Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I've spent much of the day studying the Foleo, viewing the Webcast, and reading everyone's comments about the product. I've been a power PC user since 1980ish and have owned and used many laptops, notebooks, and sub-notebooks over the past 25 years or so (all the way from the original Compaq luggable to the tiny Zeos Contenda). Since 1995 I have been also a constant Palm user...from the III to the Treo 300, 600, and 650..and soon to own a 755p.

Right now I have a desktop at home and use a laptop for work that I lug back and forth. The Foleo appeals to me because I'm one of those that carry a pad of paper in a leather 'folio to all my meeetings, along with my Treo. I could undock my laptop, unlock the security cable, and take my Thinkpad to the meetings but it's too much of a bother, the battery life sucks, and it is not very lightweight. The Foleo would replace my 'folio, and not weigh much more. The instant on is a real winner in this respect. I have found that I am not effective in taking quick notes on the Treo as I would be if I had a full size keyboard. I love that the security keeps it locked up unless my Treo is in range. And the Video out is a nice feature for conference room presentations.

When I travel, unless there was some reason I needed all of the capabilties of my laptop, I might bring the laptop, but it would mostly stay in the bag and I would bring out the Foleo instead

I find myself using my Treo more and more to check all of my email accounts and is fast becoming my primary computing, news, communications, and entertainment device. When I am home, almost the only reason that I even turn on my PC is because at my age, the bigger screen of my desktop monitor is easier to read.

I see the potential for the Foleo. I like where it might take us if the killer software gets developed. And, if equipped with a more powerful processor it could be a real laptop replacement for lots of potential users. For me, I can do without Youtube...for now. It can allow me to be mobile without losing much of my desktop's capabilities. I've been thinking of getting a personal laptop...but I'll get a Folio instead.

The $499 isn't a big deal to me. I may even buy a few to give to my kids, for whom I have already provided Treos. I think my son, the Linux engineer, will especially find it to be a real neat gadget to play with.

I'm sure that many of you will laugh and criticize my opinions...but this thing might just be the answer for enough people for long enough until perhaps the software and hardware developers find the right combination of applications and features to make the concept a huge market success. It's a good first step...maybe not the giant leap that many of you had wanted...but give it a chance and lets see what happens over the next 6 months before you proclaim it the worst product design in the history of all mankind.
    My response is, work buys my laptops, and wheter listening to music, watching videos, surfing the web, video editing, playing with photoshop I can do it on works computer even though it has nothing to do with work. Because I can.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The Foleo is on target for my needs. I use my Treo for email and basic web surfing when traveling, but the Treo's screen is too small to make most websites workable. The Foleo provides a way to overcome the limitation of the Treo's screen, without having to lug around a heavy notebook computer.

My only hope is that the Bluetooth connection with my Treo 680 will be rock solid, because BT on the Treo 680 is sometimes flaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    I've spent much of the day studying the Foleo, viewing the Webcast, and reading everyone's comments about the product. I've been a power PC user since 1980ish and have owned and used many laptops, notebooks, and sub-notebooks over the past 25 years or so (all the way from the original Compaq luggable to the tiny Zeos Contenda). Since 1995 I have been also a constant Palm user...from the III to the Treo 300, 600, and 650..and soon to own a 755p.

Right now I have a desktop at home and use a laptop for work that I lug back and forth. The Foleo appeals to me because I'm one of those that carry a pad of paper in a leather 'folio to all my meeetings, along with my Treo. I could undock my laptop, unlock the security cable, and take my Thinkpad to the meetings but it's too much of a bother, the battery life sucks, and it is not very lightweight. The Foleo would replace my 'folio, and not weigh much more. The instant on is a real winner in this respect. I have found that I am not effective in taking quick notes on the Treo as I would be if I had a full size keyboard. I love that the security keeps it locked up unless my Treo is in range. And the Video out is a nice feature for conference room presentations.

When I travel, unless there was some reason I needed all of the capabilties of my laptop, I might bring the laptop, but it would mostly stay in the bag and I would bring out the Foleo instead

I find myself using my Treo more and more to check all of my email accounts and is fast becoming my primary computing, news, communications, and entertainment device. When I am home, almost the only reason that I even turn on my PC is because at my age, the bigger screen of my desktop monitor is easier to read.

I see the potential for the Foleo. I like where it might take us if the killer software gets developed. And, if equipped with a more powerful processor it could be a real laptop replacement for lots of potential users. For me, I can do without Youtube...for now. It can allow me to be mobile without losing much of my desktop's capabilities. I've been thinking of getting a personal laptop...but I'll get a Folio instead.

The $499 isn't a big deal to me. I may even buy a few to give to my kids, for whom I have already provided Treos. I think my son, the Linux engineer, will especially find it to be a real neat gadget to play with.

I'm sure that many of you will laugh and criticize my opinions...but this thing might just be the answer for enough people for long enough until perhaps the software and hardware developers find the right combination of applications and features to make the concept a huge market success. It's a good first step...maybe not the giant leap that many of you had wanted...but give it a chance and lets see what happens over the next 6 months before you proclaim it the worst product design in the history of all mankind.
    You are kidding right? I am not laughing but sad at your thinking about $499 is not a big deal to you. And if people like you who can buy for their kids Foleo and treo, are the primary target for Foleo then I cant blame Palm to be messed up.
    As per software etc. With this hardware, I dont think you can do enough. I would take Apple TV hardware with small LCD over Foleo anyday.

I just am feeling sorry for people who own Palm stocks and who thought at last Palm will come around and invent something worth or close to Treo600 of past. Damn.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts

Do you work for Palm?
    Thats an affirmative, ghostrider. As for the rest of us non-palm employees, the pattern is full. no-way-in-helleo.
    Hey OP,
    Do you want to adopt another kid. I'm low maintenance, honest!

But seriously, what you are talking about can be accomplished by a $50 bluetooth keyboard and a decent smartphone with a proper screen. But I guess you're stuck with the treo's miniscule keyboard and screen. Not to mention, its buggy bluetooth implementation. How in the world do they expect this fooleo to maintain sync with a Treo when bluetooth on their phones is so problematic?

You know what they say, though: a fooleo and his money are soon parted. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    No, I don't work for Palm. And I don't have any Palm stock or have any real emotional investment in them at all. If they can produce products that serve my needs at a price that I think is reasonable, I will buy them. If not, I'll buy something else. And as for anyone feeling sad that I think $499 is not a big deal, that is more a personal issue than anything else. My kids all put themselves through college on full scholarships, so anything I spend on them to help them be more successful or productive is the least I can do for them.

If you would care to tell me how "Apple TV hardware with small LCD" can do for me exactly what the Foleo can do, I'm all ears.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    Hey OP,
    Do you want to adopt another kid. I'm low maintenance, honest!

But seriously, what you are talking about can be accomplished by a $50 bluetooth keyboard and a decent smartphone with a proper screen. But I guess you're stuck with the treo's miniscule keyboard and screen. Not to mention, its buggy bluetooth implementation. How in the world do they expect this fooleo to maintain sync with a Treo when bluetooth on their phones is so problematic?

You know what they say, though: a fooleo and his money are soon parted. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.
    Like I said, if it doesn't work as advertised and can't hold the bluetooth connection, then I won't be buying it because it doesn't suit my needs. But I won't know until I at least try and I've got almost nothing to lose. And what is the "decent smartphone with a proper screen" that you would recommend that is anywhere near the size on the Foleo screen?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Palm will be lucky if they sell 10 of these, there will be no corporate market for this. We already have $500 laptops with 80 gig HD. The future is laptop and a smart device, be it Treo, BB, or win. Plam has realy missed the mark with this.
    Like I said, if it doesn't work as advertised and can't hold the bluetooth connection, then I won't be buying it because it doesn't suit my needs. But I won't know until I at least try and I've got almost nothing to lose. And what is the "decent smartphone with a proper screen" that you would recommend that is anywhere near the size on the Foleo screen?
    If you're really looking for a device with a screen that large and want your money's worth a sub-notebook is the way to go.

You would be suprised, though, that a device with even a moderately larger rectangular screen is far better on the eyes than the Treo's. Check out the HTC devices.
    I probably won't buy a Foleo just because I don't think if fits my current needs as a user. I don't travel much...I have access to a lappy if I do...and my email needs are minimal. I sit at a desktop most of the day and spend ~20% of my time in meetings. My 700p works fine for me in daily situations.

But in a past life (late 90's) I did travel quite a lot doing equipment installs. 6 months of somewhere new (mostly major cities) almost every 2-3 weeks. I traveled with a lead weight laptop and I thought it was a major pain to tote, set up, boot up, connect to the internet, email, office, whatever, then break it all down and stow every morning to move to the jobsite to resetup, etc, etc. Functionally it was fine, logistically a pain.

A foleo might have been a nice alternative for everyday messaging, reports, etc(assuming all things are equal on the technological and network front.) I needed AutoCad so the full blown lappy was a necessity, but the lightweight Foleo would have been much easier to deal with day to day, or just back in the hotel drumming out minor paperwork, the internet and a sixer. I could have left the lunker lappy at the jobsite, and breezed on the Foleo.

Right now, I'm kinda lookin' and laughin'...but I do see potential for a niche group of hardcore travelers which could possibly benefit right away from a lightweight, instant on, improved UI device that can do light office work and messaging without breaking out the two ton lappy. Granted, laptops have evolved since the late 90's and they are a lot more portable, faster, better batteries, etc., but I'd still would have loved to try the Foleo in my situation, given what I've read so far.

I'm holding off final yea/ney until I see/read about a production unit. I am interested to see how the development community reacts once it's in their hands and we see it's real capabilities. I'm going to see what it can do before I dismiss it all together. I'm interested in Palm Linux. I'm interested what can be come up with to make the Foleo worth something more than a niche. I'm interested to see the screen, feel the KB, and give it a spin.

But, still, not too interested in paying $500 for one quite yet. I need to see more...

Philosophically, I want to love the Foleo concept. I'm never going to get rid of my desktop (well, unless AutoCad is going to be running soon on a Treo) but I'd love to have an unified messaging and light work device that is totally seamless and synchronized with all the desktops in my life, and allows me access to my data all the time, anywhere, quickly. I'm not sure the Foleo is the right form factor, but the concept is valid, and exciting. I'm going to let it unfold..
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    My feelings are mixed right now. I've been telling my wife for several weeks that I wish I had a bigger keyboard and display for my 650. I do have a bluetooth keyboard that works pretty well, but frequently like to see what it is I'm writing.

I think ideally I'd like a UMPC, but the models I see that would be nice are over $1000. Maybe the Foleo is something to consider, but with a more powerful smartphone. I'm waiting to see what I will get phone wise until later this year.

I expect to have many more smartphones through the years. But without a keyboard or display, they have their limitations.

My job has me giving frequent presentations to just a few people at a time. I don't know what Power Point would look like on the Foleo, but it might just work.

Anyway, it may get paired with another brand of smartphone, but it is worth considering for what I use.
    fredc1,

thanks for sharing your perspective with us. I am still on the fence regarding whether Foleo is right for me, but I can definitely see how foleo can be an ideal product for customers like you. The $66,000 question is this - how big is this segment of the market?

In any case, foleo is the first step of the long journey for a new product category. The hardware spec may not be sexy, but the software platform will usher in a new era for palm and mobile computing.
    i dont get what the purpose of the foleo is. if you want something to sync your treo to just get a $500 laptop, youll get way more use out of it, and bluetooth sync to it. You can use controller programs to control your treo through the computer or vice versa. I dont get why anyone would buy such a 1 dimensional uni-tasking device that all it does it extend the treo's screen and keyboard. It makes no sense and is clearly looking more and more like another niche device to fail. So much for all the hype huh?

Heck if you wanna blow $500 on essentially a useless toy send it my way!
    It is a little early for me to make a concrete decision on the Foleo BUT, if it I was able to load Delorme GPS soft and connect a GPS antenna to it then i would be all over it. I have been looking for a small computer that is relatively cheap (the foleo is much less than I expect to spend) and safe to mount in my car while traveling.

Google maps is great and so are the other programs out there but I can't plot 500 plus waypoints.

Time will tell though.
    no one is saying this doesn't have a market- its just that market is way too small.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    no one is saying this doesn't have a market- its just that market is way too small.
    Let's see...

Jeff surely bought one (with all those stock sale proceeds)...
    Ed will get one...
    Donna probably will too...
    And that guy down in accounting on the 22nd floor...

How many sales is that so far?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    If the Foleo is a way to do anything on my 755, including Pocket Quicken, I'd say I'll buy one.

What I would really love, is to be able to use Foleo with Remote Desktop. If I could Remote Desktop using the Foleo, I'm definitely buying one.

You mentioned the idea of whipping out the Foleo to do a quick Word doc. or take notes. I think that's a pretty good reason to have one, but not a must have reason.
    You know, I've been using computers for a little over 20 years now, and have just come to the conclusion that they do too much. I really don't need all that extra functionality and ability that computers have gained in the last 10 or 15 years, so I'm going to buy a Foleo to bring me back to the nostalgic 90's when laptops didn't have CD or DVD drives, when 128MB of RAM was HUGE, when full-motion video was just a dream, and...oh wait, this can't even do what computers could do 10 years ago!

And just what exactly does everyone have in mind for those "killer apps" that are supposedly going to surface for this thing? What's it going to do for me that I can't do on my laptop? Are you guy just in this "If you build it, they will come" mindset expecting the unknown masses on the internet to program and port programs to your crappy little device?
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast