Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mw22 View Post
    It may in future releases
    Another good reason for not buying this release then.

But with the vibrant linux community being able to write for the "open" OS on the foleo - who knows
    But will Palm allow it be any more "open" than Apple are the 'nix variant on the iPhone?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Apple have apparently relented and are going to allow 3rd party to write for iphone or so the article says
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Apple have apparently relented and are going to allow 3rd party to write for iphone or so the article says
    Really? I hadn't heard that they were allowing anything other than certain 3rd party applications that they like the look of written by people Jobs plays golf with.

Then again, I may have missed the announcement. The ratio of drool to information on the iPhone section here is sickeningly high
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    As it doesn't do windowing, I'm not sure you can look up links whilst editing a document on the Foleo actually.
    As for not allowing windowing...I believe *that* is a good idea. I always maximized every window possible to get the full use out of my 10" screen. It was a pain because some windows wouldn't start out maximized, so I would love to not have to mess with windowing. They're obviously going to have a way to switch between apps.

....as for copying and pasting, there's no more Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V anymore. 'Cause there's no Ctrl key!!!!

And if they didn't leave a way to copy & paste with the keyboard, they should kill themselves. But I'd imagine that it will have to be accessed from a menu. I *do* believe that their menus that display the keyboard hotkey for all commands is a friggin awesome design, because using your keyboard is always less stressful on your battery than using the mouse/pointer -- always!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I'll buy a Foleo because......

I'm a flipin *****.
    Foolio me once, shame on you...

Seriously, this thing is going to sink so fast it going to cause a time/space distortion!

Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I'll buy a Foleo because......

I'm a flipin *****.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Hmmm I once a few years ago read a thread like this for a very popular device now but not so popular back then. That device was the iPod.

Stuff like "who is going to pay $300 for another MP3 player" "I will never trust all my music to a hard drive" and "WTF! an Apple MP3 player? iPod? more like iTurd!" and now Jobs and company are laughing all the way to the bank and the naysayers are still using crappy Sansa players while they loath their friends iPods.

Foleo is no iPod, is not a revolutionary device but is a device that addresses the need of a growing market. It won't sell 2 million units in a year but will sell enough units to warrant a generation II device and bring some more sub-2lbs laptops/umpc competition. Lack of vision is a *****!

I won't probably buy a first gen but will keep my eye on the device for future development and 3rd party app support. I am a pro photographer for a newspaper and travel all around the country carrying my 6lbs laptop. If this device allows me to FTP my pictures from my 16GB CF to the newspaper server wherever I am count me in for 1.
    I have spoken to a lot of less tech savvy people and just by saying would you like an 8 hour machine that reads your mail and surfs the net and does basic word excel and powerpoint and reads pdfs.

WOW

all of them said Hey where can I get it - is it for sale yet ???

So maybe Hawkins is right

This thing is for the less tech savvy masses.

I dony blame all of us being upset as we as we all thpught the 3rd business would be something like HTCs Shift - powerfu; sleek and a mean machine.

He is obviously going for the masses - and there will be sales out there.
  9. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I have spoken to a lot of less tech savvy people and just by saying would you like an 8 hour machine that reads your mail and surfs the net and does basic word excel and powerpoint and reads pdfs.

WOW

I dony blame all of us being upset as we as we all thpught the 3rd business would be something like HTCs Shift - powerfu; sleek and a mean machine.

Dude, do you work in retail or was it just like a random bunch of people you know? That's crazy, it does kinda make you step back and realize that you're in a site full of Palm enthusiasts so of course the view does get somewhat distorted.

Yeah, i think in one of the videos Colligan compares the Foleo's situation to that of the Wii's.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyPR View Post
    Hmmm I once a few years ago read a thread like this for a very popular device now but not so popular back then. That device was the iPod.

Stuff like "who is going to pay $300 for another MP3 player" "I will never trust all my music to a hard drive" and "WTF! an Apple MP3 player? iPod? more like iTurd!" and now Jobs and company are laughing all the way to the bank and the naysayers are still using crappy Sansa players while they loath their friends iPods.

Foleo is no iPod, is not a revolutionary device but is a device that addresses the need of a growing market. It won't sell 2 million units in a year but will sell enough units to warrant a generation II device and bring some more sub-2lbs laptops/umpc competition. Lack of vision is a *****!

I won't probably buy a first gen but will keep my eye on the device for future development and 3rd party app support. I am a pro photographer for a newspaper and travel all around the country carrying my 6lbs laptop. If this device allows me to FTP my pictures from my 16GB CF to the newspaper server wherever I am count me in for 1.
    Give the link to that thread please.
    Give the link to that thread please.
    Here you go:
    Slashdot from October 2001

Thanks for asking. It was pretty fun skimming through the comments. There was a mix of positive and negative. It's funny to see many that were similar to the reactions to the Foleo.

Here are some excerpts:
    Apple releases iPod
    No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

Apple reminds me more of Commodore every day
    Goofy internal projects, expensive gaffes trying to "diversify" into areas it has only a tenuous relationship to, a complete inability to understand markets, and a constitutional immunity against learning from their mistakes.

There is no future in a $400 (about $250 too expensive) firewire-only (5% of computer users) hardrive-based (read: fragile) mp3 player. Any one of these critical flaws might doom the product - take them all together and you have another classic corporate farce.

When you see silliness on this level, though, normally you expect to see a raging egotist who is immune to common sense and criticism in some position of power in the company... oh wait, Steve Jobs. Never mind.

This just reinforces my steadily growing sense of foreboding about Apple. Yes, I've said this before and been wrong, but I'll say it again anyway. They're living on borrowed time.

Apple's new computer name
    iDontCare

A waste of time. Probably OEMed by someone else.
    Agree with the article poster - Lame. Not only is this a lackluster MP3 unit (which by virtue of being firewire will be limited to Apple Mac owners), but it has virtually no UI wizardry that might define it as an Apple product.

A total waste of time.

I happenned again.
    Apple is being distroyed by the rumors that are being created. When they announce that they are going to have a new product, everyone thinks it's going to blow their worlds. Rumors start flooding in about even the most outragous products ( I even heard a few "sources" mention teleportion) This is getting plain stupid.

Apple is a normal company. Why does the public constantly expect them do the impossible?

Re:I happenned again.
    You are misattributing the source of the rumors. These rumors are not being created by mindless masses who expect Apple to save the world--they are being created by Steve Jobs and his faithful band of marketeers. He probably is just trying to get press by being the only other thing going on in technology this week (aside from WinXP launch). "And in other news...". They've been leaking that they have a revolutionary secret new product that they can't tell anyone about for a while--these rumors are part of their marketing scheme.

Apple invented the mythos that they weren't a normal company, and that they could do the impossible. If they continue to perpetuate these ideas, and if (as you claim) it hurts them, then its their own fault.

iPod or iPoo?

Solid State?
    What happens when I drop it? Is it solid state? If not, it doesn't make it note worthy in my books.

Argh
    And I was all excited they were going to release a OS X based wireless web pad. Instead we get yet another portable MP3 player .. "groundbreaking" I think was the term I heard them use to describe this new secret product the other day. How "groundbreaking" can something be when I can walk up the street and buy something with similiar (and in some cases, additional/better) features?

Sigh. One day Apple will live up to the hype.

What they should have announced:
    Here's what I think Apple should haved announced:

Does anyone else see this as a non-event?
    Apple makes a portable music player... whoopee. It has some advancements over typical MP3 players, but my god it's NOT revolutionary.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Here you go:
    Slashdot from October 2001

Thanks for asking. It was pretty fun skimming through the comments. There was a mix of positive and negative. It's funny to see many that were similar to the reactions to the Foleo.

Here are some excerpts:
    Browsing through the comments, I found more positive than negative. Not so with the Foolio.
    Browsing through the comments, I found more positive than negative. Not so with the Foolio.
    Slashdot seemed relatively positive about the Foleo too. It was the spurned Palm fanboys at TC who reacted most bitterly.

WOW

This will be OK until they try to install cometcursor and it doesn't work. Then it will be promptly returned.

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    It was the spurned Palm fanboys at TC who reacted most bitterly.
    Oh the irony, the irony!

I think many of the nay sayers on here are under estimating simplicity of the average mobile consumer. The average person on the go doesn't use half the power of a laptop when they are on the move. For example, when I am on BART on my way to work(and for the record I am a teacher not a palm employee) in the morning. I see people doing the very things that Hawkins claims a Foleo is supposed to do. I see them reading and writing email, working on documents, web browsing and playing games.

So, I guess the real question is why would I get another device as opposed to use my phone or laptop for this. I think Hawkins addresses this indirectly in his web cast a D5. A phones view is too small to get a lot of quality work done and a laptop is too heavy, too short battery life, and to complex(by complex I think he means boot up time and apps switching etc.).

I am willing to reserve final judgment on the Foleo till I can see it and handle it myself.
    Last edited by JasonRM79; 06/05/2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
    JasonRM79

Owner
    Palm m100
    Palm Tungsten E
    Palm Treo 650
    Palm Treo 750
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    I think many of the nay sayers on here are under estimating simplicity of the average mobile consumer. The average person on the go doesn't use half the power of a laptop when they are on the move

Thanks Jason79

That says it in a nutshell

I am a severe palm enthusiast as are most of us here.

Problem is that we have risen to a level where by we no longer can see the lowly oke at the bottom anymore

I think the Foleo will not appeal to everyone

But again it depends on needs

Imagine your kid doing homework
    Word Excel Pdf internet and he is home for the count !!
    How many kids outh there !!!!
    Imagine your kid doing homework
    Which is why they are trying to sell this to smartphone using executives earning $100 000 per year. Right?

Surur
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Mom - where is the media player on this POS?

Mom - why do youtube video play all funny on this POS?

Mom - why don't any of my flash games work on this POS?

Mom - why can't I install MSM msger on this POS?

Mom - how do I synch my music player to this POS?

I think it's fantasy to think that kids want some dumbed down machine.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast