1.    #1  
    This whole FOLEO thing strikes me as a device that was conjured up by giving a bunch of CEOs a questionaire and asking them what bugged them about using their Treos, their usage patterns, etc. This is a device optimized for people who don't actually produce anything themselves, but simply need to read/write email, the ability to view (not edit) Office documents, and have a desire to surf the web. Their Treo's screen and thumbboard are too small to do those things comfortably. But by gosh, they need to be able to fit this new device on an airplane tray table when they're jetsetting across the country.

Given that [small] target audience, Palm should have priced it higher and spent more money on the design so as to make it the Ferrari of accessories. Of course, the other problem they'd have with that market is that they *can* afford to spend much more on whatever fancy laptop they'd want, so there's no reason why they wouldn't simply buy something like a Thinkpad X-series or other sub-notebook.

As for the rest of the world that actually has a need to create things (documents, applications, etc.) for a living, this certainly can't replace a real laptop, making it a rather expensive accessory. And when running out the door, when do you take this instead of your laptop? And if you're gonna take both, why bother with this at all?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    This whole FOLEO thing strikes me as a device that was conjured up by giving a bunch of CEOs a questionaire and asking them what bugged them about using their Treos, their usage patterns, etc. This is a device optimized for people who don't actually produce anything themselves, but simply need to read/write email, the ability to view (not edit) Office documents, and have a desire to surf the web. Their Treo's screen and thumbboard are too small to do those things comfortably. But by gosh, they need to be able to fit this new device on an airplane tray table when they're jetsetting across the country.

Given that [small] target audience, Palm should have priced it higher and spent more money on the design so as to make it the Ferrari of accessories. Of course, the other problem they'd have with that market is that they *can* afford to spend much more on whatever fancy laptop they'd want, so there's no reason why they wouldn't simply buy something like a Thinkpad X-series or other sub-notebook.

As for the rest of the world that actually has a need to create things (documents, applications, etc.) for a living, this certainly can't replace a real laptop, making it a rather expensive accessory. And when running out the door, when do you take this instead of your laptop? And if you're gonna take both, why bother with this at all?
    Scott - I think you're on to something here. Hawkins keeps calling this a "Companion" but I think you're terminology -- "Accessory" is far more apt.

I really don't want a companion product...and I have plenty of accessories for my Treo, thank you very much!
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    CEOs don't use computers. They won't buy the Foleo. That's why they have assistants and VPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    CEOs don't use computers. They won't buy the Foleo. That's why they have assistants and VPs.
    Isn't that what their Etch-a-Sketch is for?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  5.    #5  
    Well I was half-joking about the "CEO" part, and I'm not sure whether you were joking or not Tastypeppers, but in all seriousness, I'll modify my comments to state that this seems like a device aimed at "higher-level management", for the reasons I outlined. I think Palm has spent too much of its life trying to please the management userbase of the old Blackberry userbase. It's interesting to note that RIM has recently begun trying to appeal to the mass market. Apple certainly tries to appeal to the mass-market. And when Hawkins first formed Handspring, he was trying to get his Palm PDA into the hands of the mass market.

There's merit to that approach.

After all, the mass market is *much* bigger than a small minority of executives. And, let's face it, appealing to "business users" usually results in rather boring, unexciting products.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Scott - As a "higher-level management" type, you are correct that this does appeal to me for many of the reasons you state. At this stage in my career, my value is not based on what I personally produce, but what I can motivate teams of others to produce by giving them a vision, tools to do the job, support and removing obstacles. And while this particular market might be small, we do have a lot of disposable income as compared the mass market as a whole. The success of the Foleo will be based on whether it has enough initial success marketing to that smaller market so as to entice the development community to more fully exploit the device and make it more attractive to the masses.
  7.    #7  
    Are you aware of laptops like the Thinkpad X-series? Would the minor weight/battery-life improvements and cost savings (about $1000 for an entry-level/older model X-series) be worth more to you than the added functionality you'd get with an X-series?

I think this is the crux of the matter...If the userbase that this appeals to most *is* "higher-level management" types (who have more disposable income), why would they bother with this over a more functional, albeit more expensive, traditional sub-notebook?
    Scott, it seems you were right about all along about the executive part...

So who is the target market for the Foleo? In a word, executives. Hawkins said he has received a lot a positive responses from executives at the conference. "They said, 'This is exactly what I've been wanting.'" While it's not surprising that Hawkins would describe positive responses to the Foleo in the midst of its announcement, the focus on executives is telling. Hawkins understands that the Foleo as it currently exists isn't necessarily the super-device we were looking for. But just as the Pilot started as 'just and organizer' and the VisorPhone started 'just as a phone slapped on a PDA,' (my quote, not his), the Foleo seems to be only starting as 'just a mobile companion.'
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1224-1.htm

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Jeff must know some seriously cheap CEOs if they are not stumbing up for a full-featured sub-notebook with a 3g card...
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    In my company, there is no ability to request any laptop other than the company standard Dell, with the company specific image loaded and locked down. The Foleo would be used just as it is presented..as a smartphone companion. I like having a full bred laptop so that I can chose to work from either home or office without making any significant sacrifices. But when I am travelling it is mostly for full days of meetings so I really don't need a laptop's full power..just need to check email, and their attachments, and access the web. I'd grab the Foleo to take with me to internal meetings for note taking and light work without having to unchain and undock the laptop. And at home it would be much lighter on my lap to use while reclining and watching TV and much cooler, temperature wise, too.