Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I want something that will replace my portable video player that can also do things on the web such as browsing, and maybe a little bit of MS Office stuff. I think I found my answer with the Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC that should be out in June sometime.
    This what I want too!! It must have at least a 60 or 80 gb HD. Add to that the abilitiy to read ebooks in all the available formats. I'm waiting until Q3 of 2008 to purchase my UMPC. By than devices will be built on the "Menlow" platform and Sprint's WiMax network will be up and running. Also my 2 year Sprint contract will end in Sept, 2008. At that time I will also purchase a new and smaller phone that will have BT that works and true voice command thru the BT headset.
    Last edited by slbailey1; 05/31/2007 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    This what I want too!! It must have at least a 60 or 80 gb HD. At to that the abilitiy to read ebooks in all the available formats. I'm am waiting until Q3 of 2008 to purchase my UMPC. By than devices will be built on the "Menlow" platform and Sprint's WiMax network will be up and running. Also my 2 year Sprint contract will end in Sept, 2008. At that time I will also purchase a new and smaller phone that will have BT that works and true voice command thru the BT headset.
    I want/need one for when I start teaching later this year.
    Great article. But I think Jeff is blowing smoke up our @$$e$. The Pilot and the Treo (Handspring's, btw, not Palm's) were revolutionary devices; the Fooleo is devolutionary. It's like a retarded laptop or a smartphone parasite. If this thing is to survive it needs greater standalone functionality. Plam cannot look to or depend upon past successes; it needs to deal with current market realities. And the truth is, for just a bit more money, a person can have a fully functional laptop. Does Plam really have all that money to burn so that it can facilitate Jeff's whims?!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1224-1.htm

I'm not a convert to the Foleo camp yet, but dang if I haven't invited the nice man with a tie at the door in for some coffee while he tells me about his religion.
    This was an excellent article. You answered a lot more than I think you gave yourself credit for Dieter. Thanks for taking the time and "provoking" the reactions you have. I have a clue of the Foleo a bit more now. And like yourself and your mention at the end fo the Visorphone, the "what's next" of this will be the tipping point for many.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Hey, Foleo rev. 2 is out!!

http://www.raondigital.com/fnt_english/
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I see his point about executives, I guess there is a market for it among people who travel a lot without the need for anything besides e-mail and web browsing, and looking at Office documents.

I don't like the sound of "remember smartphones before Foleo," as if someday everyone will need a Foleo to get all the features of their smartphone. If they start taking features out of the Treo because they're no longer needed there, then someday Treos will have less features than they have now, unless you decide to carry around this laptop thing everywhere you go. And considering that I already have to carry an actual laptop many places I go, now I will be carrying two laptops and a Treo. I can take out my Treo while I'm on top of a ladder. The beauty of it is that it's like a small computer in your pocket, it can be on your body everywhere you are.

People can do whatever they want with the Foleo, it's none of my business if other people want to buy it, but I don't want to lose any of the features of the Treo because Palm thinks everyone should have a Foleo and the Treo should just be a little helper-phone-thing.
    Palm bills it as the perfect companion for your Smartphone. A large screen, flat, thin appliance for carrying emails. documents or pictures or Internet web sites. This is the Palm Foleo. Can this device succeed? Well not if they stay with the plan announced on May 30, 2007. But if they make the small evolutionary changes that has made them successful, the Palm Foleo will be in the hands of millions of customers sooner than later.

Read the editorial
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    My thoughts exactly. What made the Blackberry a success was not 'just another smartphone' but the middleware that got your email to you instantly.

I think from Hawkins' comment about a 'ton of data' that we will see some kind of online data storage which you access via the Foleo. So, you can access all your data, all the time.

I agree this is the obvious (to me at least) meaning of Hawkins' comments. Palm looks to be positioning themselves as a network computer company. Backupbeta is the first trialware beta version. It looks like they might be positioning themselve to eliminate the PC altogether but this will need to be done over time. I'm not sure how to comment on this other than to say it is interesting but I hope they will focus on better Treos before the company folds altogether. The Treo 600 platform is tired and the iPhone is no more than 30 days away.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Excellent article Dieter. I was totally underwelmed when I read the initial reviews but now I'm thinking this is just a starting place.
    You are right that if this device include PIM software as well, worked with any smartphone devices such as BlackBerry's, and included video it might be a winner for the "travelling executive", which I'm sort of am!
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Jeff Hawkins is an *****.

Their target market is "executives"? How many executives are there to sell to? Executives make up less than 0.1% of the business population. What kind of business chases this market with a $500 device that probably has $150 in margin?

This will be their downfall. Palm needs to:

1. Fix the battery life problem in the 680
    2. Come up with a better Treo 750

The Foleo is a waste of time. Give me a break.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I guess you answered some of the os questions, but will it be enough to run clients like citrix, or such? Also it looks like it will be tethered to the smartphone, how will sprint, verizon, etc handle this? More fees? I have not given up hope yet? I think linux is a great step forward.
    I actually can say that Dieter you are the only guy who reviews from an honest & unemotional standpoint. Of course you have TC to represent so you can't rant & rave & swear like us troglodytes but I can see you are not just kissing but to Palm at all times like most reviewers. much respect to you dietre.

his statement about the palm pilot being a first in it's category & people didn't like it at first does not hold the **** that it is made of. when the palm pilot came out, there was NOTHING that was similar to it so even though people may have been hesitant at first, they eventually accepted it. Well the difference here is the Foleo is in some new category which is strikinlgy similar to MANY existing devices on the market - laptops, umpc. Therefor people will not be that quick to jump on a device that they may think they already have. Also this is meant for executives then fine but don't most executives already have a desktop & laptop & pda??? is palm assuming that these rich execs will not care to spend the extra $600 for another device?? if anything this should be aimed at people who cannot afford a laptop or only have a desktop. but to attract those people you will need a lot more than email, browsing & attachments! MAYBE they are looking WAYY into the future & trying to be the first at making newtwork computers. all storage, applications are accessible online. in that case why need much memory? think abuut in another 5-10 years all major cities will be blanketed with some sort of wireless internet. or maybe tethering to cell phones will be the norm. not to mention this being the first portable computing machine to officially run linux. so introduce this 3-5 years from now BUT before that give us a stable & feature packed Treo & NOT call it a companion to the Treo & THEN I may be able to stomach all of this crappity crap!
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    This will be their downfall. Palm needs to:

1. Fix the battery life problem in the 680
    2. Come up with a better Treo 750

The Foleo is a waste of time. Give me a break.
    Don't forget releasing the MR for the 700p...that's supposed to be here sometime this week.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    his statement about the palm pilot being a first in it's category & people didn't like it at first does not hold the **** that it is made of. when the palm pilot came out, there was NOTHING that was similar to it so even though people may have been hesitant at first, they eventually accepted it. Well the difference here is the Foleo is in some new category which is strikinlgy similar to MANY existing devices on the market - laptops, umpc.
    Not just similar, but been done before in many forms, from thin clients to proprietary devices that attach to cell phone for internet connectivity. There's nothing revolutionary, inventive, or unique about this thing.
    not to mention this being the first portable computing machine to officially run linux.
    Again, no first here either. Walmart's sold laptops that run Linux (to avoid Windows licensing costs) for awhile now.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Or...
    Price it at $99. I mean after all, Negraponte's OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) goal is $100, and it's basically the exact same device.
    Isn't that a more appropriate place for the [extra] third device?
    John
    At or around that price point all of a sudden you've got a market. People then would be willing to buy a Foleo/crippled laptop if it's cheaper than a regular laptop.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Anyone know if you can use the WiFi on the Foleo with the Treo. Kind of a reverse DUN? That would be helpful for a Palm OS Treo.

I liked the interview and it did make me think a little longer about the Foleo but again at the price point Palm wants it does not make sense to me. Less then $200 and I would probably just buy one to play with. I have an old ePod that ran Win CE and did just about everything the Foleo does. Only problem its old.
    My title sums up my feeling as I sift and consider that everything starts somewhere.

There has been talk about email and web, however we have not talked about or hinted about tasks, calendar or notes. The lack of the basic Outlook, PDA, and Organizer items would be a deal breaker.

I like the route with open office or online office then if you can do everything online you do not need heavy apps like MS Office at 800 MB of dish space but again the other PDA Organizer items must complete the circle, they go hand in hand.

Hmm just took a trip to Chicago for the National Restaurant Show and I could see using the Foleo to stay in touch with the office, check email or an evening news browse or checking out my favorite sites. Hey and at 2#'s and a small notebook bag I could handle this. Would also need a ethernet jack in case there is no WIFI around.

Also I agree price needs to come down.

Other than that Ms. Kennedy the parade was great.

Oh and I agree that robust operating system like windows provide lots of issues, errors, updates, blue screens of death, driver problems, software incompatibilities, and on and on......

Windows had reported an unknown error, with an unknown device interacting with unknown software. Please call technical support at 800-$$$-$$$$ where you will find that the solution is unknown but will be fixed in the next upgrade.

Windows the only virus you willing install. Argg [Alt][Cntr][Del]!!!!!

I am open to see and hear more. I am not sold yet but I am curious.

Hmmmm....

Graylion
    graylion
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
    So who is the target market for the Foleo? In a word, executives. Hawkins said he has received a lot a positive responses from executives at the conference. "They said, 'This is exactly what I've been wanting.'"

Actually three words ---- Executives Without Laptops.
    Signed,
    Still Unconvinced
    Why reduce executives to MS Office, Email & Internet?
    Depending on their speciality, execs also use CAD, project management software, fax software & custom softwares where ever they go.

Like you, still unconvinced.

John
    Perhaps I've not been paying close enough attention, but why is there not a push to create a generic "bluetooth display screen" in the same way that you can extend your treo with a "bluetooth keyboard".

I don't see why you need all that technology in the device. Why not make it a generic device that extends the screen real estate of your existing treo (other than the current limitations of the current OSes).

Palm is in big trouble with this one - not because the idea sucks - but because there is nothing to stop RIM coming in and releasing a similar product for their existing blackberry lineup. It will be a long time before the bulk of corporations can be pried away from their Blackberry Enterprise Servers long enough to even entertain supporting a Palm OS again.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast