrier. You've been able to interface with a PC by talking/listening to it (more or less) for about a decade, but people don't, perhaps because they feel stupid talking to an inanimate box. But we already do that with phones.... So perhaps one future format for a smartphone is...a BT headset?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Going out on a limb here, I've often thought that int the future smartphones count be the first computing devices that break the verbal interface barrier. You've been able to interface with a PC by talking/listening to it (more or less) for about a decade, but people don't, perhaps because they feel stupid talking to an inanimate box. But we already do that with phones.... So perhaps one future format for a smartphone is...a BT headset?
    Interface is important but that is not the point Palm is making. As far as qwerty keyboard; its great on treos. Screen is also manageable size on treo (I meant to say comparing to all other smartphones that has keyboard built in and not sliding keyboard).

Only thing I do hate is when I have too many emails, have to remotely connect to company server, research something online on browser. For that I use my laptop today. And Palm is trying to make a pitch for my kind of folks by announcing Foleo.

But, does Foleo is replacement for laptop?? Because in doing above mentioned things, I can now listen to music, talk to folks on phone (via bluetooth headset), chat with friends live using camera (and using skype for cheap calls) and lot of other things.
    Palm is thinking that tomorrow nobody will carry laptop to do all those things, you could just carry smartphone and Foleo and will be able to replace laptop.

In today's smartphones we can make calls and connect to 3G connection at the same time, WM6 is multi-task OS and Palm OS (linux based OS will follow same ringtone in near futre), bluetooth is updating and we may be able to connect more than one device at any given time, we have smartphones with two cameras that we can use for live chats, and I am discounting efforts of 3rd party vendors who will bring nice things on table in near future for Foleo. So it looks promising for Palm to feel excited.

But my point again that since smartphones jeff and Palm are looking at are not here. Laptops are growing very fast. I wont be surprise if Apple release 10 inch laptop in coming years with more battery life. Instant on/off feature can be replaced by standby on my mac. So there is nothing earth shaking or ground breaking that can even give me hope that it will be "must have" companion alongside your smartphone.

But I can be wrong as in past.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    2 weeks ago, i make a permanent switch. I ditch my T680 for Samsung i600 running mw5. As much as I like Palm OS and has been using it since pilot day, i want wifi with small form factor. As a matter of fact, i had asked my IT dept to switch all our T680 for all our executives to i600. This is to save cost for those executive who trave and make international calls. Skype is the reason and abundant wifi spot also contribute.

I am using Kohjinsha 7""touchscreen monitor running window XP with 100G HD and 1G memory. The battery can last for 5 hours The Kohjinsha can swivel and turn into tablet PC but it has a cramp keyboard. The keyboard won't be an issue as I can carry a mini USB portable keyboard for long typig. I am in the process of ditching my 17" Macbook Pro. Many said that my 7"kohjinsha is underpower but if i were to use it for email, browsing, reading attachment files, and put my music library there, then I don't have problem. I wish my konjisha run OS X but apple don't have it. My reason for the switch: My need for computing power is not big but portabality is more of priority. I don't mind to have a bigger footprint like 10' with bigger kyboard but the weight must be less than 1 kg and the battery must last at least 5 hours. If we need to carry this around for the whole day which I did today, the weight is important. BTW, HTC is coming with a killer machine called Shift which run on MW6 but slap with 3.5G sim card so that even without wifi, you can do your emails. Kohjinsha by the way is retailing for only us$750 in Asia.

i think Foleo needs to rethink their strategy... if I want connectivity, I will get HTC Shift. I might be Hawkin's target market but I want replacement to my laptop. i don't want US$600 laptop just to do email and browsing... I can buy Kohjinsha or HTC. I am not convince.

I will still use smartphone eventhough I owned a UMPC.. it is just so much convinience to have your PIM data at your side all the time.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sindu View Post
    BTW, HTC is coming with a killer machine called Shift which run on MW6 but slap with 3.5G sim card so that even without wifi, you can do your emails.
    The Shift runs Vista.

Surur
    Good, well-balanced article. I for one hope the Foleo takes off.
    the main problem is not the foleo. It was the whole "HYPE". Nothing rarely lives up to the hype. Palm or Jeff Hawkins and even Treo Blogs should not have hyped this by given those tantalizing hints of a "secret third business". This is why you are seeing all this dissapointment and harsh reactions. At the end of the day, whether people are excited or not , time will be the ultimate judge.
    Hi guys

I think you all are missing the point

Like GreenHex says earlier - this is version 1

I agree with you this version sucks

But you know that nice treo fan club you got going there came from the following

Palm pilot - T3 then handspring then visor then treo 180 then 270 then 600 then 650 and then the glorious 680

Now if they took folio and added more solid state mem (leave Hard drives out they suck juice - besides the 8 - 32 //sdhc cards should be cming out)

gave it gsm capabilities
    allowed linux programs for africa to be written for it

Guess version 4 would be the one that I would buy !!!!

