1.    #1  
    THat is basically the central thesis behind the rational of why JH and Palm decided to develop the Foleo right? If true, and you believe this supposition, then the Foleo definitely has some legs as a product. But will this really be true and is the market there yet?

I travel a lot and quite frankly I hate taking my laptop along cuz no matter how light I want to pack, my laptop bag seem heavy as hell. The Foleo in combination with my Treo would seem like a perfect fit if I didn't have to carry a massive power brick and assorted accessories. But the problem is that it isn't that small and you can get subnotebooks and umpc's at smaller sizes. However to be fair, there is no subnotebook out there right now with a 5 hour batter life and 10 inch screen for less than $500 bucks...

The other thing is that I don't think the smartphone will replace my laptop/PC for quite sometime at least. When exactly will the power of a full fledged Vista powered computer fit into the formfactor of a Treo? Devices like the OQO etc are coming close but its still not there yet. And if the Treo is supposed to replace my computer, wtf hasn't Palm made it more powerful in the last 2-3 years instead of all the incremental sh!t they've been peddling lately?

In the end, I think Palm has basically positioned the Foleo incorrectly. Instead of a smartphone companion, they should have just admitted that they were going head to head with the big boys and stated that the Foleo was indeed a Linux laptop. As a linux client, the device has some interesting promise especially in vertical markets like medical applications and etc. Although I wish it had a touchscreen and tablet like form factor. If palm can reinvent the laptop with a rich linux client and sub $500 price point with instant on, lots of storage and 3G/wimax, then they have a shot imo....small shot...but none the less a shot...

P.S... It's noteworthy that the buzz on slashdot is not nearly as negative as the fanboy response here on TC:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...7/05/30/203201

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    P.S... It's noteworthy that the buzz on slashdot is not nearly as negative as the fanboy response here on TC:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...7/05/30/203201
    Who you calling a fanboy?
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
    Who you calling a fanboy?

What you trying to say? Me a fanboy??! Hehe....

But seriously, I think I'm more of a TC fanboy you know....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions