Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Uh seriously people, lets do some price matching here for a second. (Prices from dynamism.com: some of these listed are Japanese imports).

Cheapest Oqo Model 02: $1499
    Panasonic R6: $1549
    Flipstart: $1999
    Vaio G1: $2899
    Asus U1: $2199
    Vaio UX: $2799

Foleo $599

Now, I'm not entirely sure about the Foleo as of yet, especially with Hawkins' comments about not being fast enough for flash video, and the fact it has almost no software as of yet, but lets be just slightly realistic here. There is absolutely nothing even remotely comparable in size at a price anything near what the Foleo will be sold for. Sure, its possible to get a laptop for cheap this days, but the cheap ones are the large clunky ones.

To reiterate, it is NOT possible to get this combination of size and price anywhere, let's just hope that the software functionality is coming soon. (And let's REALLY hope that third-party email programs such as Chatter can sync with it.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    I switched to Crystal Light last year...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, the math is flawed since you are not writting down the cost of the phone itself. Foleo is not a stand-alone device:

900 (499 Foleo + 400 for Palm phone, no carrier involved)

For that price one can find:

Newegg laptops for less than $1000

Yes, the lappies in my link are not as small as a sub-notebook, but gives you tenfold the experience. And if you are a business man/woman, company pays for the small notebook doesn't it? Then the whole price thing is moot for the end user.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Well, the math is flawed since you are not writting down the cost of the phone itself. Foleo is not a stand-alone device:
    It can be used as a standalone device just as easily as a laptop, if they get some more software, as I said before. It includes wifi for data, as a laptop does. The big thing that having a Treo connected to it would do (besides giving it something to sync to) is give mobile broadband based on cell towers, as opposed to just Wifi. Not one of these laptops I have listed includes a cell radio either, so you're stranded with those as well.

Besides that, most of us here already have Treos or some other smartphone. Its not like owning a Treo gives you a discount on the other laptops, so the math isn't really flawed as you say.

As I said, I'm not really sold on this yet. I really think they should have kept it under wraps until they could have a bunch more apps included. What are definitely necessary that I can think of off the top of my head are two things they're smart enough to have bundled on the 755p, you'd think they'd realize this device, even if its just a companion, needs them too: media (video, you don't need a 'mobile companion' for audio) player, mobile messaging client (AIM/MSN/Yahoo).

I bet the IM client won't happen though, as from what I understand, windows are always maximized on the Foleo, and an IM client would be best in background usage.

I don't think this will be replacing the laptops that people already have anytime soon; I think a better market is definitely for those who have a desktop at home, and a smartphone, and would sometimes prefer to be able to do more when away from home than a smartphone gives the opportunity for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Jeff and his follyo should be tossed into a van down by the river...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=148785
    Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC version: 1GB RAM, Vista Home Premium
    Our Price: $814.95
    And there are plenty of under $850 laptops (down to $699.) They aren't as small and light, but WTH, they're a full PC... not some..... whatever this is.
    I spent a lot of money for a subnotebook and use it a lot. It has power. Wifi. 'Hibernate' is pretty quick to back on. Raw numbers for price isn't the answer. compare capabilities. Otherwise you might compare a Sammy flip phone to a Treo.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=148785
    Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC version: 1GB RAM, Vista Home Premium
    Our Price: $814.95
    And there are plenty of under $850 laptops (down to $699.) They aren't as small and light, but WTH, they're a full PC... not some..... whatever this is.
    Hmmm hadn't heard of that Samsung one, but in order for wireless access over something other than Wifi on that too, you'd need to buy a Treo or at least a CF EVDO/ GPRS/ EDGE/ whatever radio to plug into the unit, which would put its cost at 850 plus 400, or whatever that costs.

Personally, I couldn't imagine actually using Windows on a screen that size though, which I'd hope is a benefit of the Palm version, that its been designed for that size.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very underwhelmed by the announcement, and I'm not sure that this is a product I'd use either, but except for maybe this Samsung, the advice to look at subnotebooks instead of the Foleo doesn't make too much sense, thats my main point here. As best put the post above mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    I spent a lot of money for a subnotebook and use it a lot.
    We'll see what capabilities are put into the Foleo before its released though, I agree that as of now, it seems it needs a lot of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still very underwhelmed by the announcement, and I'm not sure that this is a product I'd use either, but except for maybe this Samsung, the advice to look at subnotebooks instead of the Foleo doesn't make too much sense, thats my main point here. As best put the post above mine:
    Well, you can say a real sub-notebook is more expensive, but at the same time, this $600 device (you have to mail in a $100 rebate- good luck with that) doesn't have enough processing power to play a flash video either... I can do that on my Treo now, and you can buy a several year old laptop that will spank this in every way... To me, it would make more sense to put that money into a real computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hmmm hadn't heard of that Samsung one, but in order for wireless access over something other than Wifi on that too, you'd need to buy a Treo or at least a CF EVDO/ GPRS/ EDGE/ whatever radio to plug into the unit, which would put its cost at 850 plus 400, or whatever that costs.
    What's your point? The same applies for the Foleo, so there's no difference here.
    [/quote]Personally, I couldn't imagine actually using Windows on a screen that size though, which I'd hope is a benefit of the Palm version, that its been designed for that size.[/quote]
    The Samsung device is a full fledged x86 PC though, which means you have a host of Operating Systems to choose from. Take your pick from several flavors of Windows or whatever variety of Linux is your fancy. People keep talking about Linux on this darn device like it sets it apart from all those windows laptops out there. Just install Linux on your laptop and you've got the same thing!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still very underwhelmed by the announcement, and I'm not sure that this is a product I'd use either, but except for maybe this Samsung, the advice to look at subnotebooks instead of the Foleo doesn't make too much sense, thats my main point here.
    Any of the UMPCs, like that Samsung Q1, will fill your criteria. There's a handful of them that have already been release with a price point under or around $1000, all of them running either Windows XP (tablet PC edition), Vista, or Linux. There are dozens more that have been announced for release in 2007 or 2008 with even greater battery life and capability. They haven't been released yet, but neither has this thing.

