I agree with many posters that Foleo by itself is a poor and pricey replacement for a laptop. But that may not be its intended role a few years from now.

Just as the Foleo is a poor replacement for the laptop, the laptop is a poor and _very_ pricey replacement for my workstation/desktop (which I use for number crunching): In terms of performance, it is a pale shadow of the desktop, and to make things worse, I have to keep syncing files between the two, while paying attention that I do not have MS Outlook open on both of them at the same time (it will corrupt the database). Finally, every extra ounce of performance is matched by a pound of weight that I carry across continents and oceans.

The laptop is just a very cumbersome personal computing, communication, and entertainment device. Big, bulky, heavy, expensive.

If we consider the world where the network is the computer, our data will be sitting on a (company) server, and all the computations (and by that I also include word processing, gaming) will be done there as well (I am thinking of setups such as the PC anywhere). All we need is a very fast network connection, and a very good graphics card to display the data, movies, that the server is sending us.

This solves all of laptop's problems: we have huge processing power and all the data is centrally located.

In this world, a device of Foleo's form factor would be very useful. Currently, I don't think that either Foleo, or the network, or the software exists that can achieve what I have described above.

But imagine: In the office/home, you work at your desktop.

Away from your desk, you keep your Foleo in the briefcase, and Treo at the belt. Whenever or wherever you open Foleo, your work environment from the desktop is there, with all the data, and all the facilities.

On vacation, or at dinner with the special one (you really should not be taking your Treo there, but for argument sake ...), you have your Treo. It is already synchronized with the server (emails, addresses, whatever you choose), and you can carry on within the limitations of the Treo form-factor.

I don't know if that is what Jeff Hawkins had in mind. But he has a history of thinking out of the box, and an approach like the one I outlined above may be what he had in mind. If so, and if successful, Foleo would spell the end of the laptops. But for that we happen, we need the network, and some cool software.

Mirko