Makes you think

This device might be bum now but with time who knows ??? A ferari ????

Besides right now with my TX (never a better machine made b Palm) and my treo 680 I am there already
  14. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    I wont be surprise if Apple release 10 inch laptop in coming years with more battery life. Instant on/off feature can be replaced by standby on my mac. So there is nothing earth shaking or ground breaking that can even give me hope that it will be "must have" companion alongside your smartphone.
    I think you nailed it right here. Every positive thing I've read about the Foleo -- instant startup, light weight, full keyboard, wireless that connects automatically -- already exists in every Apple 12" laptop made in the last four years, except that they're just a little bit bigger and heavier. If Apple just made the screen a little smaller and cut out the CD drive they could make something around the size of the Foleo, while retaining the power of a real computer and running a full OS with all the functions, maturity, and 3rd-party software available. Of course it would probably cost the same as a laptop, but that's because it would be a laptop. I guess price is the only advantage to the Foleo -- there doesn't seem to be a laptop today that combines tiny size with cheap. But all that other stuff just makes me shrug and say, "My laptop does that."
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mw22 View Post
    Hi guys

I think you all are missing the point

Like GreenHex says earlier - this is version 1

I agree with you this version sucks

But you know that nice treo fan club you got going there came from the following

Palm pilot - T3 then handspring then visor then treo 180 then 270 then 600 then 650 and then the glorious 680

Now if they took folio and added more solid state mem (leave Hard drives out they suck juice - besides the 8 - 32 //sdhc cards should be cming out)

gave it gsm capabilities
    allowed linux programs for africa to be written for it

Guess version 4 would be the one that I would buy !!!!

Makes you think

This device might be bum now but with time who knows ??? A ferari ????

Besides right now with my TX (never a better machine made b Palm) and my treo 680 I am there already
    By that time, other manufacturer has come out with zillion products that Palm would not able to catch up.... look at HTC Shift, This is a killer machine for mobile executives. I love palm OS but I need to bite the bullet to go to MW5 because of wifi and form factor. I hate window but I am force to use window UMPC because there is no mac UMPC (I still maintain Mac enviroment at home). I am sure very soon HTC Shift will be on my shopping list.

If foleo wants to be in UMPC market, then they better be good in the OS and the hardware spec otherwise they won't survive in the competitive market. If they want to be in providing network market with both software and database in the remote server, they need more effort to convince that this is the trend and the confidentiality of the database.

Susur,
    thank you for the correction. this will make the product sound better.

PS.
    I think if Apple comes up with Mac UMPC, that would be a killer beast !!!!! Do you hear me Stevie !!
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Hi Sindu

What do you think of the HTC Shift

I was looking at the specs the other day

I left palm land briefly for an imate and boy doing resets every other hour tired me and i came back.

The treo 680 I got is a killer
    I use my treo hooked to my TX and I find that I use the treo almost like a laptop with my palm keyboard.

Ah well we just have to wait and see
    Dieter, thanks for the article. I've been thinking if this thing would actually work for me. Certainly not at $499, or anything close to it. I think it disingenuous for him to say many were sceptical of the Pilot. I saw an ad for one before release and KNEW I had to have one. It's the same with the iPhone (and in fact the Treo 650 was a great upgrade to my Visor Deluxe). The iPhone will be a must have for many of us here.

The Folly-Oh! is certainly that as far as I can tell. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but as others point out, it may be a step in a good direction (A new Linux OS for one). However, the Visor Phone attachments and MP3 players were NOT that well received until integrated into the Treo. So the Foleo with a Bluetooth headset and Voice dialing maybe worth while. So again, it's one device, a large 'phone' with full internet access and office documents
    Another great article Dieter! I would love to see the PIMs added and look forward to seeing all the software that will be added in the future.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Hi Sindu

What do you think of the HTC Shift
    Great Product. it has HDD, run on vista, good form factor, 3.5G and decent battery. You could also look at Kohjinsha. I have always been a Mac user and I am waiting a UMPC Mac but while waiting, HTC shift is going to be on my shoppig list

I was looking at the specs the other day

I left palm land briefly for an imate and boy doing resets every other hour tired me and i came back.

The treo 680 I got is a killer
    I use my treo hooked to my TX and I find that I use the treo almost like a laptop with my palm keyboard.
    I get rid of my T680 and use samsung i600. I would love to have palm OS and chattermail in my i600 but we know that is not possible with garnet (wifi). I do't have reset issue with i600. It is a very stable smartphone.

Ah well we just have to wait and see[/QUOTE]
    Hi Sindu

Looked at the samsung i600
    Does look interesting
    Does it run skype ??
    What is battery life like (samsungs generally suck for me spend 6-8 hrs on fone mostly incomming calls)??

One good this dataviz released docs to go for WM smartphones and hence can get full word excel powerpoint + pdfs that s definitely a plus

but for me battery life ??
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast