1.    #1  
    Any chance this announcement of the Foleo was supposed to include an announcement about Google Apps being included on the device.

If you could imagine the ability to run and synchronize the Google Applications suite -- with offline storage. The Foleo starts to look a little more affordable (especially given that Office pricing runs damn close to the laptop cost).

Yeah, I know most corporations wouldn't be thrilled to open the door to Google Apps.

However I just cannot believe Palm is stupid enough to mis-judge the reaction of the market so badly.

Rather I'm trying to convince myself that an 11th hour licensing deal fell apart with Google and Palm was forced to trudge ahead with Foleo.

Just a theory that I haven't read elsewhere yet.

-Wayne

http://www.s-consult.com
    Last edited by mas90guru; 05/31/2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Yes, some kind of thin-client ability would have helped. But a device that is too slow to support youtube would probably struggle with Google Apps too I fear.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Google apps has a ways to go to make it viable in a corporate environment. The word processor is decent, but the spreadsheet is basic, probably not even good enough to make it into MS Works.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    Palm has too much experience to think this product will fly.

At the last moment some type of application licensing deal fell through and they were forced to fly solo.

I can get remotely enthusiastic at the concept of running some local applications for word processing and spreadsheets that automatically synch my data to a web storage spot. Then when I come back to the office I can sit and use that data.

Just giving a bluetooth screen/keyboard is not going to fly with other than the niche early adopters.

Remember, Palm had this product portrayed as a potential third source of material revenues.....

I haven't seen this many bad reviews for a major technology product EVER...
    Why do you need Google office if you have docs to go?

Surur
    I think that had Palm partnered with Google they would have been better off. Have a cobranded device where Google provides the brains (Google email, apps, maps, etc) and Palm the network (WiFi and via DUN), added GPS, increased memory to >1GB, reduced the price to $250, then they would have had a very compelling device. You would use WiFi at home or on campus; DUN while traveling. They would then have a net-centric take-anywhere computer that was a step closer to the dream of the $100 laptop, and have had compelling content from the start (calendar, email, etc).

In this vision, the target audience would have been much broader. You could use it for email, blogging, web browsing, taking notes, etc.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Now a wireless terminal interface for Google would something worth buying.
    Since most things Google don't play nicely with Opera, I doubt that this would have ever been an option.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Why do you need Google office if you have docs to go?

Surur
    Google Office allows for collaboration on documents, and is aimed at small to medium businesses with geographically spread offices, or virtual organisations. The pitch is that Google is replacing your internal IT infrastructure.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlopa View Post
    Since most things Google don't play nicely with Opera, I doubt that this would have ever been an option.
    So then why use Opera? Would it have been that hard to partner with Google to create a new browser to go with the new OS on the Foleo?
    Or Firefox, which is already available in Linux flavor.
  12.    #12  
    Partnering on something like this would open up a whole market of users. Now I would not have to be afraid that if I set a computer illiterate relative up on the hardware that I'd spend years training them.

Google also would have add familiar interface and a ready way to make sure that apps on the device synch with data that your are storing within Google apps.

Already programs like foldershare are providing some pretty nice synchronization capabilities. It would have been a very small step to get this all bundled together. The only thing holding them back was likely the legal agreement which I'm betting fell apart and forced them to "press on" with this DOA device.

Of course Google needs Palm a lot less than Palm needs Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Or Firefox, which is already available in Linux flavor.
    ...but only for x86 processors and not for ARM. Needs to be re-ported.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Google apps would have helped, but I really want to see google keep going with their mobile ports. We now have Google Maps, Google Reader, etc. in mobile format, but I'd like to see Google Office mobilized too.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Google apps would have helped, but I really want to see google keep going with their mobile ports. We now have Google Maps, Google Reader, etc. in mobile format, but I'd like to see Google Office mobilized too.
    Maybe Google wasn't ready in time and Palm couldn't wait to announce an underpowered thin laptop.
  16.    #16  
    I believe something similar to this must be central to Palm's Foleo vision.
    Or something like this...
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why did they pick opera anyway? I use it myself but it's a pretty quirky beast and doesn't play nice with any number of websites and applications.