Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    The market is just too small!
    That largely depends on how many you plan on selling
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I agree 100% with most of what is written above. Even if you can't get a decent SMALL powerful laptop for $1500 (c'mon folks be realistic), you can sure as hell get a decent second desktop for the same as a Foleo. I just bought an ASUS powered media PC from CyberPower (no affiliation)...

AMD Core duo 4600, 320GB HD, 2GB RAM, TV Tuner, GE-Force7300LE grafix (w. s-video out), wireless card, 6 USB ports, Multi-channel sound, windows media center remote... all for $700!

Why would anyone want the hassle of lugging another computer around? Just buy another couple of desktops for wherever you're headed to (work, home). Hell, you could even shove one of these in the trunk of the car and tether it to a Treo via PDAnet for under $1000 including a decent display and keyboard. Then you'd have a truly mobile office.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    That largely depends on how many you plan on selling
    You mean it's a signed limited edition Foleo?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quite a few laptops are cheaper though, and some are available that are about the same weight and about the same price (within a 50% margin, say). You only need one to make the Foleo a bad deal, given the vastly greater functionality of a proper laptop.

Mine does 5 hours genuine, and as I timed it earlier today, will go from off to reading a downloaded email in under 30 seconds. Will the Foleo do that?

Fine, but who are these people? Journalists without laptops? Executives who can't figure out Vista and aren't worried who knows it?? Palm employees??? The market is just too small!

First, 50% margin is not "about the same price". If you think it is, then why don't you give me $1000 and I will give you back $501

Second, please name that notebook that you have that will last 5 hours in a single charge with no second battery.

Third, 30 seconds is not instant on. Foleo is instant on, as demoed by Hawkins.

Fourth, nobody said that the foleo is a mass-market device, even Hawkin said that the initial market for foleo is "small." I have never bought a ipod, but that doesn't mean nobody else would.

Bottom line is this, foleo is only the first product from palm in this space. Even if it fails, it won't be the end of the line.

time will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Bottom line is this, foleo is only the first product from palm in this space. Even if it fails, it won't be the end of the line.

time will tell
    Why don't we have another iteration of the Lifedrive then? When this fails (as if it hasn't already) there will not be another in this line.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Huh? We are trying to have rational discussion here. Those of you who think the Foleo is so great should put up or shut up.

Go buy the Foleo yourself, let's see how you carry a full 2-pound good-for-nothing-but-email box day in and day out.
    I have a laptop too, so I have to carry that day in and day out as well? I didn't realize purchasing the Foleo meant I had to always carry it around, especially if I don't need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    BTW, can anybody explain to me why do you need a 10 inch screen to check your email? You can display PDF on a blackberry already. If opera 8 can't open google doc/spreadsheet, which probably it won't, then it will have very limited document editing capability. You have to be a serious news reporter or novelist to use that much keyboard time without needing any of the other laptop functions.
    Simple. I'm an academic who reads tons and tons of .PDF's (journal articles) that are 20-50 pages long each. I also have to deal with long emails, detailed graphs, etc.

I can do that all on my Treo but damn, I'm not reading a 30page PDF on my phone. (Is purchasing a Song eInk/Reader any more useful?)

Of course, I could just do all of that on my laptop but why bring all the extra baggage e.g. I don't need 50% of what my laptop can do. I need a email, doc editing, PDF viewing, web browsing.

I spent $1100 on my laptop and would prefer this. I'm still not saying it's an extrodinary device, revolutionary or everyone will use one. But I can bet that the argument against the first "smartphones" were pretty similar. I still get the "you can't wait till you get home to check your email?" question a lot.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/31/2007 at 03:05 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    First, 50% margin is not "about the same price". If you think it is, then why don't you give me $1000 and I will give you back $501
    What accuracy do you want? People have already posted lists of cheaper laptops; I was just specifying precision. Blame it on my Physics degree

Second, please name that notebook that you have that will last 5 hours in a single charge with no second battery.
    Sony Vaio SZ2.

Third, 30 seconds is not instant on. Foleo is instant on, as demoed by Hawkins.
    It didn't look literally "instant" to me if you want to get picky. Anyway, the point I was making (in this thread and elsewhere) is that you need to do more to perform a real task that just switch the thing on - like download email. That's likely to be faster on my (3G) laptop than on a putative Foleo linked to my GSM 680, as suggested by my own timings.

Fourth, nobody said that the foleo is a mass-market device, even Hawkin said that the initial market for foleo is "small." I have never bought a ipod, but that doesn't mean nobody else would.
    He only said that after the event I think. A few days ago it was going to be a life-changing experience for us all

time will tell
    Indeed. I'm just saying it's overhyped. You seem to be more...optimistic?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I don't know what model he was referring to but my Sony Vaio T2XP can do that
    While using WiFi??
    What accuracy do you want? People have already posted lists of cheaper laptops; I was just specifying precision. Blame it on my Physics degree

Sony Vaio SZ2.

It didn't look literally "instant" to me if you want to get picky. Anyway, the point I was making (in this thread and elsewhere) is that you need to do more to perform a real task that just switch the thing on - like download email. That's likely to be faster on my (3G) laptop than on a putative Foleo linked to my GSM 680, as suggested by my own timings.

He only said that after the event I think. A few days ago it was going to be a life-changing experience for us all

Indeed. I'm just saying it's overhyped. You seem to be more...optimistic?
    Then you wouldn't mind loaning me $1000 and I give you back $501 then. I love physics majors

here is a review on Sony SZ2:

http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...eview=VAIO+SZ2

"Battery

Doing everyday tasks as I have been for the past weeks, using the nVidia graphics and wireless and Bluetooth on I reliably get just under three hours battery life. This is using a high/mid LCD brightness setting. I expect 4+ hours easily using the Intel graphics with wireless switched off. Sony offer an extended life battery, but it is far too expensive at around 240 and increases the size and weight of the laptop considerably (see the notebook review forums)."

5 hours with wifi on? Not according to this reviewer. And how much is this thing? $2000?

Instant on is a very simple concept. let's not complicate it further. I hit the ON bottom and the device comes on, like my microwave oven. Can a notebook pc do that today?

A few days ago nobody even knows what the product is. All hawkins said was that it was going to be a new category of products. And he was very consistent in his first presentation that the initial sale of this product will be small.

I am not optimistic nor pessimistic. I have been in the tech industry long enough to know that it is a long road for any new product launch. I have been wrong many times before and will be wrong many times again. Only the market can decide whether the foleo will be a success or not.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    5 hours with wifi on? Not according to this reviewer.
    I get a full day's work - 9 hours elapsed - out of mine on batteries, connected to a WiFi network. It's not powered up for all that time of course, but it's usable within a few seconds at any point in the day. I estimate that that translates to at least 5 hours continuous work time. That's what the manufacturer's say anyway, and guess what, that's the same authority as we have for the Foleo at the moment.

Instant on is a very simple concept. let's not complicate it further. I hit the ON bottom and the device comes on, like my microwave oven. Can a notebook pc do that today?
    Sorry, I thought we were talking about getting a task done here, not just looking at the pretty lights. These things are tools you know, so it's only fair to time them up to when they are ready to work, which means more than just powered up!
    Last edited by tirk; 05/31/2007 at 06:27 PM.
    The one thing I don't get about the Foleo, is WHERE will this be used? And by Whom?
    In an office, conference room, or desk, a real laptop is going to do more for you.
    On an airplane, you can't use a Foleo since it's all wireless. But you can use a laptop as it has internal storage.

I suppose a reporter could use this to file stories literally from the side of a road or at a sports game. But even they sometimes need to send digital photos which Foleo isn't going to handle.

Seriously. When would someone rather USE a Foleo instead of a laptop, or only a PDA phone?

It seems like such a very specific niche that few are going to find the value in it.
    Brand new thinkpad X61 is only a shade over $1k (=foleo+treo).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...E1A6952DF8E9DF

Or, get a used X40 off ebay for less than JUST the foleo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Lenovo-Think...QQcmdZViewItem

*edit*

oops posted in haste, didn't realize ppl had already trotted out the thinkpad comparisons.
    The Fooleo just does not make economic sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    I would recommend taking a look at the Thinkpad X31. It's an older model, but it compares favorably to the FOLEO.
    My last three Treos, a 600, 650, and 680 have all had real problems. The 680 has serious battery and power problems that have not been solved.

I would love a "modern" Samsung i500, Treo 270 or Treo 300. (The Treo 180g would be perfect with the Foleo). Give the GSM versions a quad band radio, give any of them 3G data, and they will work better than the current devices. Without data, they would all be bettern than the current Treos as smartphones.

I think the foleo will be a great success. The reason is the full keyboard with pointing device and the large screen. Corporate EMAIL is a non isssue because of the Opera Browser. For most corporate use, Outlook Exchange Web interface is easier and more reliable than most exchange email clients and gives a user access to email, corporate calentdars and contact lists...
    Palm's spec sheet for the Treo 650 is 300 hours standby (or 12.5 days!) or 6 hours of talk time. Anyone else get anywhere near those numbers? I think I probably have gotten 4 hours of talk time/120 hours of standby at best... Based on that lofty statment by Palm, I'm guessing their "5 hours on battery" spec is going to be without WiFi as well.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    300 hours is 12.5 days. No way. The most you can get out of a 650 in standby is 4 days with it doing NOTHING. No data, no alarms, no schedules, no nothing else. Just phone standby.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123