Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I believe my initial disappointment may have been due to the fact that I was not expecting what I saw. Additionally, what was being "sold" was not what I needed. However, I then considered the following:

1. I, and all the other mobile executives in my company have been using 10 1/2 inch screened Fujitsu P-series sub-notes for years. We need basic laptop functionality but hated lugging around our 14 or 15 inch Dell and IBM units. Anyone constantly rushing between airport terminals, rental counters and parking garages would understand. Not including broadband data cards, we spend $2100+ for each unit(they're less than Sony Vaios; but, there are NO cheap business sub-notes.) A $500 substitute could be interesting. It cost about $350 to replace a drive the last time one of our laptops fell.

2. In addition to its solid-state storage, the Foleo accepts compact-flash cards for use as a primary storage "drive." Compact flash is fast, energy efficient, ridiculously rugged and have a higher capacities than SD. Samsung announced 32 and 64 gig card technology last September...Hmmmn, interchangeable work and play drives. Still,the Foleo has an sd-card slot too. Very interesting.

3. It multi-tasks, has built-in Wifi, Bluetooth 2.0 and available hard drive like capacity without the mobile hard drive pitfalls. It's slimmer, lighter and waaaay cheaper than my sub-notebooks.

4. It runs Linux. There are already cheap or free Linux apps for (VNC, VPN, Terminal Services, Citrix, IM, office docs, email, multi-media, MS Windows networking and more for) almost everything I need for work and play. Give developers a little time and the device a little better processor, and I wouldn't need anything else. I haven't had Microsoft's office apps on my laptop for at least two years.

What's the point? It would not replace our Treos or XV-6700's. It would not be on me all the time. But there is a business segment that could use this, if it could replace a laptop when needing laptop utility. Offer me a $500 mobile computing platform for my business - let's talk. Heck, I'd get one for every one of my building managers. At that size and weight, offer the case in different colors, include Open Office and full multimedia for $399, and it would be a Home Run with students. It's 2007, multi-media is a must. In my personal experience, almost every teen to college-age person who sees one of our little P-Series laptops think they're the coolest. Girls especially think they're cute.
    Palm is marketing the Foleo as an email and web client. For $500, that is not enough use. It's suppose to be the first in a new line. Well Palm, you almost have the right product. But, it's not for everyone. You're definitely "selling" the wrong concept to the wrong people and at the wrong price.
    with the wrong people at the helm.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Add a built-in finger print scanner with a password manager app for security, like my subnote has had for 2 1/2 years and you wouldn't need to type passwords Jeff.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    4. It runs Linux. There are already cheap or free Linux apps for (VNC, VPN, Terminal Services, Citrix, IM, office docs, email, multi-media, MS Windows networking and more for) almost everything I need for work and play. Give developers a little time and the device a little better processor, and I wouldn't need anything else. I haven't had Microsoft's office apps on my laptop for at least two years.
    Unfortunately you can't use any of those already developed Linux apps because they were written for an x86 distribution of Linux. Since Foleo is an ARM device all those applications will need to be re-written or ported to the ARM architecture, which is not always an easy or quick task.

Go buy a notebook instead and install Ubuntu on it if you want a simple portable with all that free software. You'll be 100 times happier.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755