Or you can buy a slightly larger notebook for the same price (or cheaper, as I've posted in many threads already) and get a CD/DVD drive adding even greater functionality (movie watching, CD burning, etc).

So you're wrong, it makes all the sense in the world to look at notebooks, subnotebooks, and UMPCs instead of the Foleo. They're in the same price range, same form factor, same size/weight, and blow it out of the water in terms of capability/functionality.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    OK, first of all, you can get a LIGHTER, 7 inch screen REAL WINXP laptop for about 850-900. Its touchscreen version is more expensive but then Foleo doesn't have the toucscreen either.

Second, if you strip of most of the useful bit if a light laptop such as the HDD, you can get the price down to the Foloe level too, so big woopie do!

Third, if that extra $300 dollar is so important to you, just get an old G3 or G4 Apple iBook from ebay. Instant cheap and light Foleo competitor.

So stop defending Foloe's price point and the weight, there is nothing special about it. Want a Linux email device? Get a Nokia n800, you can save $140 and you can watch freaking YouTube on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    OK, first of all, you can get a LIGHTER, 7 inch screen REAL WINXP laptop for about 850-900.
    Yeah, because a 7 inch screen is just as good as a 10.5 inch screen. And a mini keyboard is just as good as a full-size keyboard. And a 70% price premium is nothing. And instant-on is a worthless feature. So are a 5-hour battery life and solid-state electronics.

Third, if that extra $300 dollar is so important to you, just get an old G3 or G4 Apple iBook from ebay. Instant cheap and light Foleo competitor.
    So true. "New" is over-rated.
    Huh? We are trying to have rational discussion here. Those of you who think the Foleo is so great should put up or shut up.

Go buy the Foleo yourself, let's see how you carry a full 2-pound good-for-nothing-but-email box day in and day out.

BTW, can anybody explain to me why do you need a 10 inch screen to check your email? You can display PDF on a blackberry already. If opera 8 can't open google doc/spreadsheet, which probably it won't, then it will have very limited document editing capability. You have to be a serious news reporter or novelist to use that much keyboard time without needing any of the other laptop functions.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Huh? We are trying to have rational discussion here. Those of you who think the Foleo is so great should put up or shut up.

Go buy the Foleo yourself....
    ...and remember to ask for your Palm employee discount!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    OK, first of all, you can get a LIGHTER, 7 inch screen REAL WINXP laptop for about 850-900. Its touchscreen version is more expensive but then Foleo doesn't have the toucscreen either.

Second, if you strip of most of the useful bit if a light laptop such as the HDD, you can get the price down to the Foloe level too, so big woopie do!

So stop defending Foloe's price point and the weight, there is nothing special about it. Want a Linux email device? Get a Nokia n800, you can save $140 and you can watch freaking YouTube on it!
    seriously. my gateway laptop with a celeron M, 15.4" xvga 60 gig hard drive, cd burner, and a gig of ram was a whopping $599. Why would you buy such a uni tasking device that all you can do its connect to a treo or read some email. I can do the same things sync to my laptop, even control my phone through my laptop or my latop from my phone with software thats maybe $30.

I think my treos screen is jsut fine to browse the web or read emails without dropping another $500. And if i wanna drop $500 ill go get a larger screen PPC phone like the cdma 6800/titan (cdma 8252).
    I think that the bottom line is that the foleo solves the wrong problem. The foleo solves a problem that affects perhaps more than a couple of users, but it does it in a way that only a small number of those users would be willing to accept ('cause it's not as portable as a treo) vs. a laptop.

If the smartphone is to become the primary PC interface for the mobile user, then an accessory such as the foleo has to be at least mostly as portable as the smartphone. This means that when setting up the requirements for such a device, you need to be aiming for the size of things such as the folding keyboards.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Most business people who need this type of hardware (small, light, etc.) are generally making enough money to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a fully-functional subnotebook. They're buying plane tickets all over the globe and you think that $600 vs. $1,200 is a consideration when you look at the massive differences between the products? There just isn't a (big enough) market for this device. People who can't afford a subnotebook, to stereotype an entire market segment, are probably not needing the Foleo. People who can afford it, will not want to replace their sub with a Foleo. Why would they do that? Foleo is a disaster for Palm.
    I would recommend taking a look at the Thinkpad X31. It's an older model, but it compares favorably to the FOLEO.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.

Go buy the Foleo yourself, let's see how you carry a full 2-pound good-for-nothing-but-email box day in and day out.

BTW, can anybody explain to me why do you need a 10 inch screen to check your email? You can display PDF on a blackberry already. If opera 8 can't open google doc/spreadsheet, which probably it won't, then it will have very limited document editing capability. You have to be a serious news reporter or novelist to use that much keyboard time without needing any of the other laptop functions.
    I never said the Foleo was great. In fact, I was very disappointed that they didn't come out with something truly revolutionary.

But I think most of the arguments against it are unreasonable. Comparing the 2 lb Foleo to 5 lb laptops is silly. Comparing the Foleo, which has a full-size keyboard and large screen, to a tiny UMPC is silly. Comparing a $500 device to a $2500 device is silly. Assuming that anyone who thinks the Foleo isn't the worst thing in the world must be an employee is retarded.

Making devices entails lots of trade-offs, and not everyone values the same things. It's fine that you don't want this product. Most companies make many products that I don't want. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a market need for them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast