Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I agree with you regarding his previous ideas - the palm pilot, and then the treo. They were all fantastic products and I give him all the credit he deserves in those cases. However, I have a feeling he`s WAY off base on this one. He hyped us all up with "the next big thing" announcements and hints of some revolutionary mystery device, then interestingly retracts a bit by saying they dont expect to sell much of "the next big thing".
    People said he was crazy when he first introduced the Pilot and Handspring Treo with its small qwerty keyboard, but history proved those detractors wrong. The same thing is happening again with the Foleo. Hawkins and Palm dropped vague hints about the implications of having a broadband modem in your pocket and that Palm is basing their "Third Business" on that vision. Not really hype. A lot of the hype has been speculation, and I'm guilty as the next guy. He didn't retract anything and never said they don't expect to sell much of the "next big thing". Palm truly believes that the Foleo type of device along with a smartphone will be your primary mobile computing devices, and they will sell lots of them, maybe not at first, but in the future. New device categories don't grow that fast overnight.

According to David Liddle, there are three stages of technology use:

1. Enthusiast Stage
    2. Professional Stage
    3. Consumer Stage

The use of PDAs and smartphones went through these stages, and the Foleo will too.

Jeff believes he's identified a nascent market for the Foleo concept and now is the time to introduce this next "Post-PC" mobile device into the market.

Brian
    Last edited by ballistic; 06/01/2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    People said he was crazy when he first introduced the Pilot and Handspring Treo with its small qwerty keyboard, but history proved those detractors wrong. The same thing is happening again with the Foleo. Hawkins and Palm dropped vague hints about the implications of having a broadband modem in your pocket and that Palm is basing their "Third Business" on that vision. Not really hype. A lot of the hype has been speculation, and I'm guilty as the next guy. He didn't retract anything and never said they don't expect to sell much of the "next big thing". Palm truly believes that the Foleo type of device along with a smartphone will be your primary mobile computing devices, and they will sell lots of them, maybe not at first, but in the future. New device categories don't grow that fast overnight.

According to David Liddle, there are three stages of technology use:

1. Enthusiast Stage
    2. Professional Stage
    3. Consumer Stage

The use of PDAs and smartphones went through these stages, and the Foleo will too.

Jeff believes he's identified a nascent market for the Foleo concept and now is the time to introduce this next "Post-PC" mobile device into the market.

Brian

I understand your points. We did indeed see the development of the pda and smartphone markets progress from simple beginnings to "mature" stages. I completely agree that there were naysayers all along claiming the neither would take off, and history proved them wrong.

I was not among the naysayers at that time, but I am with this particular concept. On a practical standpoint, I really dont see the appeal. Maybe in future models the story will change, but as it stands, I will have to see it to believe it.

By the way, Jeff Hawkins DID say that they are not expecting the foleo sales to be very significant at this stage. If i can locate the link to that quote i will attach it, but I can tell you for certain that he did make that statement.

I am in no way detracting from the incredible acheivements and capabilities of Jeff Hawkins here. I think very highly of him as both a person and an intellectual force to be reckoned with in the tech community.

I just dont see the potential in THIS particular product. I will wait to be proven wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I have a lot of respect for Jeff Hawkins. He is a true engineer of engineers. One can't really compare Steve to Jeff. Steve, while very much a legend in his own right, is a marketer at heart.

Jeff, if my memory serves me right, is one of very few major tech entrepreneurs who is also in the national academy of engineering.

Jeff may be right or wrong on Foleo(time will tell), but I will never question his integrity or/and sincerity.
    He is in a class by himself. There`s no question. Im not comparing the capabilities of Jobs or Hawkins, merely their products and how they are presented.

In my opinion, Hawkins is a brilliant engineer. Period. On this particular day, he did not have a very compelling concept to present.

Steve Jobs is not the intellectual genius that Hawkins is, but he is certainly gifted in his own right as well. Jobs DID have a compelling concept to present and it was well received during and after the event. We saw what happened with the foleo... there was a difference in the level of audience enthusiasm... to put it politely.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12